I Can't wait to get the new Playbook - but I'm wondering. Will I still want to upgrade from my S2 to the S3? I don't want to watch movies or play heavy duty video games on a small phone screen. There might be too much overlap with these new tablets fitting in your pocket. What do yall think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 01:31 PM
    Depends. Even if I get a Playbook, I won't carry it with everywhere that I would be carrying my phone. The extra screen real estate on the Monaco would be nicer for browsing than any of the other new phone rumors. In fact I may now hold off on a Playbook and wait for Monaco to come out to see if it can do what I need.
    01-15-11 02:36 PM
    I Can't wait to get the new Playbook - but I'm wondering. Will I still want to upgrade from my S2 to the S3? I don't want to watch movies or play heavy duty video games on a small phone screen. There might be too much overlap with these new tablets fitting in your pocket. What do yall think?

That's my issue with all of the tablets. I have a Droid X and it seems like all the Android tablets do the same thing but just on a bigger screen. I think that the PlayBook is going to be awesome but you will definitely are some overlap.

01-15-11 03:40 PM
    I don't think a playbook or similar would overly influence my choice of my next phone, but then again I am probably going to go for a dakota anyway since I prefer the bold form factor.
    01-15-11 04:45 PM
    no not if you want a smaller pocketable device that is a smartphone i.e makes calls since the current playbooks won't have phone functionality.
    01-16-11 07:40 PM
    Definitely not imo. 2 different markets. Playbook and S3 would go well together, but the pb is a tablet that pretty much needs to be tethered with a phone and not everyone wants a tablet... But everyone needs a phone.

01-16-11 08:00 PM
    Storm 3 also will not be running qnx so the playbooks os will be completely different.

01-16-11 08:20 PM
    Does the PB make the S3 irrelevant?

You mean the other way around right? Everyone has a phone, not a tablet.
    01-16-11 10:29 PM
    Does the iPad make the iPhone irrelevant?

I don't think so becuase the the iPad/PlayBook aren't something you can carry in your pocket.

Everyone I know with an iPad has an iPhone. The devices are similiar but don't replace each other.
    01-17-11 08:55 AM
    I don't believe so because you cannot make a call on the playbook (maybe tethered to a blackberry you can).

I think I see what you are getting at though; are you asking that a playbook will be enough for blackberry owners that yearn for a full touchscreen? I honestly think part of rim's strategy with pb focus instead of smartphone focus is to cater to everybody. its a good strategy but I fear rim's delay on getting it out will cost them, for as many predicted, the competition is releasing competitive tablets in comparison now. I believe the tablet will sell well to die hard bb fans but its not going to win anybody over from the competition... Though it appears they may have given that up anyway.

01-17-11 09:16 AM
    Why would it be irrelevant? One is a phone and one is not...
    01-17-11 06:45 PM

Nah, android and iOS made the S3 irrelevant a long time ago.

01-17-11 07:06 PM
    It may not make it irrelevant, but as an S2 user I might go with the Dakota/Bold when the Playbook comes out. It would seem like the best of both worlds.
    01-17-11 07:44 PM
    I have been thinking about going the bold route as well but I will probably wait until the next full touch screen device comes out before making the final decision. I will probably get the Playbook regardless but I have been using my original Tablet PC lately but the battery life is killing me. The cost to replace my current Tablet PC will be more than $1000 but a lot of answers have to be figured out to see if I want to go that route. The playbook seems like a perfect fit to me for doing easy stuff and watch movies. My tablet PC has been great as of late because I have an evlaution version of my new accounting software so I can learn it before depolying it. Probably can't do that on the playbook
    01-30-11 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD