11-13-10 12:57 AM
45 12
tools
    Hubby dropped his from his waist high onto a concrete parking lot, the day after we bought it on launch day. Luckily we both had our Otterboxes on them so all is good.
    10-23-10 07:21 AM
    The first thing I do before I leave a store with a device is to buy a hardcase at least for it. I dropped it once, case popped off once I picked it up. Nothing was wrong with it. Pop the case back on and its still mint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-10 08:03 AM
    Hubby dropped his from his waist high onto a concrete parking lot, the day after we bought it on launch day. Luckily we both had our Otterboxes on them so all is good.
    I'm beginning to lose count of my number of drops. I took my OB off the other day and forgot how sleek the Torch feels naked. But I know better than to tempt fate without protection, so back on the case went. Even with a 9000 clip holster, I'm constantly snagging it and watching my phone scatter on the pavement.
    10-23-10 08:29 AM
    Great tip, I've dropped mine several times with it inside the OEM leather pocket pouch(to bad it always falls top down and that part isn't protected by the case). I have a couple small "chips" in the screen bezel and the fingernail polish trick will help. THANKS!!!!
    Overall after several falls(all inside the pouch) my torch works just fine and there is no more play in the slider then there was when i got it.
    Homer let me know if you try the polish trick! I'm just curious if you as well think it will look ok. Nice to get a couple opinions. I am thinking that it will be good for my nick on the bezel. Thanks. Maybe a photo too...lol Ok tell me if I'm being too demanding.
    10-23-10 09:49 AM
    Great tip, I've dropped mine several times with it inside the OEM leather pocket pouch(to bad it always falls top down and that part isn't protected by the case). I have a couple small "chips" in the screen bezel and the fingernail polish trick will help. THANKS!!!!
    Overall after several falls(all inside the pouch) my torch works just fine and there is no more play in the slider then there was when i got it.
    I was darn near brokenhearted when I chipped mine!

Homer let me know if you try the polish trick! I'm just curious if you as well think it will look ok. Nice to get a couple opinions. I am thinking that it will be good for my nick on the bezel. Thanks. Maybe a photo too...lol Ok tell me if I'm being too demanding.
    Gotta say it looks much better than staring at a chip and being reminded of the accident each and every time you pick up your beloved Torch! If you prep the chipped spot properly (primer, bonder etc), take your time applying the polish carefully, and seal it with a top-coat or varnish (whatever you prefer) it should look darn close to new.
    10-23-10 11:50 AM
    I was darn near brokenhearted when I chipped mine!

Gotta say it looks much better than staring at a chip and being reminded of the accident each and every time you pick up your beloved Torch! If you prep the chipped spot properly (primer, bonder etc), take your time applying the polish carefully, and seal it with a top-coat or varnish (whatever you prefer) it should look darn close to new.
    I truly lol at this because that is what I do every time I wipe down (which is about 10x a day) my Torch!!!! Look and want to cry! I'm always careful and my phones always look near perfect when my 2 yr contract are up. It kills me! What do you mean primer, bonder!!!??? Sounds like intense work. Do you have a picture I really wanna see it! :-D
    10-23-10 12:00 PM
    Dropped it yesterday in a bar, bounced off the stool then fell on the floor. Thought it would be full of scratches but there's not a single scratch on it. Works just as good as before the drop.
    10-24-10 07:17 AM
    Anyone drop there Torch yet?

I wonder how well the sliding mechanism can sustain a hard drop.
    Every day since the day I got it. I honestly don't care about drops.
    10-24-10 10:33 AM
    Reading through all these posts makes me feel a bit better to order the 9800. I have the 9700 with the Otterbox Defender. Although honestly the older design holster made me drop the 9700 more than without the Defender!

I see this and I say... yikes.. that's not a hard pounding and the screen is cracked.
    10-26-10 12:32 AM
    Sorry to bring this up again but I was wondering, for those of you that dropped it, was the slider open?
    I'm nervous if I drop it with it open it'll break apart or something. Not that I go throwing my phones around, I'm just pretty clumsy. My 8310 has survived through many of falls in a basic silicone case, just hoping this torch can too (although not in a silicone case).
    11-12-10 03:05 AM
    I dropped mine yesterday about chest height and now there's a chip like paint peel off on upper Left corner. It really pissed me off. Now I'm thinking to get some case or skin to avoid much damage in the future.

11-12-10 08:29 AM
    I've learned my lesson, I dropped my iPhone numerous times, once cracking the screen. The sound/speakers never fully recovered and within 9 months of having the phone it died. My iPhone case had broke and I never got around to replacing it.

My Torch case should be here today and I've been extremely careful not to drop it. I also never walk around outside with it in my hand, it goes in my pocket or purse. Aside from being terrified to break it, I also don't want it scratched or scuffed. Call me a perfectionist, but I like things to remain shiney and new-looking.

11-12-10 09:39 AM
    Sadly I dropped mine last week down a flight of stairs and damn if it didn't hit ever single step on it's journey down. Luckily I had it in the seidio innocase and it was unhurt. Not even a mark when it hit the steps.
    11-12-10 09:43 AM
    dropped my 2 days after I got it and it still works like a horse. One would thing the slider would give way but it actually held on well and no abnormal sound or function I can differentiate from new so yes it well built for now. Let's see if it last until the next model comes out, lol.
    11-12-10 09:46 AM
    First drop yesterday. Dropped from my hand up to my ear straight onto the tile floor. The battery cover and battery flew off, and it landed face down so I couldn't see the screen. I picked it up just knowing it would be cracked, but it only sustained a small scratch on the very edge of the front. Pretty solid.
    11-12-10 11:09 AM
    the cab driver jammed brake today and my phone flew off my hand, broke the windscreen and landed on the road. without any casing. while the battery door sustained scratches, the rest still works fine. no other damages. even the slider is still as sturdy as ever - more solid than my nokia n97.
    wtf. Must have been quite the break! The phone came out better than the windscreen, that's impressive
    11-12-10 11:18 AM
    hmmm....I have thought about it plenty believe me. I'm just too chicken! The bezel around the screen looks pretty easy too! But do I dare? Think I'd try the paint first then if I mess that up I wouldn't have a choice but to try.
    I've swapped almost all of the rest of the casing to white, but the bezel around the screen is still black because I am too scared to pry the lcd out.... It, for me anyway, is the hardest part to change.
    11-12-10 03:36 PM
    I dropped mine once... Onto a rocky sidewalk! It bounced a few times, but only its appearance was damaged, but even that I barely noticed after a week or so. Using the hard case that TELUS sells damaged it even more than dropping it really...
    11-12-10 07:35 PM
    I dropped mine the other day screen first on a sidewalk. Surprisingly, there was only a little ding on the fron bezel and the screen was perfectly fine haha and everything else was normal. I love this phone!
    11-12-10 11:03 PM
    Mine had a 4 ft fall being in the holster... has a chipped top-right corner...but no problem with the slider.
    11-13-10 12:57 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD