I have to admit it that the Torch bought me back to blackberry. Not because of the operating system or because of the touch screen, I admit that at first that was the draw but affter weeks of use just being a blackberry was what I missed. I admit I love the Iphone 4 and loved using it but what I miss was the little things that you notice that you don,t have anymore. Customizing that was a big one I forgot how custom a phone can be being with the iphone. Notifications were trully missed I can look at my phone from across the room and by the color of the led I know what it is. the typing on the keyboard is probaly what I miss most. I'm not easy to accept when I'm wrong and maybe I should of never left, but the Torch and blackberry is deffinately for me. The best
    Last edited by Stlbb; 10-07-10 at 05:33 PM. Reason: edit
    10-07-10 10:54 AM
    Welcome back!!! ;-)
    10-07-10 11:33 AM
    Welcome back!

I rarely get excited about new phone models, as a techie I have all kinds of gadgets and it takes a lot to impress me, but the Torch has been absolutely incredible. The combination of a touch screen and relyable keyboard (and a phone that actually works! lol) has made doing everything on it so much faster.

Congrats on a very fine smartphone pick.
    10-07-10 01:18 PM
    Did you update to OS .246?
    10-07-10 01:53 PM
    Did you update to OS .246?
    yes i did no problems
    10-07-10 02:08 PM
    How does the Torch compare with the updated OS to your i4?
    10-07-10 02:23 PM
    How does the Torch compare with the updated OS to your i4?
    The only real holdback is speed i4 is faster. The overall operating system, I have to go with OS6, just simple things like bluetooth sync, wifi sync alot of things have been made more simple. Speed dial is the one thing I took advantage of. Now I have almost the whole keyboard to assign numbers to. But after the update I can tell how smoother things are and snappier.
    10-07-10 02:37 PM
    lol that's a serious confession haha. Kudos to you! and welcome back to the family.
    10-07-10 02:44 PM
    Yesssssssssssssssss welcome back lol
    10-07-10 02:46 PM
    You're not a true Apple fanboy, because a true fanboy would never admit the things you did lol.

Welcome back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 03:08 PM
    Im not an apple fanboy but I admit there are things I miss about the Torch and if I ever went back to BB I would miss things about the iPhone 4. Both are good devices. The little things do count. Yes I miss the red light
    10-07-10 03:29 PM
    Welcome back! I admire your honesty. I've been tempted to leave the family a couple of times but could never bring myself to do it. All in all, I've been very satisfied with my BlackBerry experience. Of course, I'm not a technological expert, but BlackBerry has always been an excellent platform for my needs.
    10-07-10 03:38 PM
    I've used the iPhone since day one. I've also dabbled extensively with Android, which I like a lot. I've had 4 iPhone 4s, so far. Then came the Torch. I love it. Don't ask me why. I know two people who dumped the Torch. One for a 9700 the other to return to an iPhone 4. I don't know. I really like the Torch. I bought one. I sold it. I actually missed it, so I bought another unlocked AT&T. When it hit Canada, I sold the AT&T and bought a Telus. This doesn't mean I don't like the iPhone. It means I'm bored with the iPhone and I just prefer the Torch. So to the OP, you made the right move.
    10-07-10 03:52 PM
    I think he free'ed himself of the fanboy curse. Welcome back to blackberry, Hope you enjoy your torch. I know I'm loving mine
    10-07-10 03:55 PM
    I think we have proven that BB and iPhone owners can exist without starting a pissing contest and share feedback. This is so different from the early days just after launch day.
    10-07-10 03:58 PM
    It's surprising how much you miss customizable LED alerts and profiles on almost every other platform...
    10-07-10 04:55 PM
    I'm a Blackberry fanboy - always have been. I think the Torch is amazing, 'almost' the best blackberry to date. The problems inherently lie with: touch screen isn't 100% responsive the way an iPhone is, I'm on os .246 but it DOES lag quite a bit sometimes and this is majorly off-putting, it feels a lot bulkier as well as less gentle resting in your hand & last but not least, other than BB Messenger, I actually feel bored. The lack of decent games, the lack of a jaw-dropping screen (it's just a bold screen blown up), the lack of apps...

... which is why I'm now purchasing an iPod Touch 4th gen

Problems solved! (well not solved..because the Torch is still a flawed phone... just covered up... but this will do )
    Last edited by markpaulk; 10-07-10 at 05:01 PM.
    10-07-10 04:58 PM
    I think we have proven that BB and iPhone owners can exist without starting a pissing contest and share feedback. This is so different from the early days just after launch day.
    It's true. At the end of the day we're all suckers for technology so we should unite on that front
    10-07-10 05:22 PM
    I'm a Blackberry fanboy - always have been. I think the Torch is amazing, 'almost' the best blackberry to date. The problems inherently lie with: touch screen isn't 100% responsive the way an iPhone is, I'm on os .246 but it DOES lag quite a bit sometimes and this is majorly off-putting, it feels a lot bulkier as well as less gentle resting in your hand & last but not least, other than BB Messenger, I actually feel bored. The lack of decent games, the lack of a jaw-dropping screen (it's just a bold screen blown up), the lack of apps...

... which is why I'm now purchasing an iPod Touch 4th gen

Problems solved! (well not solved..because the Torch is still a flawed phone... just covered up... but this will do )
    The lack of decent games is no problem because I only play games on my 360 and the only one threatening that is windows 7, but the screen to be honest the screen is better on the iphone but it's not as big of diverence like it is with a digital signal and analog signal on a tv, it's more like the difference between plasma and led, no big difference we just put it in our mind that it's better but my sling player looks just as good as it does on the i4.
    10-07-10 05:22 PM
    Welcome back! It's nice that you've come back and it's nice seeing that people can appreciate things about both iPhones and Blackberrys.
    10-07-10 07:00 PM
    The lack of decent games is no problem because I only play games on my 360 and the only one threatening that is windows 7, but the screen to be honest the screen is better on the iphone but it's not as big of diverence like it is with a digital signal and analog signal on a tv, it's more like the difference between plasma and led, no big difference we just put it in our mind that it's better but my sling player looks just as good as it does on the i4.
    No way. The iPhone 4 is WAY better than BB's shoddy screen - just about every smart phone out there is to be honest. I just played a sample .avi file on both the Torch and my friend's iPhone - iPhone wins hands down. As for games, when you're on long journeys with rush hour traffic in London like I am, it's fun playing games to pass the tedious and boring journeys everyday - especially when you're underground and you can't bb anyone. What do you do then? Play Torch's amazing 2 games - BrickBreaker & World Mole?

There's also a huge difference between Plasma & LED - Plasma is better when viewed at night (at least Panasonic's 50" plasma is rated crop above the rest) - the Torch is old school TV and the iPhone is OLED - this would be a better comparison.
    10-07-10 09:56 PM
    No way. The iPhone 4 is WAY better than BB's shoddy screen - just about every smart phone out there is to be honest. I just played a sample .avi file on both the Torch and my friend's iPhone - iPhone wins hands down. As for games, when you're on long journeys with rush hour traffic in London like I am, it's fun playing games to pass the tedious and boring journeys everyday - especially when you're underground and you can't bb anyone. What do you do then? Play Torch's amazing 2 games - BrickBreaker & World Mole?

There's also a huge difference between Plasma & LED - Plasma is better when viewed at night (at least Panasonic's 50" plasma is rated crop above the rest) - the Torch is old school TV and the iPhone is OLED - this would be a better comparison.
    While I agree that the screen on the iphone is better, I believe the best screen on any phone as of right now are the true OLED screens on the Samsung Galaxy series of phones. Seeing the Torch, the iPhone, and a Samsung all side by side playing the same movie, the Samsung is the clear winner. However, all in all, I still believe the Torch has the best all around capabilities of any phone on the market for what I need it to do. As far as games and themes, give it a few more months and I think those issues will diminish as the developers get their products out for us.
    10-07-10 10:06 PM
    What do you do then? Play Torch's amazing 2 games - BrickBreaker & World Mole?
    Umm... I have about 12 free games on my phone all ranging between cards, word, strategy and so on... and only one of them has ads.
    10-07-10 10:56 PM

Well, it seems like you're out numbered in this thread. You are entitled to your opinions but please do not try and brainwash others here so please kindly move along
    10-07-10 11:15 PM
    Welcome back! I am glad you like the Torch, but I have recently discovered that Apple isn't as evil as I thought. I have always stayed away from Apple. I love Windows, and I love BlackBerry, but I have to give it up to Apple on a couple of things.

I recently lost my main MP3 play which was the Zune 8gb which would be like an ipod nano. I loved it for mainly I the same reason I love BlackBerries. The physical controls. I had been using my Torch as a replacement to play music and podcasts which was fine, but I liked using a stand alone device for that, so I was faced with a problem when I decided to go hip and choose between touchscreen mp3 players. Zune HD 32gb, or iPod Touch 32gb. I love the Zune software far more itunes, but long story short I caved into the evil and finally got an Apple product in the iPod Touch which would be real similar to having the iPhone4 Which has lead me to realize where RIM is lacking and needs to improve.

First, I never cared when people first reviewed the Torch and said it sucked because the screen resolution was bad. I thought it looked fine, and was nicer than the 9000 I was using, but after getting the new iPod Touch I realized how much greater the Torch would have been with a better screen. The web browser is where it would help the most. With the ipod I noticed I don't need to zoom in on a lot of pages to be able to read it which was just a really nice convenience. I now understand the gripe the Torch got for its screen, which is still a great touchscreen.

Secondly, the media syncing. After using Zune's software for more than a year, and then resorting back to using iTunes for the ipod. It made me think if RIM could improve its media syncing software how amazing simple it would be to have an all-in-one device. RIM has made improvements to the media syncing with the Desktop Manager software, but I find it still lacking in organization features that would make me want to use as a first choice. I think there is a lot of things RIM has done right with Blackberry media playback. I love the using to physical volume rocker on devices to not only change the volume, but skip songs with it too. I wish the iPod would actually do that since it has the physical keys. Also, RIM is much kinder when it comes to which media formats it support. It's nice to be able to play .avi video files even if it doesn't do the greatest job at it.

Finally, the number of apps. I think there are a lot of solid apps out there for Blackberries, but if RIM is the number one smartphone company why isn't there more developers making apps for their OS. I understand it's easier for developers to code to iOS since there are fewer different devices running it, and coding for all the different Blackberry OSes would be a challenge, but I'm still jealous of the support. I can't blame RIM for all of that, but I wish there was a way to encourage more app growth and mainly support for the Blackberry OS. Oh and yes, I think there is still a much better quality to quantity ratio for BlackBerry apps over iPhone apps, I don't need pointless fart apps.

After finally getting some real hands-on with iOS for a couple days, I think its pretty good, as a media player, but could never work as an OS I use for a phone. I think BB OS blows iOS out of the water when it comes to multitasking, and task managing. This is where having physical controls is so vital. Plus, I'm a physical keyboard guy. I think the touchscreen keyboard is better on iOS, but not by much. Finally like the OP noted, visual notifications are great. Not only with the LED indicator, but having them shown in a notification area too.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I've saw this post and was eager to give my 2 cents after joining the dark side, even if it was only a little bit.
    10-08-10 12:55 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD