My wife just upgraded from the Curve 8900 to the Torch 9800. Her usual data use was easily under 200mb a month. She is now 2 weeks in with the 9800 and she is almost running out of her monthly data allotment of 200mb. She is using the same apps and the same amount of web time.

Does the 9800 use more data than other phones?
    Anybody else experience this?
    11-14-10 06:16 PM
    It could be from the Social Feeds app that is checking Facebook and Twitter (assumning she does)..depending on how her refresh rate is set it could be constantly updating, thus using up data. As well..any weather programs that constantly update will draw more data. Perhaps she is browsing more and watching a few more Youtube videos as well?
    11-14-10 06:19 PM
    I've never thought to see if my usage has increased; I have unlimited access through my plan (TMo). The Torch definitely has more updates/refreshes/looking for data that my Pearl did, however. She should check everything that updates and disable it if she doesn't use it, i.e. social feeds.
    11-14-10 06:23 PM
    I recently upgraded from bb curve to the Torch and i noticed about 25% increase in data usage per month.. i have the 2gb plan but have yet to use even half of that
    11-14-10 07:07 PM
    Thanks for the input. I had checked her facebook and it seems to be set as the Curve was set, I am thinking that should be the same data use. FB is the only social app she uses. As far as I know, she is not a YouTuber.

We were on unlimited data plans with AT&T, when they went to tiered data we lowered our data to save on our bill as we were always at a low data use per month. It is not a huge issue to increase her data plan, mostly was interested to see why there was such a data use difference between the curve and torch. Also wondering if OS5 is more data-efficient than OS6.

I'll do some more digging and checking on this. Again, thank you for your thoughts on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-10 06:08 AM
    I looked at my data usage for the past 10 months and it does seem that there is more data being consumed on the Torch than previously on my 9000. For the first 7 billing periods of the year I had gone over 100MB only twice, once in April and once in July right before I switched. The past 3 billing periods (since I got the Torch) have all consistently been over 100MB, and I'm even using WiFi more often than not (more so than I did on the 9000 since data was unlimited at that time). Totally deleted the social feeds app so that's not the issue, I'm using the same apps the same way as I did on the 9000. I think it's quite possible that OS6 is just not as efficient as OS5.
    11-15-10 06:24 AM
    I find that I am using the web way more on mt torch than on my older bb's, just because it is a much better experience. Also spending a lot of time on these forums learning and tweaking. Just that increased my data usage some although I don't worry about it since I'll never use my 6gig allowance.

11-15-10 06:52 AM
    I find myself using the browser way more then I used to. Being on an unlimited pan I've never actually looked at my data usage, so I can't say for sure whether I'm using more or not. Would assume I am since I find myself using the device more and more every day.
    11-15-10 07:04 AM
    My lovely bride of 13 years told me about the extra data she was using but did not tell me she was not using wi-fi at home like she always did on the curve. It seems all her web browsing and Facebook stuff was at home and wi-fi. She had not set up the Torch for wi-fi! I wish I knew that detail before I asked what is now an incredibly simple question.

I have configured her to use our home wi-fi, so I am sure we'll be back to normal. Thanks again for all the input, I am sure she'll be back to usual numbers and we'll be happy again.

Now I can't wait for February when I can upgrade to the Torch as well, I really do like that device.
    11-16-10 10:25 AM
    data usage definitely went up for me with the torch. for me its mostly cuz the torch has a full browser rather than the one on my bold 9700.
    11-16-10 11:25 AM
    Just checked my data usage last night for grins ... Went from under 2 mb/month pre-Torch to 195 mb last month. That's more than the wife usually does with her iPhone. No question why - I use this thing constantly for all kinds of stuff, where I only used the Bold before it for phone calls and email. I'm grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan, so no biggie. But still... it's a 100x increase! A lot of that is app and theme downloads which will eventually level off, but I'm actually enjoying mobile browsing now, which was more of a chore on previous phones.

11-16-10 11:28 AM
    you may also want to keep in mind if u r comming from a 2g curve to a 3g torch or any 3g unit and spending the same amount of time browsing, you are actually accessing more content than you were at your 2g speeds because in that same amount of time you can access more pages and images that may not have fully loaded before may be fully loading now, just something to keep in mind.
    11-16-10 12:40 PM
    Could it be the new browser? Its now loading the standard webpage rather than the stripped down mobile site.

- Charles
    11-16-10 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD