I currently have the 9700 on at&t and my upgrade came last week but I haven't been in a rush to get a new phone as I am not completely sold on anything out right now. The Torch was always my first choice, but certain limitations have kept me hesitant. Like when I read the post about the browser maxing out of memory and not opening a webpage, or things I read about lag at times. But I want to hear from current Torch owners about those 2 issues and if they really have an effect on your phone experience. My other choices were and iPhone 4, Windows Phone (which I'd wait to see what they do with an update) or Android (which I would'nt buy until dual-core came out), but I really don't want to switch to either.
    12-27-10 01:43 PM
    Up to you man. Depends on your personal preference and what you use it for. If you are leaning towards the Torch, go with it and try it for 30 days. If it doesn't work out for you they will allow you to swap it out or return it.

I love my Torch, no complaints here.
    12-27-10 01:51 PM
    Up to you man. Depends on your personal preference and what you use it for. If you are leaning towards the Torch, go with it and try it for 30 days. If it doesn't work out for you they will allow you to swap it out or return it.

I love my Torch, no complaints here.
    12-27-10 01:52 PM
    The torch is a pretty solid phone and haven't had any issues so far. The phone looks and feels good. It's the fastest BB I've had so far.
    12-27-10 02:10 PM
    I currently have the 9700 on at&t and my upgrade came last week but I haven't been in a rush to get a new phone as I am not completely sold on anything out right now. The Torch was always my first choice, but certain limitations have kept me hesitant. Like when I read the post about the browser maxing out of memory and not opening a webpage, or things I read about lag at times. But I want to hear from current Torch owners about those 2 issues and if they really have an effect on your phone experience. My other choices were and iPhone 4, Windows Phone (which I'd wait to see what they do with an update) or Android (which I would'nt buy until dual-core came out), but I really don't want to switch to either.
    since i have the Torch ( Aug 12, 2010) i never experienced these problems.
    try other platforms.. don't limit yourself to a blackberry.
    only then will you be able to do an informed decision..
    depending on your needs.. whether you need a multi media device more than a real phone.. or a phone with multimedia function..
    12-27-10 02:15 PM
    I had a Torch when first released and enjoyed it at first. However as time went on I found the virtual keyboard rather difficult to type on with any degree of speed or accuracy. I also felt the physical keyboard was a little cramped and due the flat key was also difficult to use. But there are plenty of people that absolutely love them. My experience doesn't mean I think it's a bad device, it just didn't work for me. I think the Torch is a well made, solid device with a lot of great features. However, I had the opportunity to get my hands on an official AT&T branded 9780....and I haven't looked back since.

Take your time and get the device that works best for you. Peace.
    12-27-10 02:34 PM
    Dont rush. Take your time and test a few out at the store. I jumped on the iPhone 4 bandwagon only to come back to BB 3 months later. Spent full price for my 9780 but don't regret it. Take some time and test ones that catch your eye.
    12-27-10 02:43 PM
    Surfing is not a big part of my life but so far met no pages the Torch browser would not open.

Minor lag on occasions when going from landscape to portrait but nothing about which to complain.

Came from a 9000 which was a marvel, but still I love my Torch.
    12-27-10 03:17 PM
    Never had the browser max out memory or any other issue. In fact now that I've upgraded my wireless router, the browser downright screams over WiFi. As for lag, the only times my phone has ever dropped to a momentary crawl is during some games, but never in any 'regular' apps. Touch screen response is as good as my wife's 3Gs; although the feel isn't identical to the iPhone, I can't say that it's not as good ... it's just not the same. But if you're already leaning toward the Torch, those two issues are really non-issues.

I too came from a 9000. I debated quite awhile before deciding whether or not to leave that form factor for the Torch or go with an iPhone. After a lot of research and matching models to my usage, I decided on the Torch. It took all of about two hours with it to know that I made the right move. Now I can't put the damn thing down. As much as I liked the Bold, I like this Torch even more.
    12-27-10 03:44 PM
    Never had the browser max out memory or any other issue. In fact now that I've upgraded my wireless router, the browser downright screams over WiFi. As for lag, the only times my phone has ever dropped to a momentary crawl is during some games, but never in any 'regular' apps. Touch screen response is as good as my wife's 3Gs; although the feel isn't identical to the iPhone, I can't say that it's not as good ... it's just not the same. But if you're already leaning toward the Torch, those two issues are really non-issues.

I too came from a 9000. I debated quite awhile before deciding whether or not to leave that form factor for the Torch or go with an iPhone. After a lot of research and matching models to my usage, I decided on the Torch. It took all of about two hours with it to know that I made the right move. Now I can't put the damn thing down. As much as I liked the Bold, I like this Torch even more.
    Yup. Have to agree. The build quality is very very good on this and I am coming from a 9700, a BB that's known for its excellent qualities. I wasn't sure myself whether I was going to fully use all the touch screen features but can now honestly say that I'm hooked. See, here's the thing. I'm so used to using the keyboard / trackpad coming over from the 9700, but I have made a concerted effort to use just the touchscreen and trackpad. Doing this, I have found that it's completely changed the way that I look at the phone.

In other words, I've pretended to myself that it doesn't have a keyboard at all, and I've managed to wean myself very quickly from having to slide that keyboard out for every other task. It's quite quick for web-browsing, reading emails and checking our Social Feeds. If I need the keyboard for a task where I *know* that it's appreciably faster, I can slide up the screen to access the keyboard...for messaging for example.

See, even *that* is a perspective change. We CrackBerry addicts are so keyboard-centric that we think of it as sliding out the keyboard where in reality, given the relative thinness of the screen, you're actually sliding up the screen to uncover the keyboard. Semantics, maybe, but give the touchscreen a real chance and you'll never go back. I also read eBooks (both eReader and Kindle and MobiPocket) on my device and really really like the extra screen real estate. Plus the resolution is exactly right for this usage (and for general messaging) since RIM's not given into the temptation of packing in too many pixels per sq. mm. If I need a 900x(whatever) screen I'll use my computer.

My daughter (shhh, don't tell her :-) ) is getting a Samsung touchscreen phone for her birthday. No QWERTY physical keyboard at all, and she couldn't be happier with the idea.

Nice phone, the Torch. But as others have said, you'll have to make the decision yourself but I ain't going back to the Bold.

/Eric
    12-27-10 03:59 PM
    That happened to me this morning: I tried opening a web page and got a message saying the memory maxed out and can't open. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't running any other programs (or pages) in the back ground. The page in question: Boston Traffic Report | Boston Road Conditions MA Are some web pages too data intensive to open via Torch?
    12-27-10 07:10 PM
    I just tried the above link on my torch.

Page loaded fine although quite slow even for wifi(data intensive?), I got "Requested page is too large to load on your device"(even though it loaded fine), and "Memory is low, try closing tabs or clearing cache".

My best guess is this is an extremely data intensive page(or any page you get this on) and could be too large to load properly on the browser?
    12-27-10 07:18 PM
    The Torch is our first BB device and we couldn't be happier. I bought it for my wife's promotion at work so she could be "available" while on the road. Never had the browser max out of memory, not opening a web page or any lag time. As a matter of fact, it's even faster since the official AT&T/RIM OS upgrade.

BUT, go to a corporate store and try one out there, along with the 9780. You just might come home with one.
    12-27-10 07:26 PM
    Thanks everyone for the input, and as it just so happens my brother who works for at&t just got a Torch as his work phone. I'm going to let him try it out for me, and I think I'm going to either get one myself, or just keep my 9700 until the next round of phones come out whenever they do, hopefully sometime in 2011. After all my 9700 does me great, just want to get more into multimedia with a bigger screen, but I don't really want to lose the benefits of having a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 11:02 AM
    You definitely came to the right place for advice. There is plenty of it to be found on here. Like everyone said its a really a personal choice. I was on a 9700 myself which I upgraded to OS6. For me after doing that the only upgrade at that point was the Torch. With OS6 on a 9700 to me it didn't make sense to wait for the 9780 to hit AT&T for more memory and higher res camera to get the same form factor. I was happy to have a larger screen with touch screen. I'm also a a former Palm Treo user so I think part of me was just missing my touch screen
    12-28-10 11:24 AM
    Listen to the truth: the torch is GREAT, but, it has its flaws. Do not expect a great browser or media. Youtube sometime doesn't work right(you see the video until certain point then it says it has a different format) Also, if ur into cameras and videos then don't buy it cuz it has one of the worst cameras and video a phone can have. Its really a down side to it. Otherwise you know all the good, so I won't repeat myself.

12-28-10 12:07 PM
    There's no lag that I can notice. I don't like the browser but Opera Mini works great on the Torch. I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen (it seems to be sensitive when I don't want it to be and then be unresponsive when I try to use it) but I do love the big screen. I was thinking of swapping out to the 9780 if it comes to ATT soon, but I may end up sticking with the Torch.

A lot of people complain about the keyboard on the Torch being too flat, but I actually like it more than the ultra-angled keys on the 9700.

There is a big difference in battery life between the 9700 and the Torch. The 9700 would last all day for me and the Torch seems to be good for about half that time before needing a charge.
    12-28-10 01:44 PM
    Listen to the truth: the torch is GREAT, but, it has its flaws. Do not expect a great browser or media. Youtube sometime doesn't work right(you see the video until certain point then it says it has a different format) Also, if ur into cameras and videos then don't buy it cuz it has one of the worst cameras and video a phone can have. Its really a down side to it. Otherwise you know all the good, so I won't repeat myself.

I think the torch has a better camera than my captivate. The flash on the torch is a big plus, only issue I had with the camera was software relates on the torch. The camera wouldn't snap a picture sometimes and taking a close up shot wasn't the greatest. But if a camera is a main concern then I suggest using a standalone camera for when you need it.

The signal was also stronger on my torch. I work on the edge of att coverage and with my torch I usually never dropped signal completely. 1 bar most of the time but it held better than my current phone. The best part is you get 30 days to decide. Try the ones that interest you and pick the phone that revolves around your lifestyle.

12-28-10 04:04 PM
    Yup! You came to the right place as others have mentioned. I just traded my 9700 in for a 9800. I actually went to the AT&T Store and test drove the Torch 3 times,...did the same at Best Buy. I also test drove the EVO,..4 times. I did not consider an iPhone 4,...not at all.

That said,...I took Best Buy's offer of $0.00 on a 2-year contract. I now need to decide what to do with ym 9700! I've learned so great UI capabilities while having the 9800 for the last 4 days!

I now have all of my 9700 apps loaded,...plus a new OutterBox case and a screen protector. Lastly, I have fortified it with my carry-over 16gb micro SD card.

...this 9800 is ready to rock!
    12-28-10 05:14 PM
    Yup! You came to the right place as others have mentioned. I just traded my 9700 in for a 9800. I actually went to the AT&T Store and test drove the Torch 3 times,...did the same at Best Buy. I also test drove the EVO,..4 times. I did not consider an iPhone 4,...not at all.

That said,...I took Best Buy's offer of $0.00 on a 2-year contract. I now need to decide what to do with ym 9700! I've learned so great UI capabilities while having the 9800 for the last 4 days!

I now have all of my 9700 apps loaded,...plus a new OutterBox case and a screen protector. Lastly, I have fortified it with my carry-over 16gb micro SD card.

...this 9800 is ready to rock!
    How much do u want for the 9700?$$$

12-28-10 06:28 PM
    I've only had one time when I had the "max out" issue...but that was when I had like 10 pages open @ one time!
    12-28-10 11:05 PM
    Of those choices I'd go with the iPhone 4 or the Torch. Only one way to find out... Get a Torch and try it for a few weeks!

12-28-10 11:23 PM
    Of those choices I'd go with the iPhone 4 or the Torch. Only one way to find out... Get a Torch and try it for a few weeks!

Agreed, take the torch for a cruise at your local best buy mobile or at&t store.

12-29-10 05:21 AM
    Give it a try. I didn't do a lot or browsing before I got the torch.
    Its a great device I don't think you'll regret it.

12-29-10 08:39 AM
    I have the torch coming from and lg shine and let's just say that this phone is the best thing since sliced bread coming from the shine.

12-29-10 11:53 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD