Way too many reposts on this forum

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 06:39 AM

OMG!!!! There's a search function?

"Insert sarcasm tags."

I've been noticing that a lot also. People think it's better to have their thread at the top where everyone will see it, I guess.
    11-10-10 06:41 AM
    There are just so many people who come here for help without knowing or caring to find out about the rules and procedures. It's impossible to stop.

You'll see that most people who do it have very low post counts.

There's no way to show them, beforehand, that with a little more effort they can get their questions answered instantly by finding a thread that already has done so.

It's the nature of the beast. They'll learn but someone new will come along and ask about the SMS bug for the 20th time without searching for SMS or Text etc.
    11-10-10 06:48 AM
    Much easier is to use Google with a site tag. For instance, say you were looking to solve a problem related to a rapidly dying battery. Do this:

site:crackberry.com battery dies fast - Google Search

Much easier and more focused IMO.

Posted from my phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 06:53 AM
    OMG!!!! There's a search function?

"Insert sarcasm tags."

I've been noticing that a lot also. People think it's better to have their thread at the top where everyone will see it, I guess.
    forums fail on occasion regarding 'searching'...

nothing new there... lol im sure there is already a thread regarding this rant too. shoulda searched
    11-10-10 06:54 AM
    Hey ag, only 38 posts since crossing 15k. Why the slow pace, fingers tired? Grats on the milestone!

Searching is right up there with missing the stickies! Never gonna get rid if it. it happens in every forum i have visited. Now those that cater to more specific crowds like for experienced overclockers and benchmarkers - this in some cases is pointed out quickly and stopped to keep from clogging the boards. If you get an invite for one of those sites - read, read and read some more, do a search - then make a post.
    11-10-10 06:59 AM
    forums fail on occasion regarding 'searching'...

nothing new there... lol im sure there is already a thread regarding this rant too. shoulda searched
    Haha, I know I should have searched before posting about searching lol

11-10-10 07:06 AM
    People come here looking for answers.

They get their answer and stay or they move on to everyday life.

It's in our best interest to provide the best possible info and answer to users.
    11-10-10 07:29 AM
    Much easier is to use Google with a site tag. For instance, say you were looking to solve a problem related to a rapidly dying battery. Do this:

site:crackberry.com battery dies fast - Google Search

Much easier and more focused IMO.

+1 for the Google search method
    11-10-10 07:32 AM
    I agree that there are way too many people with one or two posts asking things that could easiy be answered by using the search feature, google or any number of additional resoures on the web. But then I think...it was not long ago that I asked my first question after not finding the answer I needed by searching. Fortunately, there were many people here that offered to help. I've been addicted to CB since. On the flip side, I've also noticed that many times a newbie will ask a question and get very rude responses that fail to even address the question. IMO, that serves no purpose, either answer the question or not. There are so many members on here that have taught me so much and for that I thank them.

11-10-10 07:41 AM
    Hey ag, only 38 posts since crossing 15k. Why the slow pace, fingers tired? Grats on the milestone.
    /OT
    Thanks my friend. Work has been a bear. Been out on a ton of branch visits spreading the Internal Audit love
    OT/

11-10-10 08:35 AM
    People come here looking for answers.

They get their answer and stay or they move on to everyday life.

It's in our best interest to provide the best possible info and answer to users.
    You could also argue it's in their best interest to combine redundant threads, but that doesn't happen. It's obviously a hefty task.

However, when someone searches for an issue and they find 20 different threads about the same thing, it can get more difficult to find the actual answer buried in there. Every time someone posts another thread like that, it gets worse.

The only cure would be to delete the thread or combine it with the original thread. A workaround is to make sure that someone posts a link to the original thread in all the redundant threads so that no matter where you go, you eventually are lead to the answer.
    11-10-10 09:23 AM
    What I don't understand..is when you are starting a "new" thread..doesnt it list a bunch of similiar threads based on your thread topic? I don't normally start new threads..but the few I have i'm pretty sure I noticed that.
    11-10-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD