View Poll Results: Does your Torch screen wobble?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not one little bit -- there is no play at all and it's solid as a rock.

63 30.00%
  • It wobbles a little bit, but it doesn't bother me.

66 31.43%
  • It wobble a little bit, and it DOES bother me.

62 29.52%
  • It wobbles a LOT.

19 9.05%
11-08-10 07:31 AM
71 123
tools
    I'll just copy and past what I posted on another forum...

Well, after stopping in at another ATT store, I checked out their 2 demo units. And they had theirs set up to be able to close. Neither of their units had any wobble, and I mean zero. I talked to the associate and he took mine and compared it to theirs. He admitted it shouldnt be like that, and I should go back to the location i got it from, nicely ask them to exchange the device, and explain that I would like to test the units before I leave the store. I explained to him that this one isn't as bad as my last, and he said "either way, it's a brand new device, and it shouldn't do it at all. Take it back and just explain to them nicely that you went into other stores and their devices aren't like this at all."

So just to be sure, I said, "Even if this is my second one?" His reply, "if you go in nicely, they should not let you leave without one as solid as these."

So unfortunately, # 2 is going back.
    You shouldn't have to go back to the same store you bought it in if you were already in an AT&T store. I exchanged mine at a different store than the one I originally bought it in. It's like Walmart or Target insisting you return something at the same store you bought it in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 09:18 PM
    You shouldn't have to go back to the same store you bought it in if you were already in an AT&T store. I exchanged mine at a different store than the one I originally bought it in. It's like Walmart or Target insisting you return something at the same store you bought it in.

yeah, I am actually thinking about just going into the other store because they had less volume, and their devices and service actually made me want to go back, LOL. I just didnt have my box and reciept (sp?) with me.

The associate did say that if I wanted to, I could go back to his store. They're both helpful stores, and they're literally across the street from each other. One is in a mall, the other is another corporate store just outside a the mall.
    08-18-10 09:36 PM
    I found that trying to use the Torch with one hand even when using the button adjacent to the trackpad, there is no wiggle. One of the reasons that the Torch is a portrait slider instead of landscape is to use one hand. A very slight amount of play is normal otherwise the slide mechanism would wear out sooner. Also the buttons don't need a death grip to enable their behaviors.

08-18-10 09:49 PM
    Mine has an ever so slight wiggle when the slider is open and I hit the t/p or other buttons. I'm a little OCD but can live w/this, given the other attributes of the device. The longer I use it, the more things "settle in"

08-18-10 10:04 PM
    I found that trying to use the Torch with one hand even when using the button adjacent to the trackpad, there is no wiggle. One of the reasons that the Torch is a portrait slider instead of landscape is to use one hand.
    i was thinking the same thing..
    the design was for a one hand operation.
    08-18-10 10:19 PM
    One handed use with the slider open is when the wobble is most noticeable to me. You can actually hear it if you hold it tight in the usual one-handed BB grip and shake it up and down slightly.
    08-19-10 12:24 PM
    I *think* I felt a slight wiggle last night, but I can't be sure. I would not even have noticed it if I hadn't read about them here. So I don't know how to answer...
    08-19-10 12:27 PM
    Mine is very slight, not bothersome. With the Otterbox Defender case it is not noticeable at all.
    OtterBox does not make a Defender for this phone yet.

Last edited by lucky45; 08-19-10 at 01:08 PM.
    08-19-10 01:04 PM
    I'm pleased to announce that I no longer wobble. I did a third exchange -- my fourth Torch -- and the slider screen is solid as a rock with no play at all. Call row keys and trackpad are all solid to the touch as well.

Hallelujah and praise Jeebus.
    08-20-10 09:34 AM
    I'm pleased to announce that I no longer wobble. I did a third exchange -- my fourth Torch -- and the slider screen is solid as a rock with no play at all. Call row keys and trackpad are all solid to the touch as well.

Hallelujah and praise Jeebus.
    Where was it made and what was the date it was made?
    08-20-10 10:32 AM
    Where was it made and what was the date it was made?
    MEXICO 4

The one I returned was made in Canada, 030710.

Jajaja, confio mucho en los mexicanos, trabajan muy duro y hacen cosas de calidad, parece a diferencia de los canadienses.
    08-20-10 10:46 AM
    Mine wobbles. I went to two different ATT stores and they both told me i cant exchange because the wobble is "normal". Didn't help that hte display model wobbles even worse than mine. How did you guys get exchanges?
    08-20-10 11:04 AM
    After almost a week with the exchanged Torch that had absolutely no wobble at all, suddenly today I noticed a very slight wobble. Sometimes it goes away, but it's there more frequently than not. I'm not sure that bodes well for these things holding up over time.

conqoror -- I had no problem just saying I wanted to return it because of the wobble. I would find yet another store, or raise a fuss at one of the ones you went to. BBs are supposed to be solid devices, so it's NOT normal -- that solidity has been a hallmark of BBs since the beginning.
    08-26-10 06:50 PM
    Are we talking Weebles or the Torch? Mine is ever so slight and I probably would not have noticed if the topic had not been beaten to death.
    08-26-10 06:56 PM
    Are we talking Weebles or the Torch? Mine is ever so slight and I probably would not have noticed if the topic had not been beaten to death.
    Me too! I'm on my 3rd torch. Don't know about the previous 2 cause I gave them back right away. The 3rd one was pretty solid until after a week's worth of usage. The top portion sliiiiiightly wobbles when slider is open, but nothing to aggravate me etc.

I'm just hoping that within 6 months the slider won't come off lol

08-26-10 07:10 PM
    Don't know how to answer. First phone you could hear rattle the slider was so loose, second phone was like a rock but the track pad just quit working and button wouldn't light up, third phone is half as bad as the first but now the buttons peeled up.

I think God is telling me I don't deserve this phone.
    Or maybe He's telling you that you do! LOL. Get a Storm2(3)
    08-26-10 07:18 PM
    Been woble free since I got it...hope it stays that way.
    08-26-10 07:21 PM
    Me too! I'm on my 3rd torch. Don't know about the previous 2 cause I gave them back right away. The 3rd one was pretty solid until after a week's worth of usage. The top portion sliiiiiightly wobbles when slider is open, but nothing to aggravate me etc.

I'm just hoping that within 6 months the slider won't come off lol

That's precisely my problem. I can live with the little wobble that has developed over the past week -- mi wobbelito -- but I can only hope it stops there.
    t
    08-27-10 05:49 AM
    First torch was solid and had a great feel. Returned for the voice / echo issue. Second torch has a clack / movement when i hit the buttons. Annoying as ****. Gonna return for another one, really like the torch.
    08-27-10 07:18 AM
    This thread is very misleading. Before purchasing my Torch, I tested every slider in the store fir "wobble" and found the Torch to be no different than any other model. There were about 7 or 8 other slider phones on display. The live pones in Corporate stores take a real beating. Other than manufacturing defects, they will exhibit "wear and tear" before any other device. None.
    08-27-10 08:17 AM
    This thread is very misleading. Before purchasing my Torch, I tested every slider in the store fir "wobble" and found the Torch to be no different than any other model. There were about 7 or 8 other slider phones on display. The live pones in Corporate stores take a real beating. Other than manufacturing defects, they will exhibit "wear and tear" before any other device. None.
    How is the thread misleading, and what does the wobble of other manufacturer's slider phones (in a store display, no less) have to do with the price of eggs?

Quite a fair number of Torches undeniably exhibit wobble, some even to an extreme degree. But a greater number apparently have absolutely no wobble at all. And a few of those rock solid ones have been developing wobble over a week or two.

If your Torch is wobbling and you don't mind it just because other slider phones wobble, well . . . just what ARE you saying, anyway?
    08-27-10 09:16 AM
    It is a moving part. It should have play. End of story. Look at any other slider from any carrier or vendor - they all have play by design. Dual sliders have even more.

As an end user you will never see the tolerance spec so all you can do is simple comparison. Those outside the "norm" obviously have issues but just asking about "wobble" that is supposed to be there by design will and is misleading to he masses.

Last edited by shansmi; 08-27-10 at 09:29 AM.
    08-27-10 09:26 AM
    My wife's old LG Shine was ROCK SOLID, and still is, after 10,000s of slides.... So is my old HTC8525.... Many 'sliders' are rock solid... The 9800 just isn't a great piece of engineering.

I think future 9800's will have tighter sliders...
    OR, if you want to void the warranty, I'll bet you can adjust it if you open it...
    08-27-10 09:39 AM
    I am getting a second one here in a few days. We'll see what it is like out of the box.
    08-27-10 09:44 AM
    Had my Torch exactly 2 weeks today and noticed the wobble with the slider open. Decided to take it in to ATT. So when I walk in i speak to a rep and she takes me to the Torch demo and it had very little play but she explains this is normal. Noticing the demo was tighter than mine I ask to see a new Torch in the box, Solid as a rock, so she tells me thats because its new and normal wear and tear will loosen it. I said I will take my chances with the new one with no wobble and exchanged it, will post after a few weeks to see how loose it gets from wear and tear.
    08-27-10 06:47 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD