View Poll Results: How do you prefer upgrading or downgrading your BB?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer performing a complete device wipe, then installing the OS

11 23.91%
  • I prefer just installing the new (or old OS) over the old one

35 76.09%
    I personally have had better experiences wiping the device first using BBSAK then loading the OS.......I feel its the cleaner / better way to do it.....

I don't want to just upgrade the components.....I want a fresh / clean install. It does wonders sometimes......

How do you guys prefer doing it?
    11-05-10 03:53 AM
    i prefer to just install it over the old OS..i do BBSAK wipe after 2 upgrades though...a bit lazy to re-install the apps
    11-05-10 04:03 AM
    Complete wipe with BBMCP every time, BBSAK and I don't get along.
    11-05-10 04:16 AM
    Just a newbie question if you don't mind about wiping/installing.

If I use BBSAK do I just install the OS on my PC like normal.
    Then instead of just running loader.exe I open up BBSAK then choose 'Wipe Device' and then run 'Load OS'?
    11-05-10 05:16 AM
    Just a newbie question if you don't mind about wiping/installing.

If I use BBSAK do I just install the OS on my PC like normal.
    Then instead of just running loader.exe I open up BBSAK then choose 'Wipe Device' and then run 'Load OS'?
    Yes and yes.
    11-05-10 05:34 AM
    Wiping first is pointless as the phone is wiped during the install process.
    11-05-10 06:12 AM
    I personally do a BBsak backup of third party apps, and a complete and selective DM backup, and bbsak wipe. Then just let app loader do its thing. Yes App loader does a backup and wipe, then reinstall of the backup. If the device was clean to begin with there's no backup to reinstall.
    I prefer to have a clean device to install an OS on(have had better luck with all my older BB's doing it this way as the odd setting or the odd bug doesn't carry over). Guess its just a matter of doing it the same way, old habits are hard to break.

Selective backup is usually just address book, that way any odd bug that might have carried over from a backup, can be narrowed down to the backup or the OS.

Just my .02$
    11-05-10 06:26 AM
    No need to wipe as a fresh OS install does it. But if it make some feel better, go for it!
    11-05-10 06:39 AM
    Like NoahFecks and many others, including me, will tell you: Apploader does a WIPE during the install process. There is no reason to wipe just for a "clean" install. All it does it force you to manually restore 3rd party apps and backup file.

The only reason to wipe is to remove the OS in order to reinstall the same OS.

An option in Apploader is to NOT restore 3rd party apps and backups. If you want your OS to boot up exactly as it would after doing a wipe and THEN using apploader, you can just tell it not to restore. Apploader will wipe your device for you and install the OS and leave it at default settings as it would be after a security wipe.

The poll is even misleading...when you say "install over the old OS" that's not what happens. It's not like Windows where it just upgrades the files. It is a clean wipe and then install.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 11-05-10 at 06:30 PM.
    11-05-10 06:41 AM
    Considering Loader.exe wipes the device before installing it seems ******** to do it twice.
    11-05-10 06:55 AM
    Considering Loader.exe wipes the device before installing it seems ******** to do it twice.
    +1

I'll never understand why people wipe a device twice...

Then again, I'll never understand why some people start a million threads on Crackberry about what device they think is best, then quickly change their minds, or what OS is the best, and later that day change their minds, and why certain shades of blue make a BlackBerry web browser operate faster on Thursday before eating pancakes at sunset... Right ML?
    11-05-10 07:16 AM
    Yet another pointless poll by ML...

youfailagainkthxbye
    11-05-10 07:18 AM
    Yet another pointless poll by ML...

youfailagainkthxbye
    fail?????

what is this a test? go lurk around in the losers wanna be Torch 9700 forums!

Enjoy your OS 6 that has no memory left
    11-05-10 07:28 AM
    Considering Loader.exe wipes the device before installing it seems unnecessary to do it twice.
    +1

10 char
    11-05-10 07:31 AM
    Can someone just perma-ban ML from posting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 07:36 AM
    fail?????

what is this a test? go lurk around in the losers wanna be Torch 9700 forums!

Enjoy your OS 6 that has no memory left
    Yup, you failed the test... again

And I own a 9780, with OS6 as standard and the same amount of memory as you
    11-05-10 08:17 AM
    Yup, you failed the test... again

And I own a 9780, with OS6 as standard and the same amount of memory as you
    Is ML seriously getting upset about people trolling the wrong forums, and putting up posts that throw the threads off topic !?!?

I am truly shocked! If he isn't starting an irrelevant thread, he's posting up stupid comments in multiple forums, like his recent one in the 9300 forums...

Guys I think OS 6 is more suited towards the 512 MB devices.....

Seriously.....remember when OS 5 came out on the 9000? Yes,it does run, but then you get the clockloading image alot! Same thing would happen on your 9700 or 9330.....it is true that it does support it......but it wasn't made for it.......

9800 and 9780 are the devices to own if you really want to enjoy OS 6 the way it was meant to be....
    Doesn't the 9330 have 512MB? Bonehead.

People in glass houses...

Hey whats a 'wanna be Torch 9700' ? Is that a new device ?
    11-05-10 08:23 AM
    Wiping first is pointless as the phone is wiped during the install process.
    This. No point in repeating the process.
    11-05-10 08:25 AM
    whoops .. clicked the wrong radio button! hahaha

i don't wipe the device..
    11-05-10 09:27 AM
    I personally have had better experiences wiping the device first using BBSAK then loading the OS.......I feel its the cleaner / better way to do it.....

I don't want to just upgrade the components.....I want a fresh / clean install. It does wonders sometimes......

How do you guys prefer doing it?
    11-05-10 10:04 AM
    another dave, eh????
    11-05-10 10:05 AM
    I don't see any reason to wipe the device since the new OS pretty much does that. I just back up everything and restore once the new OS has been installed.
    11-05-10 10:09 AM
    Nope, I just back things up and restore.
    11-05-10 10:32 AM
    I have never wiped my devices before loading an OS and they always worked flawlessly
    11-05-10 11:55 AM
    I do a full backup. Download and install the new OS over the existing one as I usually only update using "official" OS releases from AT&T. I then do a restore.
    11-05-10 12:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD