My friend is on AT&T and just realized her data services were up.

Do they charge for data services extra when roaming?

She hasn't made any calls, but she's worried they might charge for data services.

She's now in Jamaica.
    Last edited by Apocrathy; 12-23-10 at 11:25 AM.
    12-23-10 11:19 AM
    When roaming? AT&T is a nationwide network, with nationwide long distance. Ive never come across roaming data charges and Ive been all across the nation. I don't believe there are any roaming charges as long as your on a normal AT&T plan.
    12-23-10 11:20 AM
    We're in jamaica right now.
    12-23-10 11:27 AM
    yeah that will for sure use roaming data. AT&T does charge extra for it, but I'm not positive on the charge.
    12-23-10 11:32 AM
    I know they charge outrageous fees in Europe.
    It's always best to unlock the phone and get local service wherever you are traveling.
    12-23-10 11:33 AM
    My friend is on AT&T and just realized her data services were up.

Do they charge for data services extra when roaming?

She hasn't made any calls, but she's worried they might charge for data services.

She's now in Jamaica.
    From AT&T's website: "Please Note:
    1 MB = 1024KB
    $0.0195/KB = about $20/MB
    $0.010/KB = about $10/MB
    $0.005/KB = about $5/MB"
    Apocrathy likes this.
    12-23-10 11:34 AM
    oh turning that off now. ugh
    12-23-10 11:39 AM
    I'm in Canada and every time i go to Niagara Falls (still on Canadian side) my BB will pickup US signal and start roaming... With all the apps and core OS configured for background updates checking etc I always get $3-5 in data roaming just for an hour or so by the falls (and not even touching my phone) ;-)
    12-23-10 12:03 PM
    When she comes back to the US and gets her bill, tell her not to freak out :-)

The best thing to do is to phone AT&T's customer service, or go in to an AT&T Company Store and work with them politely and admit to the 'mistake.' They can retroactively bill the account for the previous month with the proper International Data Roaming plan. I've had to do this a couple times when I went over my plan when roaming and had them retroactively apply the higher plan to my account.

Now, depending on her billing structure, she may need to pay the bill, but the account will be credited for the next month.

Obviously wouldn't be worth the time and effort for a couple bucks, but it's up to your friend to decide.

The International Data Traveller plans are:
    20MB - $25
    50MB - $60
    100MB-$120
    200MB-$200

AT&T International - Wireless from AT&T
    12-24-10 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD