The issue I don't even know if its really RELATED to the case. But I got my CaseMate Barely There "Carbon Fiber" today.

And right now, the phones turned. Iffy. As all ****. On occasion when the screen goes dark, I can't wake it unless I slide the keyboard out. (I think they maybe related to the clips on the top, which feel like they press down on both the lock and mute buttons respectively.) Issue happens also in a off state. But it isn't insanely constant.

On top of that, they phone, now acts like my old computer back in 93 would just stop responding at a hardware level. IE, I could not use the keyboard, or the buttons, ANY of them, but I could use the darn screen just fine. If I do a battery pull, oddly enough every gets fixed.

I'm still running 141... Should I really jump the gun, and upgrade to the latest leak? Is the phone possibly really screwed, after simply putting on the case? (No telling what I hurt simply putting on the front plate) or is it just a guldurn fluke that'll be not problematic tomorrow?
    09-11-10 02:20 AM
    Hmm, have you tried removing the case and seeing if it works then? Sounds like a hardware thing more than software, I haven't heard of anyone having the whole input system just freeze up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 05:16 AM
    I had something similar happen with my 9650 when I had an Epik case on it. It was not obvious at first but after numerous random reboots and freeze ups I would take cover off and do a battery pull to fix the problem. It would always fix the issue temporarily and I would unknowingly leave the cover off while I tested the phone to make sure it was working. Naturally it worked just fine and I figured the battery pull is what helped and I would put the cover back on. Sometimes in a matter of minutes to hours to days the freeze ups would happen again and I would undergo the same frustrating process again and again. One day I switched the case on the phone for a different look. Never had another issue again. At first I thought maybe the phone was overheating somehow with the tight fitting Epik case. The new case had cutouts for every port and convenience button and did not cover up like the Epik or Otterbox or even the silicon skins do. I was fiddling around with the phone one day when I realized if I put very light pressure on the side camera button on the phone while using the trackpad I could mimic the issue exactly. After doing a search in the 9650 forum it was confirmed that there is a known issue at least with the 9650 with a freeze up and random reboot issue with the camera button. I have not had another issue since I switched cases. I put a call in to cs and they too said that they have found many freeze ups on different models can be traced back to tight fitting cases activating either side convenience buttons or the top lock or mute buttons. Seems like a "stretch" but in all honesty I have had trouble free service for 2 months straight since I switched.

Ps: the reason I am even responding to this thread is because this afternoon I am making the switch and getting a Torch. Trying to find out the best case to use for my new phone.

09-11-10 08:23 AM
    I had something similar happen with my 9650 when I had an Epik case on it. It was not obvious at first but after numerous random reboots and freeze ups I would take cover off and do a battery pull to fix the problem. It would always fix the issue temporarily and I would unknowingly leave the cover off while I tested the phone to make sure it was working. Naturally it worked just fine and I figured the battery pull is what helped and I would put the cover back on. Sometimes in a matter of minutes to hours to days the freeze ups would happen again and I would undergo the same frustrating process again and again. One day I switched the case on the phone for a different look. Never had another issue again. At first I thought maybe the phone was overheating somehow with the tight fitting Epik case. The new case had cutouts for every port and convenience button and did not cover up like the Epik or Otterbox or even the silicon skins do. I was fiddling around with the phone one day when I realized if I put very light pressure on the side camera button on the phone while using the trackpad I could mimic the issue exactly. After doing a search in the 9650 forum it was confirmed that there is a known issue at least with the 9650 with a freeze up and random reboot issue with the camera button. I have not had another issue since I switched cases. I put a call in to cs and they too said that they have found many freeze ups on different models can be traced back to tight fitting cases activating either side convenience buttons or the top lock or mute buttons. Seems like a "stretch" but in all honesty I have had trouble free service for 2 months straight since I switched.

Ps: the reason I am even responding to this thread is because this afternoon I am making the switch and getting a Torch. Trying to find out the best case to use for my new phone.

I would recommend the leather OEM holster.....The Otterbox seem flimsy to me and very slick on the back. I haven't tried the CaseMate, though but don't think I will either.
    09-11-10 08:27 AM
    Hmm, have you tried removing the case and seeing if it works then? Sounds like a hardware thing more than software, I haven't heard of anyone having the whole input system just freeze up.

Well, after popping the front part off with a penny fifteen minutes after the post (I NEED A PHONE) the problems are actually gone.

It feels like its both levels. The Hardware level of the case pushing down on the mute and lock buttons could in theory mess things up at a software level. But removing the front part does solve the input issues.

Luckily the back part still adds the Bulk to keep it snug in my BB Bold 9000's Holster. And not be loose. Though the lack of the face plate also means putting it in is nice and smooth!

I have also noted that the front plate on the CM Barely There Carbon Fiber, actually does NOT allow the screen to close all the way as it should..... It stops it about 1-3 Centimeter shy (Thats eye balling it, measurements can be off, but it is stopped short. The weight of the clips could be enough.....)
    09-11-10 09:44 AM
    I too had the case mate carbon fiber. The clips at the top were pressing down the buttons though it wasn't very noticible. The clips kept breaking off the top too I think to a design issue. I wrote casemate a letter and said they did not know of any issues with their case. I exchanged to a different brand but I do miss the looks of my carbon fiber case.

09-11-10 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD