I have two different points of view here: coming from a soft keyboard (i4) and from using my wife's BB Curve.

The virtual keyboard on the i4 I have to say is superior to the Torch, for one primary reason: when you type on the i4, the key zooms in such a way that it is very easy to see what you hit; on the Torch, it is a more reserved zoom that makes it difficult to see.

Comparing the physical keyboards, the Curve is a bit wider, giving you what feels a bit easier to get used to than the Torch. Having said that, the Torch is pretty easy to use and very easy to get used to. Coming from an i4 and strictly a virtual keyboard, I think the physical keyboard feels great.
    10-02-10 06:10 PM
    I came from the 9000. It takes time to get used to, especially with larger hands you will feel somewhat cramped. The only discernible difference to me was the keys feel flat and stiff compared to previous keyboards.
    I, too, came from the 9000. It took me about a month to get to the smaller keyboard. It was harder to master than I thought it would be, but all is good now.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-02-10 06:51 PM
    I've got the 9700, 9000, Curve, 8820 and Droid X and the only complaint I have with the keyboard is that when I put my AGF/GRT hard case on its nearly impossible to hit the top row cleanly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 07:18 PM
    I'm coming from a 9000 and 9700. Like the others, I have gotten used to the keyboard on the 9800 BUT I find that the "u", "i" and by some extent the "o" keys don't sound and feel like the rest of the keyboard. Those keys feel like it has less movement similar to a feeling that something is obstructing the full movement but I can still register the letter on the screen. Sometimes, it registers duplicates on the screen when I only want one letter again only on those letters.

I might have a bad blackberry though so I'd like to see if anyone else has the same experience.
    10-02-10 07:49 PM
    I went from an 8330 to a 9800. I've slowed down a bit to adapt to the "tighter" keyboard, but I think it will improve over time. I was worried that I would not like the key travel on the Torch coming from the old "clacky" Curve, but it is fine for me. In addition, I am fast becoming a fan of the Reduced Portrait keyboard (Pearl SureType style). It works really good, but I will have to add "haha" to the dictionary, because it writes "gags" and people don't know what I am talking about...
    10-02-10 07:59 PM
    I had a 9630 tour and there was no big difference from keyboards really. And the actual touch screen keyboard is very responsive!
    10-02-10 08:26 PM
    I've been on my torch for only a day now, having come from using a curve. It took me a few hours, but I've gotten used to the slider keyboard and am now nearly as quick with it as I was on the 8330. What is really surprising me, however, is how quickly I've adapted to using the virtual keyboard (in portrait mode that is, I'm still useless the other way).

10-02-10 11:43 PM
    I'm thinking about getting a torch and was wondering if the screen switches to landscape mode when the keyboard is slid out?? I usually text while laying down so was wondering if that would be a problem
    11-02-10 12:05 PM
    I'm thinking about getting a torch and was wondering if the screen switches to landscape mode when the keyboard is slid out?? I usually text while laying down so was wondering if that would be a problem
    Nope ... keyboard out = portrait mode only. But you may be surprised how quickly you get used to the virtual keyboard. I came from a bold and, while I still use the slide-out for surfing and longer typing, I've grown to appreciate the virtual keyboard for quick hits like texts and such.
    11-02-10 03:35 PM
    Coming from a Bold 9000 for two years it was hard at first.
    After a month I'm pretty used to it.
    It's a good keyboard but its obviosuly not going to be as good as the Bold 9000 and Bold 9700 because of the physical dimensions and location of the keyboard.

This feeling will soon pass because you will prefer to take a hit to the keyboard awesomeness to have the touch screen. It's a trade off worth having.
    11-03-10 01:30 PM
    I feel like I'm alone in liking this keyboard. I came from a 9700 and even though I know this has a smaller kayboard, I fould the 9700 felt cramped compaired to this one. I don't know if its a different way of holding it or something but I enjoy the ease of use and stiffness of the keyboard.

11-03-10 01:32 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD