Can anyone tell me how to install the .225 os update on my Torch. Please Help!!
    Last edited by a.rogers1; 09-15-10 at 04:10 PM.
    09-14-10 02:59 PM
    Install on your comp. Remvoe the the vendor.xml file and then use apploader to install

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 03:05 PM
    Do u have the iPhone emulation module?
    09-14-10 03:05 PM
    Install on your comp. Remvoe the the vendor.xml file and then use apploader to install

Technically all beta OS do not have anything in the vendor.xml file so there is usually no need to delete it.

The only reason to delete the vendor.xml file is if you are trying to load a non-AT&T (ex. BB Torch) OS onto your BB device.
    09-14-10 03:14 PM
    Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them.

Install .225 to your computer.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting. You will probably get an EntryPoint error at the end - do not worry.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any trouble!
    Here you go
    09-14-10 04:00 PM
    Technically all beta OS do not have anything in the vendor.xml file so there is usually no need to delete it.

The only reason to delete the vendor.xml file is if you are trying to load a non-AT&T (ex. BB Torch) OS onto your BB device.
    For new users it's an especially good idea to get in the habit of doing it just in case. I still do it as a habit but yes, you are correct.
    09-14-10 04:01 PM
    An alternative way to upload an OS(the way I had to because I was having difficulties with both my desktop and laptop's DM not doing something correctly).

I just used BBSAK to load the OS.

Just downloaded the OS to my PC, backed up all of my info, wiped my device, hit 'load OS' with BBSAK... Once' the App loader thing popped up, clicked all of my apps that were already on the device to make sure that they get put back on.... And then uploaded.

Only took about 15-20 minutes to do all it had to. I was bracing myself for 45mins to an hour.
    09-14-10 05:00 PM
    I want to upgrade so bad I can taste it. Really, really tired of the pauses/delays, and other misc. problems. Only thing is I'm unclear on what I need to do to "reactivate" BES if anything. So, once I get the OS installed and running, then what?
    09-14-10 06:31 PM
    An alternative way to upload an OS(the way I had to because I was having difficulties with both my desktop and laptop's DM not doing something correctly).

I just used BBSAK to load the OS.

Just downloaded the OS to my PC, backed up all of my info, wiped my device, hit 'load OS' with BBSAK... Once' the App loader thing popped up, clicked all of my apps that were already on the device to make sure that they get put back on.... And then uploaded.

Only took about 15-20 minutes to do all it had to. I was bracing myself for 45mins to an hour.
    All BBSAK does is launch loader.exe for you - it's a great tool for many things though.
    09-14-10 06:54 PM
    I want to upgrade so bad I can taste it. Really, really tired of the pauses/delays, and other misc. problems. Only thing is I'm unclear on what I need to do to "reactivate" BES if anything. So, once I get the OS installed and running, then what?
    As long as you don't do the manual wipe before you install - just let loader.exe wipe it and reinstall the OS for you - it will automatically transfer your BES settings.

If you had manually wiped you'd have to call whoever is in charge of your BES and get a new activation password and then it's easy.
    09-14-10 06:56 PM
    All BBSAK does is launch loader.exe for you - it's a great tool for many things though.
    I think it takes care of the vendor.xml file too.

09-14-10 06:57 PM
    So for those of you who have updated the OS, whats new? Does it get rid of the delays and short freezes? What else??
    09-14-10 10:32 PM
    So for those of you who have updated the OS, whats new? Does it get rid of the delays and short freezes? What else??
    There are a few new changes, the most noteable is having a pulldown bar at the top of the browser that has the webaddress bar and tabs button. The phone is a bit more reponsive, and to be honest you really don't have anything to lose by updating, it is worth it.

09-14-10 10:40 PM
    So this is an official update from RIM?
    09-14-10 10:56 PM
    I've had no luck with Desktop Manager (V6 & .47 upgrade) installing .161 & .214. Each took an error (Manager didn't like something) and your stuck with no where to go. So, I did the manual load (loader.exe) both times with no further problems. It seems to go faster than thru the Desktop Manger too.
    09-15-10 06:51 AM
    The only fault I have found so far with the update is when checking VoiceMail using the virtual keyboard there is only a couple of letters. The Number pad does not show. I am unsure how to fix that short of putting the old OS back in. Other than that the rest of it is fine so far. I would like to try and find a fix for the number pad issue though.
    09-15-10 08:56 AM
    Yeah, I know. But since I was having issues with DM, BBSAK was the alternative. Even though I realize I could have just clicked on the loader.exe file and done the same thing.

However, I did use it to back up my apps just in case they were not on the loader.exe already. And I also used it to wipe my device.

09-15-10 09:15 AM
    Yeah, I know. But since I was having issues with DM, BBSAK was the alternative. Even though I realize I could have just clicked on the loader.exe file and done the same thing.

However, I did use it to back up my apps just in case they were not on the loader.exe already. And I also used it to wipe my device.

Backing up apps and wiping with BBSAK before running App Loader are two entirely pointless and redundant tasks. App Loader backs up all of your apps and data and does a wipe.

Also, if you do a wipe with BBSAK before running App Loader, you'll have to manually install your data and apps after the upgrade, while App Loader does that for you -- and does it better in a number of ways, not the least of which is performing BES reactivation automatically.
    09-15-10 10:24 AM
    Looks like it worked well for me. The new update got rid of delays and freezes... Thanks.
    09-15-10 11:01 AM
    I think it takes care of the vendor.xml file too.

It does

10char
    09-15-10 11:05 AM
    I have tried downloading the file from several sites and keep getting this message when I try to install "Error reading setup initialization file". The files also never download fully. Like this last time, it's only 53MB instead of the 161.66MB that its supposed to be.

Has anyone else had this happen? I tried almost all the sites in the link. I had no problems downloading .214 last week.
    09-15-10 11:09 AM
    Thanks for everyones help. I am now running the .225 os on my torch. Much better. I love my Blackberry!
    09-15-10 03:05 PM
    I went from .214 to .225, process was smooth (just as the process was to upgrade to .214) Again, fastest OS upgrade on any device I've had. Maybe chalk that up to DM6, idk. Anyway, hard pressed to find significant improvements over .214. But the device is performing lightning fast, no lag whatsoever, fast switching of apps, and the keypad is very responsive. I still have the SMS issue where when I sometimes open an SMS it puts me in the middle of an ongoing text thread, causing me to have to scroll down some to see the latest text....thats a nuisance but I can deal with it. Media player seems solid but I still get occasional stopping during playback of music, happened once to me this morning on the commute in.

Other than that....all seems very similar to me. Havent tracked down a list of what is supposed to be fixed in .225 yet
    09-15-10 03:19 PM
    I went from .214 to .225, process was smooth (just as the process was to upgrade to .214) Again, fastest OS upgrade on any device I've had. Maybe chalk that up to DM6, idk. Anyway, hard pressed to find significant improvements over .214. But the device is performing lightning fast, no lag whatsoever, fast switching of apps, and the keypad is very responsive. I still have the SMS issue where when I sometimes open an SMS it puts me in the middle of an ongoing text thread, causing me to have to scroll down some to see the latest text....thats a nuisance but I can deal with it. Media player seems solid but I still get occasional stopping during playback of music, happened once to me this morning on the commute in.

Other than that....all seems very similar to me. Havent tracked down a list of what is supposed to be fixed in .225 yet
    In your media options do you have "Close Media Player When Inactive" set to a time and not "off"? I think that is the setting that's causing people to have their music stopped.
    09-15-10 03:28 PM
    I used loader.exe to install on mine. It worked with no problems.
    Last edited by a.rogers1; 09-15-10 at 04:11 PM.
    09-15-10 04:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD