I shall be staying, for a few weeks, in W Africa, where it will be the dry season and there might be a fair bit of dust & sand blown around.

Has anyone any experience how how the slider mechanism copes with sand/dust/grit etc?
    12-04-10 03:33 AM
    I had a older refurbed one sent to me today. The first thing I noticed was the slider didn't slide nearly as nice as my current one. It basically feels like grit or something is between the phone and slider. I would have to say if something wedges between there, you will know about it.
    12-04-10 03:35 AM
    I would expect sand and grit to disrupt the slider. At the very least, it would get underneath the screen. I'd recommend a case like the AGF GRT (it has its own slider that covers the native one) if you're worried about it. I would be too.
    12-04-10 04:40 AM
    Yeah, this is definitely not a phone I'd want to take with me to the desert or beach. Put it in a case and leave it there til you absolutely need to use it or try to only use it when in doors.
    12-04-10 05:25 AM
    i dont think sand will damage it..as long as you dont purposely use sand to scratch it
    12-04-10 05:30 AM
    Personally I don't think any case will protect it from sand being blown around. Microscopic particles of sand will get in anything if allowed to.
    12-04-10 06:55 AM
    Maybe when the warranty is over, you can do a once a year maintenance by opening up your Torch for a clean up.

Link on how to do it: [hot!] Blackberry Torch 9800 Disassembly – Complete Take Apart | Mobile Phones Reviews

- Charles
    12-04-10 08:41 AM
    Will sand hurt the slider mechanism? Is the Pope Catholic? The answer is the same for both. Do so at your device's peril.
    12-04-10 09:06 AM
    Yeah, as I suspected, cheers for the opinions.

I don't know how much sand/dust will be blowing around, so I think I'll take an old phone instead of my Torch.
    12-04-10 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD