Hi!

I went from a iphone to a Torch. My computer is a Macbook Pro.

On my iphone, I was able to separate my contacts into groups (business, personals, and emails only).

I was able to either only view one of those groups (as a default setting) or choose the option to view all.

how do I do this with my BB? Its very frustrating to see all those contacts that I rarely use.

Thank you!
    10-29-10 11:48 AM
    Place your individual contacts under specific categories (business, personal etc.) and then set the current category on your Blackberry via Filters.
    10-29-10 12:19 PM
    You can also create groups, more or less just adds a "business" or "personal" contact that you can then select and view all those in that group. When in contacts hit the menu button and select "New Group"
    10-29-10 12:50 PM
    Place your individual contacts under specific categories (business, personal etc.) and then set the current category on your Blackberry via Filters.

Im sorry if im really ignorant here. Can you tell me the step by steps? So far, my contacts are all in different categories on my mac contacts.

I think I first have to sync my BB to my computer because I added numbers on my BB that are not yet in my computer.

Then what do I do? Thanks so much!
    10-29-10 12:58 PM
    Perhaps it would help if we think of Groups (iPhone) as Categories (Blackberry). Not sure though.
    Once you have your contacts on your Torch check one of the contacts (via edit contact) to see if the 'category' field was properly ported onto the device.
    i.e Business/Personal:

If you see a proper category for your contact then you are all set.
    Now in contacts you just need to go to Menu --> Filter and put a check box beside the Category that you wish to see by default.
    (this is where you have to understand that the Filters just use the Category the contact has.)

Note that you can only filter by one category at a time.

I dont use a Mac or iPhone so hopefully someone who does can chime in here if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 10-29-10 at 02:16 PM.
    10-29-10 02:06 PM
    Im sorry if im really ignorant here. Can you tell me the step by steps? So far, my contacts are all in different categories on my mac contacts.

I think I first have to sync my BB to my computer because I added numbers on my BB that are not yet in my computer.

Then what do I do? Thanks so much!
    Your question taught me something so don't apologize for not knowing. That's what the forums are for.

To add a Category to a contact, I selected and opened the contact, clicked the BB button (Blackberry icon), and selected Edit. Scroll down a bit on the contact information and you will see "Categories" and an Edit button. Click Edit and select Business or Personal (or add additional Categories). Hit the return arrow, select Save. Hit the return arrow again and select Save to back out of the individual contact. A bit tedious if you have a lot to do. Maybe someone else knows a way to do it in a batch fashion.

To Filter the Contacts by Category, open Contacts, click the BB/menu button, and select Filter. Then select the Category you want.

If you have categories already setup in the contacts on your computer, that may carry over when you sync with the phone. Not sure about that and it may depend on what program you are using on your computer.
    10-29-10 02:12 PM
    In addition to Filters, or instead of, you can also give people common words under "Company." For example, you work for XYZ Co. but sometimes you need to only contact your accounting dept.
    So you have all your work contacts with XYZ as their Company, but add "acct" to it for all in that dept.
    Then open Contacts and start typing "acct" and it will refine your search to show only those. You don't have to type the other portion of the Company name at all.

Whenever you open your Contacts app and start typing, it actively for those words under First Name, Last Name, and Company.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD