I'm the type of person that needs that extra push to buy something, but for blackberrys, I typically know exactly what I want. And I just realized tonight that I'm tired of straining my eyes on this tiny 9700 screen as I type this. I love this phone, want the 9780, but what would the Torch have to offer, other than the obvious fun factor, bigger screen, touch screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 01:33 AM
    Do a search of all the other posts, you will read tons of great info on people's likes and dislikes.
    10-19-10 07:34 AM
    Seeing as the 9780 will have 6.0, I would say the only advantage to having the torch is the touchscreen, and overall bigger screen. The combination of touch, trackpad, and physical keyboard cant be beat, makes production and functionality easier and smoother.
    10-19-10 07:38 AM
    i agree it just what you find easyer but the combination the 3 is soooooo good and productive oh and enjoy
    10-19-10 08:57 AM
    In my experience since buying the upgrade is just that - an upgrade to an infintly better phone.

Better OS/Screen Size/Browsers the list goes on.
    10-19-10 09:15 AM
    I just realized tonight that I'm tired of straining my eyes on this tiny 9700 screen as I type this.
    If you're tired of straining your eyes now..then I can't see the 9780 being any improvement in the screen size department (unless they've enlarged the screen and i'm not aware of it).

One of the greatest things about the 9800 imo is the fact that you get a FULL 3.2" screen to work with when you're typing on the physical keyboard. Coming from a Storm 9530 with the same size screen, whenever I would type on the touchscreen, my actually screen would get shrinked dramatically from all the space the virtual keyboard took up. The same goes for any candybar style phone..as soon as the virtual keyboard pops up you lose half your screen "real estate". To me it makes a huge difference for viewing emails and typing messages. That and the trackpad, touchscreen combo is friggin sweet!
    10-19-10 09:19 AM
    If you need to be convinced, then you probably shouldn't get a Torch.
    10-19-10 09:42 AM
    Google

in the search window type 9800 review or 9780 review or 9800 vs 9780.

G'luck!
    10-19-10 09:49 AM
    Good a pair and make a choice.
    10-19-10 10:41 AM
    The best way to know for sure is to do in-store testing. I think that you will find the Torch worth it and upgrading the newest OS 6 version will make it much better than the Bold. I have owned the Bold and really liked it until the Torch was released. I cannot imagine going back.
    10-19-10 11:20 AM
    what would the Torch have to offer, other than the obvious fun factor, bigger screen, touch screen.

You hit the nail on the head. Sounds to me your already convinced.
    There isn't a reason not to get the Torch expect you don't want one. Some can come in here and put down the screen res and throw the word high def around. Fact is the Torch renders an aswome screen for what it is. Me and the kids have watched some blurays that I have converted to mp4 and it clear as water. Moving thru menus along with my wife on her ip4 the Torch moved just as fast. She dint have to wait on me a single time. The Torch was built to fuction very well. Everything works together at perforces like 1ghz cpus and hd mini flatscreen entertainment centers. Its a phone for christ sake. Anyway I'll give you a shove cause I know you'll like it.

10-19-10 12:01 PM
    The best way to know for sure is to do in-store testing. I think that you will find the Torch worth it and upgrading the newest OS 6 version will make it much better than the Bold. I have owned the Bold and really liked it until the Torch was released. I cannot imagine going back.
    I agree. Lol. Curve, Pearl, BOLD, and Onyx owner. It's a natural progression in devices to get the Torch, IMO.

@OP It's going to be your device. Your opinion is what really matters. So, do your research on here, the in-store testing, and you will see why a lot of us moved up to the Torch.
    10-19-10 12:03 PM
    I too was debating whether to get the torch. Can someone comment on the reliability/quality of the torch compared to the 9700. I've dropped my 9700 a few times (accidently of course) and was wondering if anyone has any inputs on the 9800?

10-19-10 12:12 PM
    ^ it's solidly built.
    some users are having wobble issues with their sliders..
    but so far our household bought 4 and all of them are ok.
    10-19-10 01:03 PM
    Hey there,

I switch a lot too, from BlackBerry to Blackberry though, as I always want to have the best and newest... Anyways, I think you'll be very happy if you go Torch. I loved my Bold 9700, it was PERFECT, minus the web browsing, and I didn't really do games on my BlackBerry, I HAD an iPod Touch for that... Then I got the Torch, because it was the new thing from RIM and I'll freely admit I'm a borderline fanboy. Anyways, after almost two months, the phone has changed me. I still have all the things I liked about BlackBerry (similar to what you wrote about: battery life, typing, emails, etc...) but now I have the complete device. I for the first time have games and music on my BlackBerry. I even ditched the iPod Touch when I plugged in my Torch to my MacBook to do a weekly backup and the computer asked if I'd like to import any itunes playlists, complete with songs I purchased though itunes... With that I had no need for two devices! But, don't take just my word for it, it could suck and I'd still love it...

I do admit I was hesitant about the switch but I have since given my Bold 9700 away to my sister who was using an old version Curve (still) and my iPod Touch has been relegated to staying in the gym bag, only for use during workouts (as that and when I'm giving flight instruction, are the only two times I am without my BlackBerry). So I really believe if you go with the Torch you will be happy, the UI looks similar in ways, but the OS is improved so much that I even said "Wow" at points... But like I said, don't take just my word for it!
    10-19-10 03:39 PM
    I was debating and complaining about the same thing (9700). I did an actual live test at an AT&T kiosk and the difference was remarkable. I was going to wait and do more research, but ended up turning around and going back to get it. I've had my Torch for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it!!! My 9700 is now boxed up and put away....I say go get the Torch!! And if you like themes, as I do, they are quickly making some great ones! Hope this helps!

10-19-10 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD