I purchased the Blackberry Torch 9800 last October or November. At first, I thought it was just me and getting used to a new phone, (have had Curve, Pearl, 8900, etc...I truly love Blackberrys), but it's not just me.

I don't want to go into all of the issues I have with this phone. I simply want to state that it's the worst cell phone I've ever owned.

It freezes, the screen goes black and gives weird message about pushing the unlock button, it doesn't register my touch all the time...well, the bottom line is this...again, it is by far the WORST cell phone I've used.

I am seriously considering just going back to my 8900, that's how bad it is. I have to reboot, (remove the battery), about 3 times/week. Ridiculous for a smart phone these days.

I know you say to post all my info, screen shots of the problems, descriptions of the problems, but I'm not really asking for fixes. I'm just venting because I love Blackberrys but I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated with this one!

I'll never, ever own an IPhone, but yet may go with something different as soon as my contract is up...in another 2 years...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Also, I purchased from an AT&T Authorized Dealer and it took over 6 months for me to realize that my phone sucked, so didn't return in the first 60 days.
    jlspeed29 likes this.
    03-06-11 09:30 PM
    Did you try updating the OS to .448 or .450? It improves the Torch's performance quite a bit from the stock .246

After updating mine to .448 changed my perception of the Torch
    03-06-11 09:35 PM
    If you accidently push the lock button, you will get a message telling you to push it again. I agree this ridiculous button was likely slipped into the engineering of the new BBs by a nefarious competitor who hacked into the RIM design department network, but there it is. The touchscreen will miss a few taps. They all do. On the reboot thing it could be an app, but who knows why you are rebooting it. For all we know you the voices tell you to. Whatever. As you said, you don't want it to work, you just want to cry like little beotch. Sounds like you got the right device after all.
    03-06-11 09:46 PM
    I couldnt agree with you more..the 9800 is a POS half-*** phone...its ALMOST the perfect phone but sadly its not.. this thing will be unlocked and sold as soon as the Torch 2 supposedly comes out

and the fact that we have to upgrade to a non-official OS is effing ridiculous ....say your phone bricks in the middle of the update and you cant get it back...you cant take it back to the store? all the time its going to take you to fix it is unacceptable..until then, for the less risk averse we have to wait for the official OS upgrades to come out
    Last edited by jlspeed29; 03-06-11 at 10:02 PM.
    03-06-11 09:57 PM
    If you accidently push the lock button, you will get a message telling you to push it again. I agree this ridiculous button was likely slipped into the engineering of the new BBs by a nefarious competitor who hacked into the RIM design department network, but there it is. The touchscreen will miss a few taps. They all do. On the reboot thing it could be an app, but who knows why you are rebooting it. For all we know you the voices tell you to. Whatever. As you said, you don't want it to work, you just want to cry like little beotch. Sounds like you got the right device after all.
    Sorry if I offended, ****...uh, PETER. Just venting on an appropriate forum since it seems that others have had similar frustrations.
    03-06-11 10:16 PM
    Did you try updating the OS to .448 or .450? It improves the Torch's performance quite a bit from the stock .246

After updating mine to .448 changed my perception of the Torch
    Well, my BB Desktop Software doesn't show any updates. I have seen posts about how to update but should I do that even if my carrier hasn't sent out the update?

Thanx for your help.
    03-06-11 10:20 PM
    I've done it, it doesn't really hurt to try, but a heads up if you end up with technical issues and require tech support. Sometimes carriers refuse to provide technical support if you are running a different OS that they didn't release officially.

Personally I agree with much of your ranting. But really got to find ways to deal with it until another better Blackberry launches
    03-06-11 10:24 PM
    I'm on the original .246 OS and its lightning fast with no lag and no issues once so ever. Its weird how some people have lots of issues and others have had great experience.

But if there are any issues a reload of the OS or upgrade should cure lots if not all your issues. Also did you transer any of your apps over from your old phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-11 11:06 PM
    Sorry if I offended, ****...uh, PETER. Just venting on an appropriate forum since it seems that others have had similar frustrations.

Dude, it's a Blackberry. They are really good at security and push email. After that anything else on the planet is going to make you happier. Oh, and there is that BBM thing which, since it is somewhat a social phenomenon, is completely lost on me. There isn't a person on this board that couldn't whinge out loud for hours if they were honest with themselves. Most of the foibles are minor and or have work-arounds. These forums exist to share that info. Perhaps this parable will help explain:

A small bird decided to buck convention and eschew migration. By mid December he has realized this would not end well. While he was shivering in a pasture and waiting for the end, a cow happened along and defecated right on his little head. This warmed the bird and gave him hope. In a moment of joy he began to sing. Hearing this, a cat wandered over, plucked the bird from the feces, and ate him. The moral is not everyone who defecates on you is your enemy, not everyone who plucks you from the feces is your friend, and if you are warm and happy in a pile of ****, keep your mouth shut.
    03-06-11 11:07 PM
    Guaranteed that if you update to an OS version that isn't over a half year old and your issues will be gone. I've found the Torch to be extremely responsive, I never have issues with random reboots, and I can run my device with heavy usage for weeks without any slowdown issues or need for a battery pull.

As for the mention of having to install a "non-official OS" on your device to have it operate properly, all the leaked OS versions are straight from RIM. Carriers are often months behind with updating their "officially supported" OS and offering it to consumers, quite simply because once they get the sale, they often don't care to provide the best service possible in this area.

If you want your device to be up-to-date, you'll have to download the leaked OS yourself and install it. It isn't difficult to do, it's safe, and reversible should for some reason you decide to go to another version. People who complain that they shouldn't have to do these updates to have their device work properly need to wake up and give themselves a reality check and stop being so lazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by d7walls; 03-07-11 at 04:05 AM.
    03-07-11 03:55 AM
    I have been using torch since Sep, 2010. Its touch was slightly unresponsive with original OS .246. i have been updating OS on continious basis first .337>>.448 and now hybrid torch V3 .481. now, touch is very spontaneous and quick too. my battery is sufficient for day long operation. I put for recharge when I go to sleep everyday.
    03-07-11 05:01 AM
    when i first got the phone i went nuts downloading apps and nonstop playing... after about a month the phone became very laggy and started freezing. thought the phone was defective. i did a full wipe and downloaded all the apps again 1 by 1 and have not had an issue since
    03-07-11 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD