Just wondering if Torch users or even blackberry users use this in general. I found a decent explanation of it through google. Not sure if it's 100% correct.

"Content protection will encrypt the contents of the Blackberry device with a 256bit AES key. There are also a couple of other keys used to encrypt / decrypt messages when the device is locked and access to the AES key used to encrypt the main data store is not available, and this is where the option in the BES content protection IT policy come in. They allow you to set 3 key strengths for this stage of the encryption, 160bit 283bit and 571bit and the stronger the key, the larger the password that locks the device has to be.

Also, if you forget your password and you have content protection enabled, you can't reset it from the BES, you have to wipe the handheld.

One of the bigger drawbacks is that because everything is encrypted, everytime you want to open an email
    or calendar item, the blackberry has to decrypt it. Then when you're done, it has to encrypt it again, and I've seen this almost kill a 7230.

Another side effect as you've noted is that because when the device is locked, you can not access the address book (as it is encrypted using a key that you don't currently have access to) it will not be able to show you the name of a caller when they call you.

Overall it's a great strength to the blackberry, and I wouldn't bother looking at anything else until you've tried it, but it does have side effects.."

So with that being said if most of that is correct. How would content encryption be useful if you set a password for your phone? Regardless of encryption when you connect your phone via usb to a pc and it has a password.. you need to enter the password before getting access to the phone via pc right?
    10-05-10 03:23 AM
    Encryption is enabled and locked by my IT Policy, so I can't turn it off for comparison, but it certainly does not "almost kill" my 9630. Since the reviewer is discussing the effect on a 7230, I think you are reading very old information. He is incorrect when he states you cannot access the address book. If you set "Include Contacts" to No, then the address book is not encrypted and the Caller ID function works properly.
    10-05-10 07:51 AM
    Search encryption in this 9800 forum, some users were having performance issues with encryption enabled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 08:00 AM
    Oh really? I can see that based off of what I posted. You have to encrypt and decrypt things constantly. Puts a tool on your device.

10-05-10 08:21 AM
    Encrypting and decrypting happens so quickly I never notice a lag. But as I said, I can't turn it off, so I can't compare performance with and without. But with it on, my 9630 running 5.0.0.732 is fine.
    10-05-10 09:02 AM
    I see, yea that is old info but some of it seemed good. I'm not on BES, just the consumer side.. So was wondering if its beneficial at all to consumers

10-05-10 10:46 AM
    I'd be surprised if encryption offered any useful benefit to most users, consumers or BES. If your phone is password protected, no one is going to get to your data anyway. If it's not password protected and you lose it, whoever finds it has everything in it. The phone numbers of everybody you've called or who've called you recently, the names and phone numbers and addresses and maybe even pictures of your friends and family...

I'm a big believer in passwords. Just don't forget it, since there's no way to recover if you do.
    10-05-10 11:20 AM
    Encryption is hardware accelerated nowadays so the impact is minimal.

If data security is a priority for you then by all means encrypt.
    10-05-10 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD