So what hi-tech, cool things can you do with your torch? I know it is just a phone, personal organizer, semi media device, web browser but are you using it in ways that others are not? If you are let us know, I like to be in the loop in discovering new cool things that can be done with the Torch other than the same ole run of the mill kind of stuff.

Hypothetically speaking...is it a phone that a hacker (the non ethical kind) would use as one of his/her tools?
    12-09-10 09:59 PM
    Android, my friend.
    12-09-10 10:17 PM
    Android, my friend.
    Ok cool...What phone do u have and what kind of things are u doing with it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 10:20 PM
    Ok cool...What phone do u have and what kind of things are u doing with it?

If you take a look at 67Tucker's posts I think you'll find he's mostly using it to troll and spread hate and discontent.
    12-09-10 11:22 PM
    If you take a look at 67Tucker's posts I think you'll find he's mostly using it to troll and spread hate and discontent.
    Actually if you take a look at my posts, you'll see that I'm quite fond of the Android OS. It's just Blackberry that sucks.
    12-10-10 06:27 AM
    Actually if you take a look at my posts, you'll see that I'm quite fond of the Android OS. It's just Blackberry that sucks.
    Your posts also tell us your life must be soooo full and rich, so good that you spend a fair amount of your time trolling an internet cellphone forum. Are your friends impressed? Does it get you the ladies? Or is the answer "Non Applicable"?

As for the OP, "Hacker" things? Good god, it's a ****** phone, poindexters.
    12-10-10 06:34 AM
    It's a phone FFS! Get over it! What do you expect to do with it other than take calls, SMS / type emails and chat?

You don't expect it to wash your dishes do you?
    12-10-10 06:40 AM
    Tucker has a point though. BlackBerry has far too much security to allow a user to "hack" it the way you could hack (jailbreak) an iPhone or fully customize an Android to your liking.

What you see is what you get. There isn't much in terms of behind-the-scenes stuff going on other than maybe hybrid operating systems, and those don't really count.

12-10-10 06:50 AM
    BlackBerry has far too much security to allow a user to "hack" it the way you could hack (jailbreak) an iPhone or fully customize an Android to your liking.
    seems like a downside until you realize when your phone's stolen your data is safe
    12-10-10 07:08 AM
    seems like a downside until you realize when your phone's stolen your data is safe
    Downside? Depends on who you ask. I personally don't care much for customization. I don't even use a custom theme or have tons of apps.

12-10-10 07:16 AM
    Downside? Depends on who you ask. I personally don't care much for customization. I don't even use a custom theme or have tons of apps.

Same here.
    12-10-10 08:11 AM
    any phone that you can do programming on it could be use as a tool for hacker. There is good api in the blackberry library and you can also use java library so possibility is endless.

Unless you mean a way to hack this phone to install free apps, which you can't call someone that hack a phone a hacker ;p (I usually call them script kiddies) unless they found the way to create the hack them-self, but usually they use an apps from someone.
    12-10-10 08:54 AM
    So what hi-tech, cool things can you do with your torch? I know it is just a phone, personal organizer, semi media device, web browser but are you using it in ways that others are not? If you are let us know, I like to be in the loop in discovering new cool things that can be done with the Torch other than the same ole run of the mill kind of stuff.

Hypothetically speaking...is it a phone that a hacker (the non ethical kind) would use as one of his/her tools?
    As said if you want a phone a hacker would use, get an Android device. It is much more open than BBOS. Yes, you even get to type in command lines.

If you have any more questions send a PM. Don't want this to turn into a flame fest.
    12-10-10 09:02 AM
    Same here.
    I was more on about things like Metronomes, Tuners, Instruments that the iPhone has. I'm a professional musician and these things make me insanely jealous of the iPhone, especially the iRealBook!!!
    until I realize I've gained a lot more students by being the first one to be able to reply to their email enquiries. They never expect a reply within 10 minutes of sending an email, and it has made sure that I get the students nigh-on every time.
    12-10-10 09:07 AM
    any phone that you can do programming on it could be use as a tool for hacker. There is good api in the blackberry library and you can also use java library so possibility is endless.

Unless you mean a way to hack this phone to install free apps, which you can't call someone that hack a phone a hacker ;p (I usually call them script kiddies) unless they found the way to create the hack them-self, but usually they use an apps from someone.
    thanks for the feedback!
    12-10-10 09:29 AM
    I know with some of the android devices out there people have used them to hack ps3's and xbox's to enable playing backup games and movies from the hard drive amongst other thongs. There are an abundance of useless cool apparently for android too. Depending on what you want to do with making the device serve more purposes than a phone android is the way to go. Blackberry does one thing well and that is secure communications. The os wont let you force it to do much more than that as a lot of the software api's are digitally signed by RIM so you can't fake those to make your programs work. Another reason you may like android is on the higher end phones the multimedia capabilities are great. I love the screen. On my captivate. And watching mobile videos kills the competition. I do miss the battery life of blackberry. I get maybe 14 hours per charge with almost no usage so it is a big downside.

12-10-10 10:43 AM
    I didn't see it mentioned earlier but if your decent at coding you can pretty much build your own custom os for android phones based around a stock rom.

12-10-10 10:47 AM
    I didn't see it mentioned earlier but if your decent at coding you can pretty much build your own custom os for android phones based around a stock rom.

now that is cool and hi tech. i was just interested in knowing what can be done with a blackberry on the hi-tech end.
    12-10-10 02:34 PM
    Not much as far as making it behaive in any way other than it was designed. It is a very reliable device part in thanks to the added security features. As far as if my android was stolen, I downloaded an app that remotely wipes the device and can track it too. Security really isn't a concearn for me as with a password on my phone not many average people who find it will be able to.skip past it.

There are a few apps that let the blackberry do some.cool.things and even a dongle you could buy to use it as a remote control for.your dvd player but there is the same thing for other phone platforms. If your really only concerned with hacking and coding nothing will compare to the android os.

12-10-10 03:09 PM
    Not much as far as making it behaive in any way other than it was designed. It is a very reliable device part in thanks to the added security features. As far as if my android was stolen, I downloaded an app that remotely wipes the device and can track it too. Security really isn't a concearn for me as with a password on my phone not many average people who find it will be able to.skip past it.

There are a few apps that let the blackberry do some.cool.things and even a dongle you could buy to use it as a remote control for.your dvd player but there is the same thing for other phone platforms. If your really only concerned with hacking and coding nothing will compare to the android os.

Thanks for the info.
    I like the idea of using my torch as a remote control. Do you know of any apps that I could use. There is a recent VLC app that I can use on my torch to control the VLC media player on my pc. Remote control apps is something I will be interested in, I will search for some.

I come from a pc building background and I was wondering if there is a way I could overclock my phone's processor. I am very aware of the dangers of doing this. I guess not considering the security of the phone.

Also, I saw an youtube vidoe awhile back where some guy used a pocket pc in an train terminal to lock-in of people's phone that had bluetooth turned on. Hmm i wonder if there is an app for that. I would like to see who is honing in on my signal when I am in public places...
    12-15-10 03:38 PM
    these 2 articles cemented my choice to stay with blackberry, i was tempted to go to android, but after reading this, i will not be going anytime soon.

and for you that dont know, mylookout is free, it will locate a lost berry by gps, set off a siren, even on a device that has all sounds turned off, and you can remotly wipe all data. i also use paternlock, which locks my torch, even before boot up is compleat after batt pull, and the pattern you make can use the same dots over and over, you can retrace the same stpes to make it very complex. the paternlock on android cant use any dot more than one, so unless you keep the screen clean, you can see the path that is drawn to unlock.

so read these 2 links, see what you think

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/mapping...data-10020604/

OS6 Certified as FIPS compliant
    12-15-10 07:07 PM
    I was more on about things like Metronomes, Tuners, Instruments that the iPhone has. I'm a professional musician and these things make me insanely jealous of the iPhone, especially the iRealBook!!!
    until I realize I've gained a lot more students by being the first one to be able to reply to their email enquiries. They never expect a reply within 10 minutes of sending an email, and it has made sure that I get the students nigh-on every time.
    I have a police CB scanner (5-0 radio) , a leveling tool (iLevel), a star gazing program, a bar code scanner and price compare, google earth, free gps program, a 360 view- panorama picture maker, a wi-fi hot spot finder, mobile-Photoshop, google voice, Ocarina (makes an iphone4 to be a flute) a tv-remote control, a unit/currency converter, an airplane/trip tracker, and many other apps.

Not on the Torch, but the other one listed in my avatar.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 12-15-10 at 07:16 PM.
    12-15-10 07:14 PM
    these 2 articles cemented my choice to stay with blackberry, i was tempted to go to android, but after reading this, i will not be going anytime soon.

and for you that dont know, mylookout is free, it will locate a lost berry by gps, set off a siren, even on a device that has all sounds turned off, and you can remotly wipe all data. i also use paternlock, which locks my torch, even before boot up is compleat after batt pull, and the pattern you make can use the same dots over and over, you can retrace the same stpes to make it very complex. the paternlock on android cant use any dot more than one, so unless you keep the screen clean, you can see the path that is drawn to unlock.

so read these 2 links, see what you think

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/mapping...data-10020604/

OS6 Certified as FIPS compliant
    Good article.

12-15-10 10:25 PM
    Hey weezul I guess I never even thought of this, but from a business side of things (or any side) that's great. Are you saying BB receives/sends emails faster than competitors, or just your personal experience? I'm new, but I like that "idea" a lot. Could you or someone explain?
    Thanks, B
    12-16-10 05:37 AM
    I doubt a proffessional musician would use a cruddy cellphone mic for tuning.

12-16-10 06:22 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD