01-30-11 02:38 PM
39 12
tools
    Ugh. I did the same switch and I hated it. Overall, I feel that the switch was needed, to keep up with technology, but I miss so many things on my curve. I miss the keyboard, the feel, the ease, etc. There will be a huge learning curve for you if this is your first touchscreen (as it was mine). Plus there are a lot of glitches I'm experiencing with either .337 or apps that are conflicting with .337. There's the txt message problem starting in the middle, the glitch with hitting reply to txt message and it going to the second txt entry, the screen blacking out, the wiggle, not to mention the horrible virtual and physical keyboards. My son has an iphone I've tried and typing is way better on that thing. Its a work in progress. So overall, IMO, you'll see that the change was more good than bad, but there are a lot of bad! (I wish I could return my phone, but its too late.) Good luck.
    01-27-11 01:58 PM
    LOL. I can definitely see a lot of "bad"...larger screen and a touchscreen..trackpad instead of a trackball..better camera and browser..more up to date OS..tabbed browsing..touchscreen gestures and universal search..these Torch attributes can really a real drag..NOT. Once you go Torch, you can never go back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 09:00 PM
    LOL. I can definitely see a lot of "bad"...larger screen and a touchscreen..trackpad instead of a trackball..better camera and browser..more up to date OS..tabbed browsing..touchscreen gestures and universal search..these Torch attributes can really a real drag..NOT. Once you go Torch, you can never go back.

Nicely put
    01-27-11 10:28 PM
    Just curious, what happened to the famous, well known BB alert? Lightspeed notifier? Its not in Blackberry 6. Unless I didn't notice it, but I think I looked pretty good for it throughout the settings and so on.
    01-27-11 10:32 PM
    Try the Berry PopUp app and the BerryBuzz app.

01-28-11 06:30 AM
    I had a few curves before I got my Torch. I think you will enjoy it. I feel that this BB is the most multimedia friendly in my opinion. I could never figure out how to sync music onto my past BB's and it was pretty easy with the Torch. Click and drag.

And it's a lot more fun on the browser than past BB's. I have a love/hate relationship with the slider function. Most times, I love it. But every now and then when I'm in a hurry, sliding it open feels tedious. nit picky, I know.

But overall. It's a nice device. I hope you like yours.
    01-28-11 08:43 AM
    So far I love the torch and everything about it. I can understand what u mean about the slider. I noticed that by 3pm my battery is at around 35%. But then again, I leave my house @ 3am for work, and use the torch way more than I did my curve. I'm now doing a lot of music/video streaming which I barely did with my curve.

01-29-11 04:32 AM
    Forgot to mention that one thing I find to be a pain in the A** with the Torch is the lock screen button at the top. I haven't gotten a case/holster for the phone yet and when in my pocket, the lock screen button keeps getting pressed. I know I can set a password to lock the device, but its a bit frustrating having to enter the password any time I wanna use the phone.I remember with the curve in order ro unlock the device you had to press the * and green call button. But on the Torch it doesn't have that option that I know of.

Any input on this?

01-29-11 06:23 AM
    So I finally got my Torch yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down.
    All I can say is, ROFLMFAO!! Oh, does that sound familiar.

So far I love the torch and everything about it. I can understand what u mean about the slider. I noticed that by 3pm my battery is at around 35%. But then again, I leave my house @ 3am for work, and use the torch way more than I did my curve. I'm now doing a lot of music/video streaming which I barely did with my curve.
    Just be sure to charge it regularly; unlike the old ni-cads, these batteries don't have a 'memory'. They do best if they're kept topped off, and in fact it's more harmful to them to drain them too low. After a few regular charging cycles, you should see the battery life improving.

I have a question for you guys. The Torch came with quite a few preinstalled apps, like computers come with nowadays. How can I remove these apps that I don't want. I don't want to just hide the icons, I want to permanently remove/uninstall them. Do I have to connect it to my PC and use the BB desktop software to remove them?
    You can remove apps through DM, but you can also delete them on the phone itself by holding your finger on the icon until a short menu pops up giving you a number of options, including move, move to folder, hide, launch, or delete. Or you can highlight it via the trackpad and go to the main menu (BB key) and select Delete from there. Most applications will require a reboot to be completely deleted; so if you have a bunch of apps you want to trash, it's probably easier to do it from DM.

One other option instead of deleting them is to just hide them in case there's something that you may want to try at some point down the road. Once you've marked them as Hide, go into the BB menu from anywhere and uncheck the Show All option. (Check Show All again to see everything that's hidden.) Most of the pre-canned bloatware is just is just a link to a web site that installs the full app anyway, so they're not really taking up much space. Some people also create a special folder for such junk and then just hide the whole folder.

I still love the Curve. It was my first BB. But I gotta say, the Torch has got to be the best BB ever released.
    My Bold 9000 still has a special place in my heart, too; but the Torch has spoiled me bad now and I know I can never go back. Really, really love this phone.

As for your lock button issue, there are a couple of screen-locking apps that some people use just for that purpose. Two I can think of off the top of my head are Pattern Lock and Storm Slider, but I'm sure there are more. The benefit of these is that they only require a finger swipe or series of swipes to unlock rather than entering a p.i.a. password.

Hope this stuff helps ...
    01-29-11 07:57 PM
    Forgot to mention that one thing I find to be a pain in the A** with the Torch is the lock screen button at the top. I haven't gotten a case/holster for the phone yet and when in my pocket, the lock screen button keeps getting pressed. I know I can set a password to lock the device, but its a bit frustrating having to enter the password any time I wanna use the phone.I remember with the curve in order ro unlock the device you had to press the * and green call button. But on the Torch it doesn't have that option that I know of.

Any input on this?

Get an OEM leather holster.
    01-29-11 08:44 PM
    Its a whole different and BETTER world my friend . Congrats.

01-29-11 10:25 PM
    All I can say is, ROFLMFAO!! Oh, does that sound familiar.

Just be sure to charge it regularly; unlike the old ni-cads, these batteries don't have a 'memory'. They do best if they're kept topped off, and in fact it's more harmful to them to drain them too low. After a few regular charging cycles, you should see the battery life improving.

You can remove apps through DM, but you can also delete them on the phone itself by holding your finger on the icon until a short menu pops up giving you a number of options, including move, move to folder, hide, launch, or delete. Or you can highlight it via the trackpad and go to the main menu (BB key) and select Delete from there. Most applications will require a reboot to be completely deleted; so if you have a bunch of apps you want to trash, it's probably easier to do it from DM.

One other option instead of deleting them is to just hide them in case there's something that you may want to try at some point down the road. Once you've marked them as Hide, go into the BB menu from anywhere and uncheck the Show All option. (Check Show All again to see everything that's hidden.) Most of the pre-canned bloatware is just is just a link to a web site that installs the full app anyway, so they're not really taking up much space. Some people also create a special folder for such junk and then just hide the whole folder.

My Bold 9000 still has a special place in my heart, too; but the Torch has spoiled me bad now and I know I can never go back. Really, really love this phone.

As for your lock button issue, there are a couple of screen-locking apps that some people use just for that purpose. Two I can think of off the top of my head are Pattern Lock and Storm Slider, but I'm sure there are more. The benefit of these is that they only require a finger swipe or series of swipes to unlock rather than entering a p.i.a. password.

Hope this stuff helps ...
    Thanks for the great info
    01-30-11 05:21 AM
    Its a whole different and BETTER world my friend . Congrats.

Thanks. I'm actually getting Sh*# from my wife. She says i'm on my BB ALL the time. But I think shes just hating because I got the Torch and she still has the Curve. LOL. But she should be upgrading soon, to the Torch as well. Once she does, then she'll know what its all about and she won't be able to put it down either.
    01-30-11 05:23 AM
    Had my first bad experience with the Torch just a little while ago. I had like 7 tabs open on the browser, and got a message on the screen telling me to close some tabs because the browser was running low on memory, or something like that. So I did. I also deleted all the cache, cookies, history, passwords, and puahed content.

A little while after that, I installed this program called WHERE. Didn't know what it was, so I figured I'd install it and try it. The icon was on the home screen, came preinstalled. After installing, I tried opening up the actual program and my Torch froze. I had to do a reboot. But this is what worried me the most: the Torch took about 5 minutes to start back up and for me to start using it again.

What gives?

01-30-11 02:38 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD