Anyone know if the charging port on the 9850 is the same as the one on storm2? just wondering if I will have to buy a new car charger. My wife has a curve 9330 and the connections are the same...wondering if any other of the new devices are the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 11:19 AM
    its the same my friend
    09-05-11 11:34 AM
    They might be the same connector on the charger/phone which is a MicroUSB port, However the older Blackberry phone chargers dont give out enough power to charge the newer phones. Im not sure if the Storms charger falls into this category as I dont have one available to view the specs. Then theres also the chance that it might be powerful enough that it will charge your phone, however not as fast as if your were to charge it with the charger your phone came with. Best bet is to look at the specs of each charger and determine the difference between the two chargers. You wont hurt your phone in any way using any type of MicroUSB charger however as all MicroUSB chargers have to meet certain standards. If i helped click the Thanks button to show the love!
    09-05-11 12:36 PM
    I am more concerned with the car charger...that shouldn't make a difference as long as it fits, right?

09-05-11 12:52 PM
    Well, for MicroUSB as long as it fits yes its ok. But thats only because MicroUSB has power standards it has to meet. DO NOT use the "Just because it fits it must work" method for other chargers such as different sized pin connector chargers as they have different power ratings and I've seen it happen too many times where people have tried using a different power cable "Just because it fit" end up frying their expensive electronics.

But yes, you should have no problem charging your phone off your car charger. It may charge a bit slower as its for an older phone, but car chargers generally charge quicker than a wall charger so you probably wont notice a difference between your wall charger and your car charger as your new phone has higher power requirements. Dont forget to click Thanks!
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-05-11 02:24 PM
    My storm1 wall charger fit the port on the 9850, but after charging once, the charger was very very hot. Won't do that again--I only use the wall charger that came with the 9850 now. I should have checked the phone's instruction booklet before trying that...it clearly states by part number which chargers are compatible with the 9850.

I too am curious about the car charger though...anyone try their storm car charger with the 9850?

Hate to buy one without needing too. Of course I no longer have the box the car charger came in so I have no idea on the specs of the car charger that I currently own. Won't try it until I get a solid answer though...I may just call Verizon to see since the car charger has their brand on it.
    10-04-11 08:13 PM
    Anyone know if the charging port on the 9850 is the same as the one on storm2? just wondering if I will have to buy a new car charger. My wife has a curve 9330 and the connections are the same...wondering if any other of the new devices are the same.

I'm using ALL of my old Storm 2 chargers on my 9850 without issues. Some have reported screen pages flipping and some other weird stuff but I have not experienced this at all.

For whatever its worth I'm on the .353 leak.
    10-04-11 08:39 PM
    I have used the storm chargers and the PlayBook charger, both work just fine.

My car charger I picked up at a gas station for $5 in an emergency...works great! and it has free refill on a fountain drink coupon on the back of the box! Double WIN!
    10-05-11 10:45 AM
    All chargers works fine on my 9850....from my Tour 9630....and my Storm2
    10-05-11 01:17 PM
    The chargers that I got with my Storm and Storm2 work just fine on my Torch 9850. My old genuine BlackBerry car charger (I refused to buy a crappy Verizon one) also works fine and charge it up quickly. When I want a quick charge, I use the one that came with the PlayBook (not the optional quick charger).

I haven't even unpacked the little cube that came with the 9850.
    10-05-11 04:10 PM
    I purchased a dual USB charger from BestBuy, it think their brand, that has a coiled micro-USB cable and a USB port on it that has a 2A capacity output for both ports. I haven't tried to charge two devices with it yet but it charges my 9850 faster than any other charger I have tried.

The Playbook Charger falls a close second with it's 1.7A capacity.

Read the fine print on every charger you purchase to know what the output is at 5V, which is the USB voltage side.
    10-05-11 04:23 PM
    Contacted Verizon Wireless customer support today...as DannyJK states above, they too told me that as long as the charger fits the port 'you are fine'. They did say to make sure that I do not force the charger into the port. Then they asked if I bought the car charger from them--I told them yes, and they said 'yeah you are fine'.
    10-05-11 07:33 PM
    Since we are talking about charging ports... does anyone know if the 9850 cradle works if you have a case on? I have a incipio 2 layer case and would like to get the charging cradle if i dont have to remove the case to use it.
    10-06-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD