I live in Canada. Shortly after Att launched the Torch, my business
    partner happened to be in NY so he called me and said he was gonna
    pick one up. He asked if he should grab me one as well-- I said sure!

I had been reading about all kinda stuff that was wrong with it so I
    have to admit, I was a little scared and excited all at the same time. However, being a BB fan/user
    since the beginning of time-- I had to have one.

My partner gets back into town, I unlock it the minute he gets here
    (we're in the industry-- we own a chain of mobile phone retail
    stores). And what-do-you-know?!?!-- Wobble wobble wobble-- freeze
    freeze freeze. I actually fell into a mild depression lol. How could
    this be?! THIS was the phone that would have it all. This was the phone that
    would end the iphone or BB dilema.

3 days later, I sold it for a 200$ loss. Very VERY depressing. Didn't care about the 200$, The problem was-- It was the first time I didn't fall in love with a new BB.

Fast forward a few weeks to TODAY.
    Rogers launched the Torch a week or so ago. On friday, I called a friend of ours who owns a chain of Rogers stores (we own Fido stores) and asked him to send me a couple of 9800s.
    I've been using mine since friday. It's now sunday and I've yet to put it down. It came pre loaded with .246. The OS has so far been super stable. The slider is solid as a rock. I got 2 units--They were both that way so it was no fluke. (build is Mexico 5)

I think my wife is jealous. She hasn't said anything but I KNOW she's pissed!! LOL She hates it whenever I bond with my latest gadget.

So, it's been great using it as a toy all weekend... I'm curious to see how it's gonna perform during the work week. I'm sure it'll be good.

Wish us luck :-)
    10-10-10 01:28 PM
    you're living my dream man!... owning a chain of cellphones/smartphones..
    Wow!
    10-10-10 01:32 PM
    The current OS is definitely an improvement ... if your first one had the old .141 OS, that very well could have been the cause of all your freezes. Having a good solid device with no wobble certainly gives a more positive feeling, too. Very glad to hear your second experience is better than your first!
    10-10-10 01:46 PM
    Please anyone tell me when Verizon will get the Torch. Im dying to get one but the AT&T service where I live sucks. So Verizon will have to get them for me to have one.
    10-10-10 02:15 PM
    i doubt that verizon will get a the torch..
    the same way the blackberry Bold 9000 stayed with AT&T
    10-10-10 02:17 PM
    Enjoy your phone! Hubby and I both got ours on first day, and we've had nothing but great experiences. We're extremely happy...

Now I'm waiting for the 9780, just because I'm obsessed with new phones.
    10-10-10 02:21 PM
    I had an issue with my 1st Torch also, none of the applictions would load...would say "cant connect to server" everything that was "supposed" to load never did. When i brought it back, the guy showed me that his worked perfectly fine, i showed him mine he said there was an issue....long story short, he gave me a new one with no issues on the loading of sites or apps, but the battery life is 6 hours! i am alittle upset because i dont abuse it, i dont have instant messaging set up, i dont send emails, i dont have my wifi on, and i still get 6 or 7 hours of battery life! this is insane
    10-10-10 03:28 PM
    TedZone, I'm also on my second go around with the Torch. I currently use a Storm 2 on Verizon and my wife uses an iphone 3gs, so we are a two carrier family (for now). The torch is so addictive for my work as well as social. Only two gripes are 1) I worry about the call/send panel (as I suspected earlier) and 2) the media card should have been 16gigs like on the Storm 2.

I'm hopeful that I'll make my final choice by the end of my 30 days. Who knows, maybe I"ll keep 'em both ; )
    10-10-10 07:11 PM
    Hey, I'm glad you gave it a 2nd chance and it worked out. Like Qbnkelt, I also bought my Torch on release day....unfortunately the phone (even with the latest OS) doesn't work for my heavy phone usage. It gets too hot and won't charge due to the heat sensors. So, tonight, I gave my Torch to my sister in law.....she is about to have a heart attack because she is in love with this phone. So my Torch is on it's 2nd chance, only with someone who will love her like I could never do <tear flick> :'O(
    10-10-10 07:44 PM
    Hey, I'm glad you gave it a 2nd chance and it worked out. Like Qbnkelt, I also bought my Torch on release day....unfortunately the phone (even with the latest OS) doesn't work for my heavy phone usage. It gets too hot and won't charge due to the heat sensors. So, tonight, I gave my Torch to my sister in law.....she is about to have a heart attack because she is in love with this phone. So my Torch is on it's 2nd chance, only with someone who will love her like I could never do <tear flick> :'O(
    I guess it's too late now, but had you considered returning it for a replacement within the 30-day window? A hot battery is not normal, even under heavy usage. I've been banging on mine all day, and the only time it got even slightly warm was while it was cupped in my hand for an unusually long phone call. I would think excessive battery heat would have been reason enough to give you a replacement.

But, since a new one is probably not an option now, I'd be curious to hear what you're considering replacing it with.
    10-10-10 07:52 PM
    I'm definately loving it. We haven't recieved oem pouches yet. That's always been a must for me. The sleep function really rocks. I think it's needed more than ever now with the 9800 cause the sleep button unsleeps the phone WAY too easily and i'm always afraid of calling out ir answering when I don't mean to. Slipping it into the pouch intended for that unit-- with the magnet in the right place will solve that. To any of you who have been enjoying the 9800-- how's the batt life?? Some people are really whining here. I'm coming from a 9700 and an ip4. Both no excuse phones for batt. I REALLY dont wanna be walking around with a charger in my pocket. Any input??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 08:41 PM
    I'm definately loving it. We haven't recieved oem pouches yet. That's always been a must for me. The sleep function really rocks. I think it's needed more than ever now with the 9800 cause the sleep button unsleeps the phone WAY too easily and i'm always afraid of calling out ir answering when I don't mean to. Slipping it into the pouch intended for that unit-- with the magnet in the right place will solve that. To any of you who have been enjoying the 9800-- how's the batt life?? Some people are really whining here. I'm coming from a 9700 and an ip4. Both no excuse phones for batt. I REALLY dont wanna be walking around with a charger in my pocket. Any input??

My batt isn't so great but I'm a heavy user and live @ the base of the foothills in Colo and my Torch is constantly searching for my network.

10-10-10 08:53 PM
    My batt isn't so great but I'm a heavy user and live @ the base of the foothills in Colo and my Torch is constantly searching for my network.

Okay but what does that mean exactly? Can u make it through the day?

10-10-10 09:06 PM
    Yeah, usually 5am to 5/6 pm. I usually rack up 3-4 hrs talk time, 20/30 emails (some w/pdf's I d/l), 30+ txt,bt on, wifi on, screen brightness on 10, etc....
    There are a lot of "dead zones" around here and I keep slipping in and out of 3g. Same as my 9700
    Hope this helps

10-10-10 09:16 PM
    No problems making it through a full day and then some.
    10-10-10 09:24 PM

Really enjoying this 9800, makes it even better that the battey life rocks. Turned it on yesterday morning at 7, and right now It's at 35% with regular moderate use. There's no way at all my iphone would make that long unless on stand-by the whole time. Good to hear you're giving it another chance! In the long run I don't think you'll be disapointed. Unfortunately every camp has their issues, that's a given with mass produced devices.
    10-10-10 09:36 PM
    To any of you who have been enjoying the 9800-- how's the batt life?? Some people are really whining here. I'm coming from a 9700 and an ip4. Both no excuse phones for batt. I REALLY dont wanna be walking around with a charger in my pocket. Any input??

On Saturday, I went from 8am to midnight (16 hours) and had 20% battery life left when I put it back on the charger. WiFi and GPS on all day, screen brightness at 40. 30 or so BBMs, 2 hours of Youtube, 4 hours on the browser, 2 calls exceeding 5 minutes, a dozen or so pictures, screwed around with the video camera for about 2 minutes of footage, and around an hour of mp3 use.

Unless someone here tells me different, I thought I did pretty good with battery life.

Last edited by BorrowedTime; 10-10-10 at 10:05 PM.
    10-10-10 10:03 PM
    Thx for all ur responses. I'm excited. The phone feels great.

10-11-10 02:18 AM
    So far it seems the build quality on the rogers torches have improved drastically over the originals on AT&T

EDIT: Wooo 100 posts
    10-11-10 03:07 AM
    So far it seems the build quality on the rogers torches have improved drastically over the originals on AT&T

EDIT: Wooo 100 posts
    yeah. that's exactly what I noticed having owned both.

10-11-10 03:14 AM
    I am about to give the Torch a second chance: I upgraded my Bold 9000 to a Torch, but swapped to an iPhone 4 because of poor battery life (50% by noon) and lack of a sturdy aftermarket Torch case. After a week with the Torch and a week with the iPhone, I have formed some definite impressions.

First, BB profiles, especially in conjunction with BerryBuzz, are far superior to iPhone ringtones; it is easy to miss a call or message on an iPhone.

Second, dedicated buttons for menu, cancel and quit simplify application navigation. In the absence of dedicated buttons, software developers must guess (or ignore) users intentions.

Third, a holster sensing reduces needless phone fiddling. (I holstered mine in an OEM leather bold pouch.)

Fourth, iTunes store is much easier to use than BB app world.

Fifth, iPhone apps generally work on all iPhones.

Sixth, there are fewer useful iPhone apps than useful BB apps.

Seventh, a high resolution screen is nice, but the lack of it isn't a deal breaker.

Eighth, Apple FaceTime may be useful for some people.
    10-11-10 04:34 AM
    I tried it out a couple of times too. Wanted to like it but was having way too many issues with the hardware (wobbly screen, creaking buttons) that caused me to have to unload it. Software issues were there too, but they were far outweighed by the problems I was having with the hardware.

Hopefully when the Torch is refreshed this will all be resolved.
    10-11-10 01:01 PM
    ^ or the 9780 may be a better substitute when it comes out in the US
    10-11-10 01:55 PM
    ^ or the 9780 may be a better substitute when it comes out in the US
    Definately gonna score one of those. I think 9780/ipod touch4 is the ultimate combo to have it all. Now if there's ome way to generate a wifi hub from the bb--then I can facetime on the ipod from the car!! Lol

10-11-10 03:48 PM
    I live in Canada. Shortly after Att launched the Torch, my business
    partner happened to be in NY so he called me and said he was gonna
    pick one up. He asked if he should grab me one as well-- I said sure!

I had been reading about all kinda stuff that was wrong with it so I
    have to admit, I was a little scared and excited all at the same time. However, being a BB fan/user
    since the beginning of time-- I had to have one.

My partner gets back into town, I unlock it the minute he gets here
    (we're in the industry-- we own a chain of mobile phone retail
    stores). And what-do-you-know?!?!-- Wobble wobble wobble-- freeze
    freeze freeze. I actually fell into a mild depression lol. How could
    this be?! THIS was the phone that would have it all. This was the phone that
    would end the iphone or BB dilema.

3 days later, I sold it for a 200$ loss. Very VERY depressing. Didn't care about the 200$, The problem was-- It was the first time I didn't fall in love with a new BB.

Fast forward a few weeks to TODAY.
    Rogers launched the Torch a week or so ago. On friday, I called a friend of ours who owns a chain of Rogers stores (we own Fido stores) and asked him to send me a couple of 9800s.
    I've been using mine since friday. It's now sunday and I've yet to put it down. It came pre loaded with .246. The OS has so far been super stable. The slider is solid as a rock. I got 2 units--They were both that way so it was no fluke. (build is Mexico 5)

I think my wife is jealous. She hasn't said anything but I KNOW she's pissed!! LOL She hates it whenever I bond with my latest gadget.

So, it's been great using it as a toy all weekend... I'm curious to see how it's gonna perform during the work week. I'm sure it'll be good.

Wish us luck :-)
    This is good news to hear. I actually had a bad run in with my first Torch, and ended up trading it for a Bold 9700 (the 9700 was new as well). So I didn't feel bad. But lately I've been itching to give it another shot I have no idea why cause my 9700 is doing just fine.

10-11-10 04:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD