Boy Genius Report

This artical says the iphone 5, which bumps up to a 4" screen from 3.5", is to be announced in June.

Given two things- (1) now customers on even Verizon can have the iphone; all the net blogs and forums laughing at short lines at retailers for iphone4 do so in vain because Verizon reports historic sales due to the IP4 (in was all online and preordering) and (2) apple doesn't work at rim's stodgy, slow, clumsy pace, we could honestly see the iphone 5 releasing when RIM finally gets the Monaco out......

.....my question is simple- should RIM even bother now? it is obviously not going to appeal to the tech saavy and the "have the latest and greatest" crowd; it will appeal to only a pre existing RIM customer base (like me). It is already behind what is out there now . My inclination is to believe if RIM does go through with it, sales will be low and it will probably only targeted at the waning consumer base that wants a touchscreen and is still sticking with blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 05:35 AM
    I would you'd be correct for RIM's reason for going through with it.

Someone on these boards made a good point that made sense about RIM...they are still the best at what they do in terms of email exchange, not at making smartphones.

And while this draws many, they may simply just be sticking to what they know as opposed to truly getting into the smartphone competitive arena.
    02-27-11 07:11 AM
    I would you'd be correct for RIM's reason for going through with it.

Someone on these boards made a good point that made sense about RIM...they are still the best at what they do in terms of email exchange, not at making smartphones.

And while this draws many, they may simply just be sticking to what they know as opposed to truly getting into the smartphone competitive arena.
    Not to start an argument, but that's one person's opinion. Most would now agree that RIM has significantly fallen behind in the e-mail department. Android 2.2 and IOS 4 both deliver push e-mail, and synching as well as BB and do not put any limitation on file size, deliver full fidelity HTML e-mail, do not compress the data, or run it through a seperate server. Very easy to encrypt your data on any of today's modern devices, very easy to install full admin control to locate, backup, lock and/or wipe any of today's devices. RIM does not have the lead or a monopoly on this tech anymore than they do on 'cut and paste'.
    02-27-11 09:10 AM
    IF it can run without hick-ups, without lagging, and deliver a smooth experience and all that jazz, I dare day it would matter less that the tech is so far behind. That won't sway a lot of people, but I think it would stem the tide until QNX simply because BBs just aren't that bad if they don't slow down and can have larger apps. That's if, of course.
    02-27-11 12:38 PM
    IF it can run without hick-ups, without lagging, and deliver a smooth experience and all that jazz, I dare day it would matter less that the tech is so far behind. That won't sway a lot of people, but I think it would stem the tide until QNX simply because BBs just aren't that bad if they don't slow down and can have larger apps. That's if, of course.
    Yea but as mentioned before, qnx won't be on berries for at least a year. You are correct, if it were a smooth and responsive phone people wouldn't care... But it is partly because they are so far behind in specs that they are so clunky and slow.

02-27-11 09:31 PM
    i would hope that they proceed. I would like a new phone at some time and don't want to change platforms. I, for one, do not care if it is behind other manufacturers phones. I like what BB is offering...even the new "third world" phones.
    02-28-11 12:36 AM
    Even though everyone likes to act like RIM is dead, as you can see from the chart below, they still shipped more smartphones than Apple, and Android sales are from how many different manufacturers?

So my guess is that some of these 47.5 million people who bought a Blackberry this year, or the 34 Million who bought one in 2009 will want these new phones that RIM is bringing to market! The Android manufacturers are all trying to one up each other bringing out phones in crazy short cycles trying to become the dominate player, and their are a host of Chiwanese Droid devices that want to undercut the bigger boys.
    sf49ers and buwee like this.
    02-28-11 06:35 AM
    Boy Genius Report

This artical says the iphone 5, which bumps up to a 4" screen from 3.5", is to be announced in June.

Given two things- (1) now customers on even Verizon can have the iphone; all the net blogs and forums laughing at short lines at retailers for iphone4 do so in vain because Verizon reports historic sales due to the IP4 (in was all online and preordering) and (2) apple doesn't work at rim's stodgy, slow, clumsy pace, we could honestly see the iphone 5 releasing when RIM finally gets the Monaco out......

.....my question is simple- should RIM even bother now? it is obviously not going to appeal to the tech saavy and the "have the latest and greatest" crowd; it will appeal to only a pre existing RIM customer base (like me). It is already behind what is out there now . My inclination is to believe if RIM does go through with it, sales will be low and it will probably only targeted at the waning consumer base that wants a touchscreen and is still sticking with blackberry.

So you're saying, because Apple, the current leader is supposedly releasing another phone this summer as they always do, that Rim should cut off their balls and stop making new products?

While its true that Rim use to be the innovator when it came to its features, its not as if their products all of a sudden stopped working.

also, not every country is like the USA. a lot of countries don't have unlimited features, namely date. And that gives RIM a huge selling point. Basically giving you 2 gigs if you are only allowed 500.

Should rim only release one type of blackberry, and saw Forget it. Everyone else can make a better;clamshell, touch, flip, or what have you. All we can do is the bold line and thats it.
    02-28-11 04:50 PM
    Yea but as mentioned before, qnx won't be on berries for at least a year. You are correct, if it were a smooth and responsive phone people wouldn't care... But it is partly because they are so far behind in specs that they are so clunky and slow.

Indeed, so if the new hardware fixes the clunky and slow experience, problem solved to a fair extent.
    02-28-11 10:24 PM
    I for one look forward to the Monaco. I just hope it releases really soon because my Storm 1 is driving me nuts. I have no interest in an iPhone (I've bought my wife iPhones, but it is not for me).

RIM is making good money making the various models they do, and many people are satisfied. They aren't at the top in the tech race, but the new forthcoming models look competitive, and should alleviate the issues I have currently, with added functionality and the ability to finally install many apps I've not been able to install due to lack of memory.
    03-01-11 09:11 AM
    if iphone 5 is LTE, then that will just be a hard slap in RIMs face and I'm sure it will hit their market share very VERY hard come launch day. And knowing RIM, iphone comes out this june, and even in 2 or 3 months, RIM will never be able to do damage control and make their Monaco LTE before launch just to stay afloat.

They need to be careful here... cause if this really happens, then this could be a huge shift for RIM smart phones going forward and a dejavu of exactly wat has happened in all of 2010

And if RIM doesnt look at this as a direct rival to the iphone, then RIM needs to look hard at public opinion and decide how it wans to tackle it going forward! People make the market run! ANd if those people say that it is an iphone alternative, then guess what.... ITS AN IPHONE ALTERNATIVE!
    03-14-11 08:50 AM
    Rim just needs to stop with the restraints and let loose. To me this is the line for RIM. If Monaco doesn't pan out and the Torch 2 doesn't work....game over. Right now I have the Bold 9650 and like now BB works, but its recently been acting up and not responding.

I recently got to mess with an iphone 4 and damn near fell in love with the way it works. I haven't drank the koolaid yet, but damn that glass looks awful tempting.

Bob
    "just my opinion"
    03-15-11 06:45 PM
    Oh good lord. It doesnt matter if the Iphone 5 is popular or not. Iphones have been out for several years and RIM is still in business lol (since the cool thing to talk about these days is how RIM is "finished" or "dying") What a bunch of nonsense. They sell more units than Apple but are going out of business. Riiiiiggggghhhtt
    03-15-11 07:34 PM
    I'm not saying that RIM is finished, i'm just tired of RIM not putting out what its people want. They still haven't released the Playbook, no new phones till atleast july/august, and they are just the "some what" catch up to what is out there now. RIM needs to do a major technology shake up and get some new life in there.
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    03-15-11 08:28 PM
    In terms of single core phones still coming out, the next lineup of blackberries is on par with the best of them. Dual core of course is dual core, but when the HTC HD, for example, has a 1ghz processor still, and is able to run very fast, just how far behind will these phones really be? No dual core? Ok so it's not future proofed beyond 1-2 years. QNX dual core phones will more than likely be out by then. Again, if the next lineup runs smoothly without issues, is there really that much of an issue with "only" having a 1.2ghz single core processor?
    03-15-11 08:44 PM
    it is obviously not going to appeal to the tech saavy
    Why would the new storm not appeal to the "tech saavy" as you put it?
    03-16-11 07:36 PM
    RIM better hurry up and get their QNX OS on their smartphones. Maybe then things will be more competitive. But that's not happening until their smartphones are packing dual core processors and RIM has stated clearly that isn't happening until battery life is under control. So whenever that happens the new crop of blackberries (including the Monaco) are running OS 6.1. I'm not too confident that OS 6.1 will do much battle against iOS and Android.

I know that large companies and firms are now or have been testing iPhone for business use. I know it was in the news a few months ago that international financial service company, Deutsche Bank had successful trials with the iPhone running a secure email app. Not sure how much longer RIM can fend off the competition by hiding behind its corporate users.

Deutsche Bank says Nein! Plans on using iPhone in lieu of Blackberry for future plans - SlashGear
    03-22-11 11:07 PM
    RIM is not going anywhere. I admit its hard holding out until qnx but at the same time I'm loyal to the "storm" series and I'm getting bored with my 9550. In a way the Monaco is kind of a pacifier and true crackberry addicts will hold out till the very end. The iphone is becoming appealing but I don't need another toy. I just want a better blackberry.

04-09-11 01:08 PM
    Not to start an argument, but that's one person's opinion. Most would now agree that RIM has significantly fallen behind in the e-mail department. Android 2.2 and IOS 4 both deliver push e-mail, and synching as well as BB and do not put any limitation on file size, deliver full fidelity HTML e-mail, do not compress the data, or run it through a seperate server. Very easy to encrypt your data on any of today's modern devices, very easy to install full admin control to locate, backup, lock and/or wipe any of today's devices. RIM does not have the lead or a monopoly on this tech anymore than they do on 'cut and paste'.
    When you apply a broad lens to it, yes, there is little to find "appealing". However, RIM has been making it clear with the upcoming PlayBook that they are positioning themselves for the enterprise/business segment. On an enterprise level, nothing...say again...nothing touches the IT management abilities granted through BES. ActiveSync doesn't have a tenth of the functionality that can be generated through literally hundreds of IT policies (not including the custom generated ones) that BES administrators have.

Business to business sales have higher profits and longer revenue streams. For every "Apple", there are multiple businesses oriented outfits that harness consumer products through their development with other businesses (Microsoft, Google, Cisco, Dell, HP, et al)...

So, yes, iOS and Android allow for push email in some platforms, granted. iOS works very well with Exchange and ActiveSync. Android is hit or miss on Exchange and ActiveSync. WebOS works very well with it, as did Symbian. Factor in true IMAP settings and you can actually get more out of these devices than BIS, and yes indeed, you have a strong argument. I'm partial to webOS myself.

RIM is anchoring their B2B segment. Consumers come and go, large business not so much.
    04-09-11 02:04 PM
    Android is selling well, but I get vertigo everytime I try out one of those devices. That OS doesn't agree with me for some reason.
    04-09-11 02:23 PM
    I know that large companies and firms are now or have been testing iPhone for business use. I know it was in the news a few months ago that international financial service company, Deutsche Bank had successful trials with the iPhone running a secure email app. Not sure how much longer RIM can fend off the competition by hiding behind its corporate users.
    When you apply a broad lens to it, yes, there is little to find "appealing". However, RIM has been making it clear with the upcoming PlayBook that they are positioning themselves for the enterprise/business segment. On an enterprise level, nothing...say again...nothing touches the IT management abilities granted through BES. ActiveSync doesn't have a tenth of the functionality that can be generated through literally hundreds of IT policies (not including the custom generated ones) that BES administrators have.
    The next version of Microsoft SCCM will allow for the provisioning and management of Windows Phone 7 devices. But honestly, that doesn't really change IT policy that much, since it really just extends the integration of Microsoft's mobile platform. There still isn't a solid way to completely manage Android and iOS from a central location.
    04-09-11 08:02 PM
    Boy Genius Report

All the Toy Boys can go to the iphone5 and not bother RIM in the least. They make serious devices for serious users. The latest Toy bunch go through devices faster than clean underwear. That's nothing to base a business plan on if you aren't a toy maker.

I for one will wait for the next full screen Blackberry device. My S2 works just fine and I'm not wasting my money on the iphone4.
    04-13-11 02:10 PM
    RIM hurrying with QNX is dumb because we saw what happened to the Xoom because it wasn't finished. It will give them time to rebuild BB OS from the ground up and make it a polished factor. That said, we don't even know what the iP5 will have but if it were the iP4 vs. Monaco then it's a toss up. If the browser is on par with the iP which I think it will be then it comes down to apps really.
    04-13-11 11:44 PM
    I still want my full emails and no more file too large errors. I think BBs should have that option of downloading large emails through BIS if you have an unlimited data plan.

04-14-11 01:32 AM
    The question that I have about touch screens on BBs is this:

RIM has stated that they believe that communication (phone, e-mail, BBM) is still the heart and soul of a smartphone. BBs, to date, do not really have the software or the apps to take advantage of the functionality and the advantages that a touchscreen provides. So, why the touchscreen? To simply keep up with the Joneses?
    1) Real estate. You ever try to get a dimension off of a technical drawing in the field on a regular BB screen? It's not fun.

2) Some things just make more sense through a touch interface. Pinch to zoom, for instance, is way better than "zoom. zoom. zoom. pan up, pan left, pan left, (oops too far) pan right"
    04-14-11 10:06 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD