Has anyone gotten Garmin Mobile to work on the Torch? I may be getting one as soon as tomorrow, but may reconsider if I can't get Garmin to work.
    11-19-10 07:18 AM
    Search function is your best friend. I typed in "garmin mobile torch 9800" and this is what came up.

Search Results | CrackBerry.com

People really need to start using the search function. Seems were getting more and more "new" threads that were answered months ago.
    11-19-10 07:22 AM
    It's not helpful to tell users to search and it makes CrackBerry.com appear to be a hostile place where members are flamed for asking questions. We don't want that. I'm sure you understand!

CrackBerry is a friendly forum where our over 2.0+ million members come seeking solutions. Many members are new and not yet familiar with the layout of features of the forum. Please treat other members with respect and courtesy.

When members post in a thread to complain, it gets bumped to the top and more folks see it and post in it to complain and so on...If the thread annoyed you that much and you just ignored it, it would fall further to the bottom of the pile and be put to rest.

It seems it's best to either skip threads that annoy OR post a link that answers the OPs question (I like this because it shows them the search feature while also answering the question) or create an auto text for commonly asked questions.

Please refer to the posting guidelines below and keep them in mind when replying.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-19-10 07:41 AM
    Umm.. I did post his information and in no way meant for it to be derogatory, but informative on ow to use the search function.

I don't understand what i did wrong other then maybe sounding a little condescending. I have always been here to help and have never posted in a negative manner.
    11-19-10 07:46 AM
    I had the free trial working perfectly but couldn't justify the $99 for these reasons...
    Torch is not nearly loud enough to hear well the spoken directions.
    Does not display miles to destination.
    Does not display time remaining to destination.
    Does not display current road.
    No way to repeat a turn.

I bought a new stand alone Garmin for $89 on the 'net that does all the above very well. I'll use my phone for other things.
    11-19-10 07:47 AM
    I don't understand what i did wrong other then maybe sounding a little condescending. I have always been here to help and have never posted in a negative manner.
    More than a little. I actually did search, and didn't find anything. I guess I'm not as smart as you. I bow to your superior searching ability.
    11-19-10 07:57 AM
    Not only does Garmin work on the Torch but its nicer because it's in Landscape view (or portrait) and has touchscreen functionality...btw so does Telenav.
    SatNav is far better on the Torch than on a 9700 or anything lacking larger touch screens.
    Try the new Blackberry Traffic released yesterday...Its free.

...and Homer, fwiw, I thought you where being helpful.
    11-19-10 08:02 AM
    More than a little. I actually did search, and didn't find anything. I guess I'm not as smart as you. I bow to your superior searching ability.
    Sorry, didn't mean it to sound the way it came across. Was just trying to be helpful.
    11-19-10 08:03 AM
    Sometimes the search comes up with thousands of links and after you read thru several of them and nothing still answers your question you are tired of looking for a needle in a haystack!
    11-19-10 09:00 AM
    Sorry, didn't mean it to sound the way it came across. Was just trying to be helpful.
    That's the trouble with print, it can be typed in one context and read in another.
    11-19-10 09:01 AM
    I had the free trial working perfectly but couldn't justify the $99 for these reasons...
    Torch is not nearly loud enough to hear well the spoken directions.
    Does not display miles to destination.
    Does not display time remaining to destination.
    Does not display current road.
    No way to repeat a turn.

I bought a new stand alone Garmin for $89 on the 'net that does all the above very well. I'll use my phone for other things.
    It does display the the arrival time at the destination, so with a clock in the car, it's not much of a drawback that the time remaining isn't shown. Not sure what you mean about the current road not being displayed -- I see the one I'm on with it.

I will agree that the volume leaves something to be desired, which does seem to be the problem of the Torch (although the voice output from the Garmin seems distorted independently of the Torch). Forget about playing any music in the car while using the app, at least not at anything above a very very low volume.

Nevertheless, it's not exactly convenient to travel with a Garmin stand-alone. And the app does work great on the Torch because of landscape mode and the touchscreen.
    11-19-10 09:22 AM
    I apologize for being a little off topic. Here is a video that shows the Torch with iGrip Cradle and running AT&T Navigator (TeleNav) at 3:07 of the video.
    11-19-10 09:33 AM
    I apologize for being a little off topic. Here is a video that shows the Torch with iGrip Cradle and running AT&T Navigator (TeleNav) at 3:07 of the video.
    TeleNav? I thought we were talking about Garmin. I will say the sound is less distorted on the Telenav, though. Anyway, I prefer to use the Pro Clips mount for the Torch -- it's closer because it sits in front of the dash (as built-in nav would) instead of on top of it, and is thus far less obtrusive.
    11-19-10 09:50 AM
    Anyway, to answer your question directly kevstl, Garmin mobile works fine on the Torch. No issues, not quite as full featured as a stand alone GPS- which is probably to be expected- but is relatively snappy, has good traffic and weather functions, decent volume- for the Torch-(EVERYTHING could be louder on the Torch)- and although I didn't save the link, you can probably still find it for $79.99. I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago for that price, but it took me a while to find it. I haven't found anything cheaper or better and I've tried 'bout everything available. And I certainly don't want to pay $10 a month for the AT&T navigator.
    Good luck to you.
    11-19-10 12:03 PM
    ^ Anyway, his question was directly answered in posts 5, 7 and 11...also with a little extra info added.
    11-19-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD