View Poll Results: Does your Torch screen wobble?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not one little bit -- there is no play at all and it's solid as a rock.

63 30.00%
  • It wobbles a little bit, but it doesn't bother me.

66 31.43%
  • It wobble a little bit, and it DOES bother me.

62 29.52%
  • It wobbles a LOT.

19 9.05%
11-08-10 07:31 AM
71 123
tools
    It is a moving part. It should have play. End of story. Look at any other slider from any carrier or vendor - they all have play by design. Dual sliders have even more.

As an end user you will never see the tolerance spec so all you can do is simple comparison. Those outside the "norm" obviously have issues but just asking about "wobble" that is supposed to be there by design will and is misleading to he masses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    With other sliders, yes -- you just google "slider phone wobble" (w/o quotes) and you'll find discussions of wobbly Droids, Nokias, etc., and potential solutions (the Nokia one actually has directions to take it apart). But as I mentioned, a lot of the Torches have no play whatsoever, and indeed this the solid kind of build we expect from RIM. So it's not misleading. Look at the freakin' poll choices: 40 odd % say solid as a rock. The out of the norm, as you put it, are the ones who wobble "a lot."
    08-27-10 07:33 PM
    " Look at the freakin' poll choices: 40 odd % say solid as a rock. The out of the norm, as you put it, are the ones who wobble "a lot."

I'm wondering if most (or all) of those responders responded within a day or two of buying the phone...
    08-27-10 08:35 PM
    I responded "no wobble" but now (had the phone since the release date) there is a wobble! I will live with it unless it gets much worse.
    08-27-10 08:37 PM
    mine was tight at first, now has slight wobble. It doesn't bother me too much. I hope it doesn't bother me long term. Still a great phone
    08-28-10 03:03 PM
    Today my protective cover arrived (from wirefly)my 9800 had a bit of wobble put when I installed the cover I have no wobble, now it is rock solid, I recomend this cover for anyone with the wobble issue

08-28-10 04:08 PM
    And what case would that be????
    08-28-10 05:14 PM
    And what case would that be????
    Mobi hardshell case (there's a link on shop crackberry)

08-28-10 09:16 PM
    mine wobbles a tad when closed but not really when opened.
    09-12-10 10:41 AM
    Had my Torch exactly 2 weeks today and noticed the wobble with the slider open. Decided to take it in to ATT. So when I walk in i speak to a rep and she takes me to the Torch demo and it had very little play but she explains this is normal. Noticing the demo was tighter than mine I ask to see a new Torch in the box, Solid as a rock, so she tells me thats because its new and normal wear and tear will loosen it. I said I will take my chances with the new one with no wobble and exchanged it, will post after a few weeks to see how loose it gets from wear and tear.
    hey how goes the new phone? any wobble? mine's got a wobble after 1 week.
    ive made 2 exchanges prev for out of the box wobbles. this latest one was rock solid for a week and terrible after.
    ive tried "foaming" it.. slipping 2 foams into the back of the screen n it cant come out!! still a wobble tho lol.
    now ive tried a small business-card n it works tohold it.. some wobble but liveable.

hows urs?
    11-01-10 10:31 AM
    I thought the poll was measuring wobble with the slider closed. I have a little bit then, but absolutely none when open. I wanna change my vote
    11-01-10 11:16 AM
    I've had this phone for well over a month now. I experience a little wobble, but not enough to where I complain about it. It's expected with slider phones. Just don't abuse it by sliding it up so hard because you'll worsen the condition.
    11-01-10 12:31 PM
    Mine is alright. Slight play when the slider is extended but that is expected when it comes with slider phones. I am afraid that the slider will eventually wear out.

11-01-10 12:44 PM
    my slider is pretty wobbly. Then the slider is closed and I use the touch screen you can feel the screen go down and makes a little click noise almost feels like the storm.

Also when the screen is up, not only does the screen wobble up and down but it wobbles side to side. This was a little too much for me so I called it in and asked for a replacement. Took a little bit because the representative had to talk to RIM about getting a replacement but all went well. Should be seeing my replacement in 5 days.

Thank you ATT.
    11-01-10 10:45 PM
    Slight wobble here too... makes a small clicking sound when the screen is down.
    Been using it since nearly 2 months now and its been the case since I bought it. Thankfully, it hasn't increased a bit!
    11-02-10 03:45 AM
    Mine wobbled a little bit, and it DID bother me! I returned it to Voda Care yesterday to claim OBF (Out of Box Failure) as I only got it last week.
    The batter door was also loose and the charger port played in its place as well.
    too much for a new BB!!!!!
    11-02-10 03:59 AM
    My torch my solid as a Rock when I bought it but I made one mistake. I got and Otterbox Commuter Case. Because of the way the front piece clips on it actually pulled the screen portion up slightly. I notice the phone was creaky and had some extra movement when hiting the end and call buttons so I took the case off and no more creaks but I had wobble.

The phone still works great and I am assuming over time with use this would have happened any way but it was frustrating to have the effect enhanced by have the Otterbox one for a couple days.

PS Otterbox Commuter Case for sale on London Kijiji $20
    11-05-10 03:56 PM
    I was having major power issues with my Torch and had it replaced. On my previous one I had some wobble. The replacement is solid...I guess I killed two birds with one stone.... Its Mexico 4
    11-05-10 04:23 PM
    I have a corporate phone so I don't have the opportunity to personally select a phone, they just ship them to us.
    Mine had a little wobble, when open, which became a rattle after just a couple weeks.
    I returned it to Bell on Monday and they replaced it (DOA) no questions asked. I had a coworker with me who has one that doesn't wobble, just in case they tried to tell me 'thats how they are made'.
    After thoroughly going over the replacement Torch, I am very satisfied with the new device. No wiggles, wobbles or rattles. Very nice phone.
    11-05-10 07:10 PM
    I just got mine (today!) and I don't feel any wobble.

I don't have a case for it yet either, although everywhere I looked for one today tried to sell me the Otterbox - glad I didn't go for it since the reviews on here aren't that great from what I can see!
    11-05-10 08:19 PM
    For those of you that do not have a device that wobbles, would you be kind enough to read my description of it here and let me know if yours behaves this way. Thanks.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wo...-track-546184/
    11-06-10 12:32 AM
    slight wiggle when I use it with the slider closed but it's nothing I'm losing sleep over. No problems with the slider open.
    11-08-10 07:31 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD