Two points, RIM sales grew but their market share declined in North America due to the growth of others, most noticeably android growth as well as the growth of the market as a whole. The other point, you are only discussing North America. Once again they grew to take the overall number 4 spot in the world. I'm now going to stop talking to you about this. The facts stand on their own and you are not here to debate. You are here to troll. You are proving to be not very good at either.
    08-09-10 05:09 PM
    Nothing in that link says RIM declines but I am trying to launch it from my BlackBerry. But market share and growth are two entirely different things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 05:10 PM
    @madlaw1071: IM saying sorry in advance. But you remind me
    of the closeted GAY republicans who will do everything to condemn homosexuality
    but on the inside. They are really Gay.
    Now before you think this is an insult, all IM saying is deep inside you want
    a blackberry.
    I have been with an iPhone 3g. I can upgrade to an iphone4 but I decided to switch to a Bold 9000
    and might purchase a Torch. But you don't see me at macrumorS making iphone4 owners think less of their new purchases!
    As they say. Once you go Black you always keep coming back

08-09-10 05:14 PM
    I'm getting rather tired of some of these people that think the US and NA are the only markets in the world. Believe it or not, but there are other countries and continents out there.

08-09-10 05:35 PM
    My Nexus One has an extended battery which lasts a day and a half at least. Screen resolution is incredible compared to my 9700. I can't find an Android keyboard which suits me yet, which is not to say it doesn't exist, so typing for me is much easier on my BlackBerry.
    I do think the 9800 is a step in the right direction for RIM, however 2010 has brought on a boatload of fantastic devices so they had better keep up.
    08-09-10 05:43 PM
    Not sure how common the LEDs are, but the Droid X has one...it blinks green instead of the traditional red when I receive a message...a bit small compared to the 9550 I had but oh well.

I'd def. miss the LED light on a phone though.
    Leds are very common on Android and they can also be programmed for different colors. My work email is yellow, gmail green, sms blue, etc.

My Nexus One has an extended battery which lasts a day and a half at least. Screen resolution is incredible compared to my 9700. I can't find an Android keyboard which suits me yet, which is not to say it doesn't exist, so typing for me is much easier on my BlackBerry.
    I do think the 9800 is a step in the right direction for RIM, however 2010 has brought on a boatload of fantastic devices so they had better keep up.
    Yep there are extended batteries already available an and in the works for most Android phones. I usually get at least 10 hours a day though and that's with heavy use.

Fair review but not everyone wants a 4.3" screen.
    I'm not talking about just 4.3 inches. They could have kept it the same size but with a higher resolution.
    08-09-10 06:57 PM

a blackberry.
    I have been with an iPhone 3g. I can upgrade to an iphone4 but I decided to switch to a Bold 9000
    and might purchase a Torch. But you don't see me at macrumorS making iphone4 owners think less of their new purchases!

Love it... Thanks for the smile.
    08-09-10 07:42 PM
    I just got the vibrant with swype and typing on this thing is a pure joy! I wanted to wait for the Torch but since my 9700 will be getting OS6, i went for android instead. Will be running both, depending on my mood.

08-09-10 09:07 PM
    Battery life, physical keyboard, the notification system is nice...plus I think the 9700 is a really good looking phone. But, I'm cool with other people being ok charging a lot and wanting a different experience that is more robust for web browsing. What I don't get is the weird need to try to convince BB owners that they are basically naive or brainwashed for liking their phones. That is annoying.
    I couldn't agree more. Ever since Andriod has really take off, seems these forums have really started to go downhill, which sucks as I love this site. I don't mind good debates, but the mindless sheep who try to prove how much better a "phone" is makes this place a lot worse for the wear....shame really, but not much you can do...plus brings in traffic, rather a troll or whatever....

08-10-10 01:01 AM
    Do you ever get the impression that most Android owners are unhappy rich kids? I have this one and that one and I had the other one last month and I'm gonna buy the next one then maybe sell this one, lol. Grow up, the world is not crying for latest and the greatest but they do need reliable communications.

08-10-10 04:01 AM
    Do you ever get the impression that most Android owners are unhappy rich kids? I have this one and that one and I had the other one last month and I'm gonna buy the next one then maybe sell this one, lol. Grow up, the world is not crying for latest and the greatest but they do need reliable communications.

Interesting post. I for one am not rich. I usually upgrade my device once a year, and since my last two devices have been Android, I try to get the best one available to me. I am not rich by any means, I just know how to save money.

Also, the same can bee said about a lot of the BB posters here. Many of them think they are more important because they own a BB, and they are arrogant and cocky. Everyone also likes to think they are a CEO.

Each side has good and bad. The bad just stand out more.
    08-10-10 10:44 AM
    The Droid was my first android phone but I'll admit I've been through two smartphones previously (iphone 3g and palm pre). Had the iphone for a year and grew to hate it and Apple. Had the Pre for about 8 months till the Droid was released.

I was able to sell both the iphone and pre for decent prices so it wasn't very costly to switch. No I'm not rich but my needs are very clear cut and Android has been perfect for me so far. And I'd still have my Droid if it weren't for the X's huge screen. At one point before the switch to the pre I considered possibly switching to Blackberry but their touch phones already had a bad rep and their browsers just weren't going to cut it unfortunately.

As a field tech a big screen is indispensable when referencing tech manuals and diagrams and for online research. For emails I ponied up the bucks for Touchdown which has been very reliable so communication isn't a problem. I see many Blackberry users citing communication as their strongpoint but that's changing and with the right apps Android can be just as reliable. This is why I think they need to get more serious about the consumer side of their business.
    08-10-10 11:15 AM
    The Droid was my first android phone but I'll admit I've been through two smartphones previously (iphone 3g and palm pre). Had the iphone for a year and grew to hate it and Apple. Had the Pre for about 8 months till the Droid was released.

I was able to sell both the iphone and pre for decent prices so it wasn't very costly to switch. No I'm not rich but my needs are very clear cut and Android has been perfect for me so far. And I'd still have my Droid if it weren't for the X's huge screen. At one point before the switch to the pre I considered possibly switching to Blackberry but their touch phones already had a bad rep and their browsers just weren't going to cut it unfortunately.

As a field tech a big screen is indispensable when referencing tech manuals and diagrams and for online research. For emails I ponied up the bucks for Touchdown which has been very reliable so communication isn't a problem. I see many Blackberry users citing communication as their strongpoint but that's changing and with the right apps Android can be just as reliable. This is why I think they need to get more serious about the consumer side of their business.
    Couldn't help noticing the absence of a blackberry in your history, any particular reason to be on a blackberry forum then other then to tell us about the great Android?
    And by the way, upgrading every year is pretty often, most people upgrade every 2 years and most blackberry owners, the ones that don't go on forums, keep theirs a lot longer.

08-10-10 02:04 PM
    Do you ever get the impression that most Android owners are unhappy rich kids?
    I dunno...maybe in Northern Ireland they are.

Better them obsess about their phones vs. getting into THIS again:

Leave it to the Irish to take that, then create a delicious shooter named after it. That's like me going to a bar and saying "Hey could I have an American 9/11?".

Anyway, most Android owners around here are just like most Blackberry and iPhone owners...people who just use their phone for whatever they want to use it for and leave it at that.

Others are just big tech folks who enjoy owning and playing with new technology. If they can afford it, who cares?

EDIT: My post makes me want to have a car bomb now...ugh...
    Last edited by fecurtis; 08-10-10 at 02:22 PM.
    08-10-10 02:20 PM
    a blackberry.

Aside from the slur, you are correct. As I've stated in other threads I am a former BB owner(7130C) and I do want another one. Thus, my disappointment with a hyped up release of a subpar phone.
    08-10-10 02:21 PM
    I dunno...maybe in Northern Ireland they are.

Better them obsess about their phones vs. getting into THIS again:

Leave it to the Irish to take that, then create a delicious shooter named after it. That's like me going to a bar and saying "Hey could I have an American 9/11?".

Anyway, most Android owners around here are just like most Blackberry and iPhone owners...people who just use their phone for whatever they want to use it for and leave it at that.

Others are just big tech folks who enjoy owning and playing with new technology. If they can afford it, who cares?

EDIT: My post makes me want to have a car bomb now...ugh...
    Lol, sorry to rain on your (loyalist?) Parade but I'm actually Romanian.

08-10-10 02:32 PM
    I came from a Bold 9650 to a Droid Incredible, and although I miss the simplicity and user friendliness of the BB, I will not look back. The Droid just has it all. Messaging capabilites, nice 3.7" screen (the droid x's screen is just too damn big in my opinion), speed, multimedia capabilities, apps, etc....
    08-10-10 02:53 PM
    Couldn't help noticing the absence of a blackberry in your history, any particular reason to be on a blackberry forum then other then to tell us about the great Android?
    And by the way, upgrading every year is pretty often, most people upgrade every 2 years and most blackberry owners, the ones that don't go on forums, keep theirs a lot longer.

Didn't now owning a Blackberry was a prerequisite for posting here, sorry. Besides this forum is linked to Precentral / Android Central both of which I frequent a lot. Also, I'm the type of customer RIM needs to attract.

Anyway I'm surrounded by Blackberrys (immediate family and co-workers own them) plus I've set up BES/BIS for many clients so I'm pretty familiar with them.

As for upgrading every year, well like I said, my needs are such that it pays off to do so. Plus with the hardware cycle the way it is with Android, it's very tempting. And unlike some who mostly play with their phones or have it mainly as a toy, mine is more of a tool. And if a better one comes along that will benefit me, I will go after it.

If Blackberry had such a quick turnover and hot phones in the pipeline, you'd see more people upgrading as well, I can guarantee that.
    08-10-10 04:48 PM
    I upgrade about every year to 18 months now. I get what belfastdispatcher is saying but I think it feels that way for me more from the tone used in expressing their feelings than from the turnaround in purchases.
    08-10-10 05:07 PM
    I upgrade about every year to 18 months now. I get what belfastdispatcher is saying but I think it feels that way for me more from the tone used in expressing their feelings than from the turnaround in purchases.
    Well, they all seem to have tried a lot of devices and they seem to own more then 2 devices at any given time. Without trying to cause offence, opinions from these people don't count much for real world users.

And how it took a few years for Iphone and only now Android to get Bluetooth voice dial is beyond me, even if I would have been interested in buying one, finding that out would have stopped me buying one, actually that's exactly what stopped me buying the first iphone in the first place and ended up getting a blackberry, and boy am I glad I did.

08-11-10 03:41 AM
    Grow up, the world is not crying for latest and the greatest but they do need reliable communications.

Exactly the reason I switched from BB to android I needed reliablity . I got tired of battey pulls

I have seen plenty of blackberry users in crackberry upgrade as soon as they can (and/or) every year ,search the forums and you will too.The real question is will you admit it ??
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-16-10 at 09:37 AM.
    08-16-10 09:06 AM
    Maybe it's different in UK, I can only upgrade in the last 3 months of my contract, which is quite far away right now.

You guys do realise battery pulls are a thing of the past with the new blackberrys, especially 9700, you'd have to work it really really hard to need one.

A lot of ex android owners must have left from the older blackberrys.

08-16-10 10:50 AM
    I've been a loyal Blackberry user for 3 years. My company recently provided me with a Blackberry, so I didn't see the need to carry 2 of the same device. As a point to the people that will bash my post, I would have kept my BB if my company did not provide me one. I have a Bold 9650 and just recently got the Droid Incredible.

I have to say that RIM is dropping the ball (and I'm not a RIM basher at all) when it comes to catching up to the competition. My BB is superior when it comes to e-mail and messaging, but I have to say that Android is definitely catching up in that area and is superior when it comes to apps/processor speed and web browsing. I have a Gmail account, so I get my e-mail right away on the Incredible.

The Torch 9800 looks like it could have been an amazing phone. The screen res should have been upgraded (considering what the competition is providing). What irks me is that RIM/AT&T is in the same price point as these new Android devices. Why can't we get a high res screen and faster processor for the same price as an Incredible, IPhone or Droid X?

The RIM fanboys are upset because people come on here and bash the BB's. I don't really see it that way. I think at the end of the day, we all want RIM to step up and deliver a product that is more in line with the competition. I feel RIM is complacent and wants to keep the profit margin as high as possible without deviating from the formula that has served them well!
    08-16-10 11:16 AM
    I guess,,, its not the lastest blackberry it was 8330(actually worked the best for what it was when running leaked OS 5.0.0.230 ) to a 9630 tried a friends 9650 , none was satisfatory for me
    08-16-10 12:16 PM
    I got a Droid X and Torch on Friday. While I don't know a whole alot about the Droid operating system and available applications, I'm not sure it would provide the same business functionality I need that a Blackberry does. I'm sure I could adapt over time but one thing I would miss right away is the Blackberry menues for each application and the quick access to different options. I've always wanted an iPhone for the available applications but again I think for me the BB is best for business - for now anyway.

I wasn't real thrilled with the Torch at first but its starting to grow on me. They kept the same great features like messaging, BES, and keyboard and added some things to make me less envious of an iPhone or Droid user. Still have a long way to go in that department tho.

And they really should have provided a better screen and faster processor - it would of made a huge difference. I think it would of received much more positive reviews from the industry.
    08-16-10 12:29 PM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD