Like many others, when I read the simple word for word instructions on how to upgrade my phone to a unofficial OS upgrades, I am still very intimidated. I started seeing were I have to delete this file and that file and only install this part or that part and even though itís hard for some of you to understand, itís very scary to me.
    After reading the reviews of the 214 OS update for the 9800 I knew I had to try it. I love the phone and the form factor but the lag was killing me. I had planned to try to go through the step by step instructions but I never got to it because my laptop pretty much just talked me right threw it. Phone has worked perfect all day with no problems. Here is how it worked for me.
    1. Clicked the link on crackberry and downloaded the new OS to my desktop.
    2. Clicked the icon and I guess installed and unzipped to my laptop.
    3. Opened desktop manager 6 and it had a link to click on saying ďnew OS available .214Ē
    4. It backed up my phone, installed the new OS, and reinstalled everything for me.
    Simple as everything and like I said, no issues at all. I hope I didnít mess up doing it this way.
    09-07-10 11:44 AM
    Thanks for this "how to" write up. I haven't modified/hacked a phone since i had my 1st generation Moto Razr. The last thing i wanna do is brick this one, but i would definitely like to enjoy the benefits that everyone is ranting about with the beta OS. Can wait to get home and give it a try. One thing: what OS are you using on the Desktop?

I've got a Desktop running Windows Vista, 2 laptops running Windows 7, and an older laptop running Windows XP. Which of these is LESS likely to cause problems during the upgrade? Thanks!

JJ
    09-07-10 11:39 PM
    I am running vista. I am in no way qualified to be telling which system is better. All I can tell you is that Vista with desktop manger 6 worked like a charm. P.S. the beta is soooooooooo smooth.
    09-07-10 11:48 PM
    I have windows xp and mine installed with no problems...Just download it on your computer, install it, go to DM 6 plug your phone in and DM will tell you that there is an upgrade 214. just update it. It will back up your other OS so if you want you can go back to it. But you won't want to the 214 is great.....
    09-09-10 06:50 PM
    Here are some good instructions I just posted - the above posters' comments might work but you can run into issues depending on your situation. I swear next time I install an OS I'm going to take screenshots and make a step by step -updated- guide.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ml#post5565147

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer.

Install .214 to your computer.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting. You will probably get an EntryPoint error at the end - do not worry.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jeffreii; 09-09-10 at 07:29 PM.
    09-09-10 07:14 PM
    Just a heads up for anyone that had DM5 and uses blackberry master control program to shrink the OS and install it, be sure to change the java loader option to 5.0.0 Beta 5 or you will get a 507 error during install.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 07:15 PM
    Here are some good instructions I just posted - the above posters' comments might work but you can run into issues depending on your situation. I swear next time I install an OS I'm going to take screenshots and make a step by step -updated- guide.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ml#post5565147
    Maybe I just got lucky but the way I did it was so much more simple and i have had no problems at all. Is it possible that DM6 could be the reason for the "new" simple way to upgrade the OS Systems?
    09-09-10 10:37 PM
    I just did the 214 upgrade using the same method as the OP.

I'm on Vista 64 bit. I upgraded my desktop software to the newest version and downloaded the 214. Used DM to load and installed without a hitch. Whole process took about 15 to 20 minutes. I did about 4 battery pulls spaced about 10 minutes apart as everything settled in.

I'd like to add that my device was the stock AT&T OS version with no apps installed. I only had the CNN shortcut and the Weather Channel shortcuts installed. All 4 of my email accounts remained intact and the device automatically registered with the network.

The 9800 feels like a whole new device with the .214 installed. Way faster, improved browser response, instantly displays the 150 some odd pics I have on it, faster scrolling, trackpad response on my 9800 is VASTLY improved. Maybe it's just me but the volume seems louder too. Can't say on the call quality (too late here to call anybody) but the "tinny" call sound is supposed to be a thing of the past with the upgrade.

As usual any upgrade to an "unofficial" release is done at your own risk. However mine went great
    Last edited by cwmont; 09-10-10 at 12:03 AM.
    09-10-10 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD