and if I used the email app, that wouldn't use any data?

And can you explain push email or point me in the right direction where I can find out?
    11-12-10 02:26 PM
    Hey guys I will be picking up a torch real soon along with the required data plan.. I just don't know which to choose.. I've got a couplle questions.

I plan on doing a medium amount of browsing, recieving and sending a very small amount of emails.. and be on BBM alot. No streaming music etc.. that's pretty much all i need it for.

Now I saw that receiving emails with attatchments use memory, so I was curious as to if this only uses memory only if you open the attatchment right?

And also, is being on BBM count as using data as well?
    11-12-10 08:19 PM
    Downloading or opening the attachment uses data. If you don't do either it does not use data.

BBM uses data but it's going to be pretty insignificant unless you do file transfers over BBM (receive/send pics, etc).
    11-12-10 08:23 PM
    k thanks.. !

Another silly question, if I'm on the network but not browsing the web it's not using data right? Like if I was at home (where I have wi-fi) I shouldn't have to turn it off and put it on wi-fi right?

And also, how do I check how much data I've used exactly?
    11-12-10 08:30 PM
    That is correct. If you set your Torch up to auto-connect to your home wifi, it'll continue to do so every time you're home. All browsing, bbm, etc will be done over your wifi connection.

From AT&T's website:
    Dial *DATA# (*3282#) from your wireless device.
    Press the Send key.
    A text message detailing your data usage will be sent to your phone.
    11-12-10 08:32 PM
    1) Data monitoring apps (on device)
    2) your carrier web site should let you login to your account and monitor data usage, but it might not be real time.

As for the first question, yes and no. If email is pushing (if you setup email accounts on your BIS account) those push emails will use data whenever you get them.

If any apps try to access data automatically, it could use data.

Most apps and the browser default to use Wifi if it's available rather than 3g, but not every single app does so it's not exactly a guarantee.
    11-12-10 08:32 PM
    thanks radio and and papped.. So I guess the smartest thing to do would be to leave the wi-fi to automatic connect then so I could just switch over when in my house etc.?
    11-12-10 08:35 PM
    That or there are apps that manage wifi for you based on cell tower location (ie if you connect to tower X near your house it turns on wifi). They're not necessarily foolproof, but might be worth looking into.
    11-12-10 08:37 PM
    k cool. and is that number radiochik put realtime? Or is there really no way of getting real time data use?
    11-12-10 08:40 PM
    Not sure since I don't use it, so I never verified.
    11-12-10 08:43 PM
    k, thanks!

sorry forgot to ask one more thing, when I get those emails on the phone (attatchments or not) will it use data even if I don't open it? Say I just click the email app, and view what I recieved (as a whole, without clicking on any specific email) that doesnt' use data right?
    Last edited by solekeeper90; 11-12-10 at 08:53 PM.
    11-12-10 08:51 PM
    Receiving the email notification means the email was sent to your phone.

So the email already used data. However it's only the relevent portion that you received (not the attachments or images usually), so it's usually pretty small. Which is why BB truncates the image by default so that you use less data.

If you don't want to use push email + data at all, you might be better of using email apps or the mobile website for your email provider or something like that.
    11-12-10 08:55 PM
    and if I used the email app, that wouldn't use any data?

And can you explain push email or point me in the right direction where I can find out?
    11-12-10 09:27 PM
    I have a 9700 on AT&T. I use WiFi at home, but that's about it. I get emails quite often, use Facebook all the time, and have WeatherBug set to update every 5 minutes. I browse the Internet very often, but usually mobile sites only. I also watch YouTube videos streaming over 3G often. With all of this, I haven't even come close to exceeding my 2GB cap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 09:28 PM
    Email apps use data. The difference is it's not push. It will only check email when you run the app, which you can wait to do once you are on wifi.

Push email = when you get an email in your gmail inbox, your phone gets it. You don't have to ask for your new emails, they just show up.

With pull email, you get email when you ask for it, ie you don't know if you have new email until you load the gmail app and check.
    11-12-10 09:31 PM
    oh ok, so I can just download an email app.. (those will all be pull apps right)?
    11-12-10 09:38 PM
    Yeah. Probably not all email providers have them though, depends who you use. You can always use the mobile websites though.
    11-12-10 09:39 PM
    I have yahoo.

So ok, just to get this down.. lol

When I get my phone I can find a pull email app, download it, and ONLY when I click that email app it will load my emails etc..? Without using any data, right?
    11-12-10 09:47 PM
    If you are on wifi, yes. Just don't leave the app running and forget about it because some apps if they are left running will keep checking for email.

So if you leave it running and then disconnect wifi at some point, the app might still check for email.
    11-12-10 09:49 PM
    I have a 9700 on AT&T. I use WiFi at home, but that's about it. I get emails quite often, use Facebook all the time, and have WeatherBug set to update every 5 minutes. I browse the Internet very often, but usually mobile sites only. I also watch YouTube videos streaming over 3G often. With all of this, I haven't even come close to exceeding my 2GB cap.

Must not be that often lol, I did pretty much what you said (granted our views of the meaning of "often" might differ lol) plus about 2-5hrs of pandora daily and last month I hit 4.7gb

11-12-10 10:11 PM
    ok. sounds good. Isn't there an option if I use regular email (constant) to get check for emails every so often (10 minutes etc..)?

i could jus do that too right, to save myself some data? I don't email that often anyway.
    11-12-10 10:28 PM
    I have a similar question that wasn't clearly answered on a thread I created, if I'm at home and switch in the wifi, but on top my torch I see At&t-wifinetworkname and on the right side, I see 3g so will ibrowsing the web go towards my data plan or wifi?

11-13-10 12:03 AM
    ok. sounds good. Isn't there an option if I use regular email (constant) to get check for emails every so often (10 minutes etc..)?

i could jus do that too right, to save myself some data? I don't email that often anyway.
    What kind of data plan do you have that you are so concerned about going over? If you aren't streaming radio or watching YouTube all the time, you will use very small amounts of data with just email and surfing. All email in the native app is push and it is really the best way to use the least amount if data, as data is only used when you actually have email. If you could get it to poll every 10 mins, it would use data every 10 mins and if you don't get a ton of emails...that's just wasted data. My wife has 3 email accounts on her BB, does some light surfing every day, facebook constantly, tons of BBM and she rarely uses more than 75mb a month.

11-13-10 03:34 AM
    I have a similar question that wasn't clearly answered on a thread I created, if I'm at home and switch in the wifi, but on top my torch I see At&t-wifinetworkname and on the right side, I see 3g so will ibrowsing the web go towards my data plan or wifi?

The torch by default uses wifi first, if connected to wifi. Not your mobile data, no need to change browser settings like on older devices.

I gotta say papped you have way more patience then I do. I think you answered his question in your first post. lol
    11-13-10 05:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD