09-29-10 07:32 PM
34 12
tools
    Some bugs and limitations have surfaced with the new Blackberry Torch which is being tested by our IS Team. Further issues were also identified when assisting someone who had recently purchased a Torch. As a result, IS does not recommend purchasing the Blackberry Torch device at this time.

The issues that have surfaced to date with the Torch concern activation, passcodes, synchronizing contacts, and compatibility with the RSA SecurID application. Activating the Blackberry Enterprise Email feature can be complex, issues have been found with the passcode that is used to unlock the Blackberry, and synchronizing contacts during the activation process is problematic. There are also issues with the RSA application as SecurID passcodes are not displayed.

IS will continue to test this new device and further guidance will be given in due course.
    08-16-10 05:40 PM
    They ballsed that in another release too. Really surprised RIM has not learned much have they. Thankfully I don't use BES but am rather scared of what else lies under the hood to be found.
    08-16-10 05:52 PM
    Not sure what all this S8*t means but I've activated my Torch Thursday morning and all is good... Emails, Contacts...etc...
    08-16-10 06:11 PM
    Some bugs and limitations have surfaced with the new Blackberry Torch which is being tested by our IS Team. Further issues were also identified when assisting someone who had recently purchased a Torch. As a result, IS does not recommend purchasing the Blackberry Torch device at this time.

The issues that have surfaced to date with the Torch concern activation, passcodes, synchronizing contacts, and compatibility with the RSA SecurID application. Activating the Blackberry Enterprise Email feature can be complex, issues have been found with the passcode that is used to unlock the Blackberry, and synchronizing contacts during the activation process is problematic. There are also issues with the RSA application as SecurID passcodes are not displayed.

IS will continue to test this new device and further guidance will be given in due course.
    What is the setup? Which BlackBerry Server do you use and which version?
    08-16-10 06:14 PM
    Activated fine on BESX 5.0.2 for me. Contacts, calendar, email, notes, tasks all fine.
    08-16-10 07:15 PM
    Activated with BES at our office and found it to be much quicker than when I had activated my Storm2. No issues at all.
    08-16-10 07:30 PM
    Glad to hear the good reviews cause this worries me
    08-16-10 07:57 PM
    Hi Guys,
    Any update on this?
    08-17-10 09:15 PM
    it's about time someone says something good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 09:19 PM
    Lol.. No kidding! My concern is that everyone who said this has been smooth seems to be using BESX and I don't think my IT guys are using Express...
    08-17-10 09:22 PM
    BESX = BlackBerry Enterprise Server eXchange
    BESX Express should be the lighter version.. or BESXX but this is kind of confusing. Anyway posting about a supposed bug without any details is just nay-saying to me. But it's nice to be warned about the RSA SecureID bug.
    08-17-10 11:01 PM
    bes 4.1.7 fully patched - fired up right out of the box and works perfect.
    08-18-10 12:09 AM
    Fire your IT guys
    08-18-10 05:10 AM
    I run the IT department in my office. Bought mine last Thursday and actvated on BES. No problems activating or issues until this moring when my Encryption key didn't update automatically at 4:07 am. So, last incoming email was at 2:05 this morning. Tried the manual regenerate a few times and it finally updated and Exchange mail is now syncing. Concur with RSA issues. Pity but no matter. Will carry a fob for now.
    08-18-10 07:41 AM
    lol.. English please??
    08-18-10 07:46 AM
    It was plain English.
    08-18-10 07:48 AM
    Thanks for the help and clarification MobileMadness002...

smfa1965; Would you mind explaining as I don't work in IT and am not exactly sure about how some of those issues would affect me, the end user.

I am at the mercy of my IT department. They have 450-500 employees to look after and if you could imagine, as soon as a device posses problems for them they will tell me to return it.

Thanks
    08-18-10 08:04 AM
    I had the same type of email from my IT department when I went to the Storm1. Had no problems at all with that or the Storm 2. I imagine that this is SOP to CYA for the BES Admins. And yes, that's English. lol
    08-18-10 08:06 AM

Sounds like your IT guys are a bunch of amateurs. I have been using mine fine over BES since launch day.
    08-18-10 08:29 AM
    Thanks for the help and clarification MobileMadness002...

smfa1965; Would you mind explaining as I don't work in IT and am not exactly sure about how some of those issues would affect me, the end user.

I am at the mercy of my IT department. They have 450-500 employees to look after and if you could imagine, as soon as a device posses problems for them they will tell me to return it.

Thanks
    LOL!! I could have sworn I was typing in English!

As I said, the only issue was this morning with our IT Policy Encryption Key. Since last Thursday it's been working fine. The only sticking point for you is if you use RSA software to remote in and your IT Dept. doesn't issue key fobs so that you can remote in that way, you're IT guys may say they won't activate it. If you don't use RSA software then I say get it and have them activate. If it doesn't work you can always return it.
    08-18-10 08:47 AM
    One other thing about the encryption key. I've seen this on older blackberry's as well so it isn't just the 9800 that on occasion doesn't connect with the server.
    08-18-10 08:49 AM
    I'm sorry to say.. I work in IT and we rolled out Blackberry Torch just fine on the BES.

Your IT guys are being overly cautious, it really depends on the security level of your firm and the size of the firm. IT may believe it is more hassle to incorporate a buggy and new Blackberry. The best thing to do is think of some mumbo jumbo that most people can't understand to prevent them from purchasing new Blackberry toys so that IT can avoid all the headaches.

oops i gave out all the secrets lol.
    08-18-10 09:29 AM
    I'm sorry to say.. I work in IT and we rolled out Blackberry Torch just fine on the BES.

Your IT guys are being overly cautious, it really depends on the security level of your firm and the size of the firm. IT may believe it is more hassle to incorporate a buggy and new Blackberry. The best thing to do is think of some mumbo jumbo that most people can't understand to prevent them from purchasing new Blackberry toys so that IT can avoid all the headaches.

oops i gave out all the secrets lol.
    +1 sounds like the OP has a shoddy IT guy/dept
    08-18-10 09:42 AM
    Activate on BES 4.1.7 with no issues re e-mails, contacts or calendar. As far as RSA, I will be using pw until this issue is resolved.
    08-18-10 09:51 AM
    My IT guys knew that I was getting the Torch as soon as possible and were actually excited about it when I brought it to them to be activated in the BES.

They initially had a problem getting it recognized and called AT&T to verify that AT&T had transferred my account to the new unit properly. Upon confirmation that everything looked good, they asked the AT&T guy to stay on the phone while they tried again, but everything worked perfectly on the second attempt.
    08-18-10 10:54 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD