Kudos to the OP.

As a new BB convert, this post is long overdue. I came from an excellent phone - an unlocked Nokia E71 to the Torch. It takes a heckuva phone to pull me away from Nokia, and the Torch did it. Out of the box, I was 95% happy with my phone. On .214, I am 99.9 % happy. I still miss a few things from my Nokia, and there are a few things RIM needs to tweak on the Torch[wi-fi speed], but I am very happy with this device. Is it perfect? No. Will it get better? Yes.

Now, about trolls. As a new BB convert, I have alot to learn about the RIM way of doing things. So I came to this forum seeking to learn. And what do I see? A whole forum full of posts by trolls bashing the phone for no other reason than because they can. Makes a newb like myself want to stay away, seriously. I almost deleted my membership and left. IMO, the moderators need to crack down on these yahoos much harder. Having to sift thru countless posts by people that are making up for their lack of manhood by trashing a device, while just trying to find out how to maximize the BB experience is exhausting. So, mods, please note this complaint.

Chalk up one more happy Torch camper.
    09-13-10 10:28 AM
    Kudos to the OP.

As a new BB convert, this post is long overdue. I came from an excellent phone - an unlocked Nokia E71 to the Torch. It takes a heckuva phone to pull me away from Nokia, and the Torch did it. Out of the box, I was 95% happy with my phone. On .214, I am 99.9 % happy. I still miss a few things from my Nokia, and there are a few things RIM needs to tweak on the Torch[wi-fi speed], but I am very happy with this device. Is it perfect? No. Will it get better? Yes.

Now, about trolls. As a new BB convert, I have alot to learn about the RIM way of doing things. So I came to this forum seeking to learn. And what do I see? A whole forum full of posts by trolls bashing the phone for no other reason than because they can. Makes a newb like myself want to stay away, seriously. I almost deleted my membership and left. IMO, the moderators need to crack down on these yahoos much harder. Having to sift thru countless posts by people that are making up for their lack of manhood by trashing a device, while just trying to find out how to maximize the BB experience is exhausting. So, mods, please note this complaint.

Chalk up one more happy Torch camper.
    And thank you for a wonderful post! Congrats on turning BB (-: I was had Nokia thoughts too before getting my very first BB (pearl). I have to agree with you about coming here for support and it being exhausting. I find it very disappointing coming to the forums and seeing countless negative and bashing threads. But hasn't stopped my completely. On my 3rd BlackBerry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 11:22 AM
    I also have been on various boards/forums since the late 80s. Never have I seen as much ridiculous trolling as on this 9800 forum! I really wish the mods could/would rein it in as I do believe CB is losing users because of it! Hopefully people are still finding some helping info amongst the BS!
    Last edited by gritsinct; 09-13-10 at 11:57 AM.
    09-13-10 11:54 AM
    Posts like this are great. I get to learn terms like troll lol

09-13-10 01:24 PM
    Yay, another great "I'm happy with my Torch" post.
    Brigadier, I'm curious, what are the things you miss from your Nokia? I've had a couple Nokia smartphones but it's been well over a year. I had an E72 for a while. I think my crackberry addiction is so strong and so well-fed it's almost impossible for me to like anything else. LOL.

I also love my Torch. Have since I got on launch day from the moment I first fired it up. I loaded up .214 a few days ago and just read .225 has leaked so I'll be loading that up this afternoon.

There are pros and cons to being an early adopter. For me, the pros outweigh the cons on the Torch, by a country mile.
    09-13-10 01:35 PM
    I also have been on various boards/forums since the late 80s. Never have I seen as much ridiculous trolling as on this 9800 forum!
    Well said.

It saddens me to see posts in this thread where users are thinking of dumping their memberships because of the insane amount of trolling and hating going on here. Or a poster asking a mod to close their thread because the trolls and haters have reduced to to garbage.

I'm an infrequent poster but a long time lurker here at CB. I can tell you in the past, it was never as bad here as it is right now. I came in looking for info on the 9800 as I was ready to go back to a BB after using the HTC Tilt2 for awhile.

I couldn't believe how many threads with informative posts and threads with users asking questions were just plain being assaulted by obvious trolls and haters. I don't blame anyone if they go elsewhere for information, but we all lose when that happens and the trolls and haters win. WE DON'T WANT THAT!

I've been around boards long enough to weed out the useless morons and add them to my "ignore list" right away but others may not know you can do that or how to do it. That's why I posted up my long rant.

People just go to your user CP and add the trolls and hater's user names to your "ignore list". You will no longer have to see their mindless posts. If everybody who dislikes the useless posts of the worst offenders does this, they will leave. If you see a new user come on, shoot them a PM to welcome them and fill them in on who to add to their ignore lists. There are more of us so it will be easy to drive them away. Remember Don't feed the trolls!

I really wish the mods could/would rein it in as I do believe CB is losing users because of it! Hopefully people are still finding some helping info amongst the BS!
    Again, well said. I do believe the mods need to do a better job at keeping the trolls and haters in check. If just plain makes sense and makes for a more user friendly and informative board. I helped a friend run a fairly large BBS at one time and spent time helping out as a mod on that. Of course we were called "SYSOP'S" back then and having to mod that thing was almost a full time job.

Sometimes it's hard to keep an eye on everyone who's posting. That's where we as users can help out. If you see any poster who you think is just trying to spew out BS and H&D to derail a thread, you can always contact one of the mods and have them look into it. Believe me the mods are there to help and they actually care about the forums they look after, so you can rest assured they WILL follow up and take whatever action they deem necessary. Depending on the severity of the offending posts this could be cancelling a users registration or in extreme cases outright banning of the user forever. I know this to be true. I've witnessed it many times on many different boards and forums.

Think of it a a forum "block watch" the good users prevail by alerting the mods and the abusers are driven out. In the end everyone has a better experience here and isn't that the reason we all come to CB to begin with? To talk Berrys, seek out information, and help out fellow users

Thanks to everyone who posted positive comments regarding my anti troll post and have a great day.
    09-14-10 12:01 AM
    Could not agree more! This phone is great !

09-14-10 12:51 AM
    Well said.

It saddens me to see posts in this thread where users are thinking of dumping their memberships because of the insane amount of trolling and hating going on here. Or a poster asking a mod to close their thread because the trolls and haters have reduced to to garbage.

I'm an infrequent poster but a long time lurker here at CB. I can tell you in the past, it was never as bad here as it is right now. I came in looking for info on the 9800 as I was ready to go back to a BB after using the HTC Tilt2 for awhile.

I couldn't believe how many threads with informative posts and threads with users asking questions were just plain being assaulted by obvious trolls and haters. I don't blame anyone if they go elsewhere for information, but we all lose when that happens and the trolls and haters win. WE DON'T WANT THAT!

I've been around boards long enough to weed out the useless morons and add them to my "ignore list" right away but others may not know you can do that or how to do it. That's why I posted up my long rant.

People just go to your user CP and add the trolls and hater's user names to your "ignore list". You will no longer have to see their mindless posts. If everybody who dislikes the useless posts of the worst offenders does this, they will leave. If you see a new user come on, shoot them a PM to welcome them and fill them in on who to add to their ignore lists. There are more of us so it will be easy to drive them away. Remember Don't feed the trolls!

Again, well said. I do believe the mods need to do a better job at keeping the trolls and haters in check. If just plain makes sense and makes for a more user friendly and informative board. I helped a friend run a fairly large BBS at one time and spent time helping out as a mod on that. Of course we were called "SYSOP'S" back then and having to mod that thing was almost a full time job.

Sometimes it's hard to keep an eye on everyone who's posting. That's where we as users can help out. If you see any poster who you think is just trying to spew out BS and H&D to derail a thread, you can always contact one of the mods and have them look into it. Believe me the mods are there to help and they actually care about the forums they look after, so you can rest assured they WILL follow up and take whatever action they deem necessary. Depending on the severity of the offending posts this could be cancelling a users registration or in extreme cases outright banning of the user forever. I know this to be true. I've witnessed it many times on many different boards and forums.

Think of it a a forum "block watch" the good users prevail by alerting the mods and the abusers are driven out. In the end everyone has a better experience here and isn't that the reason we all come to CB to begin with? To talk Berrys, seek out information, and help out fellow users

Thanks to everyone who posted positive comments regarding my anti troll post and have a great day.
    I still find much useful info on hear and I do not take part in BB bashing. Some of the things that I don't like I have either 1 learn how to fix on this forum or 2 using the .214 upgrade which has lots of info on this forum. To all the trolls with their other phones I simply ignore their posts.

09-14-10 10:59 AM
    To the OP of this thread, thanks. I come on Crackberry pretty much to read up on what works and what doesnt, and to get answers to things that arent obvious to me. For that purpose, I love Crackberry. But the 9800 forum has been particularly negative in my opinion. And to me (and I'm glad to read, also to others) Ive had nothing but a positive experience with the Torch. As I sat on the couch on Sunday, reading dozens of articles on my Torch as I manipulated my fantasy football lineup, BBM'ed some friends and listened to music and read my emails, I sighed that happy sigh of someone who is completely content with their handheld device.....and I used it HEAVILY that day from morning to night, and was very impressed with the battery life to boot. And then again on the train this morning, on a conference call using my bluetooth stereo headset for at least 40 minutes and probably 15 miles...with no dropping, static or signal loss...I even added a second party to the call and drafted a few emails while i was on the call.....AGAIN nothing but freaking deliciousness across the board, and everything I could ask from a smartphone.

The slider only bothers me because so much has been made of the wiggle and I cant help NOT notice that mine suffers from this (very minor, IMO) and yes, I wish it was rock solid....but it really doesnt matter that much to me.

She's freshly 'debadged' (thanks to a 1976 penny:-) and she is awesome in every way. Just my .02 (.03 if we count that other penny)

:-P
    09-14-10 12:05 PM
    Yay, another great "I'm happy with my Torch" post.
    Brigadier, I'm curious, what are the things you miss from your Nokia? I've had a couple Nokia smartphones but it's been well over a year. I had an E72 for a while. I think my crackberry addiction is so strong and so well-fed it's almost impossible for me to like anything else. LOL.

I also love my Torch. Have since I got on launch day from the moment I first fired it up. I loaded up .214 a few days ago and just read .225 has leaked so I'll be loading that up this afternoon.

There are pros and cons to being an early adopter. For me, the pros outweigh the cons on the Torch, by a country mile.
    I miss the talking ringtones - phones says caller's name when ringing, and I miss wi-fi that works reliably and is fast. The wi-fi on my unit connects, is quick, then slows to a crawl. for starters.
    09-14-10 04:39 PM
    It's about time we had some sensible posts. The op was spot on in my opinion. Don't know why we have so many negative people on this site at the moment.
    The forums should be used to gain knowledge and offer help to other bb users, I know that I learnt a lot when I first joined with help from some very generous people, let's keep it that way.

09-14-10 04:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD