10-04-10 12:14 PM
54 123
tools
    I apologize if I'm sounding too straight forward but what is the REAL review of this phone? Half the population says the phone is laggy beyond belief while others say the phone is just fine and snappy. I'm asking this because I recently had a Bold 9700 but the Web Browser was killing me so I decided to get the Samsung Captivate. However, The Captivate just feels too much like a luxury toy rather than a communications device(if that makes sense). Honestly, specs do not matter to me, only the performance. I hear people complaining about the screen resolution not being high enough? Really? I'd worry about screen resolution on a television set rather than on a 3-4 inch CELL PHONE screen. Well anyway guys, sorry for ranting. I'd like to know is it honestly worth it to switch from the Captivate to the Torch? Is the lag really that bad or just exaggerated? Please only people who have used both phones substantially reply.(I'm not heavily into one category i.e multimedia or emails only. I like to use all the functionalities of the phone more or less.). Thanks
    08-21-10 10:59 PM
    For everything in general I'd say torch.

For leaning towards multimedia I'd say captivate.

Captivates more of a toy than the torch plus the keyboard?

And the 9700 will have the webkit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 11:03 PM
    Well, I haven't used a captivate other than plain with it at the store, but I use an iPhone 4 as my main phone. The torch when navigating the main menu and into messaging was pretty snappy with the ocational lag. In other programs such as the maps and web browser it would get very laggy depending on which website I would go to and stuff. Overall it wasn't too bad, the ui wasn't as smooth or as fast as my iPhone, but for what the phone was ment for (a communications device) it felt alot better than my iPhone.
    08-21-10 11:09 PM
    I purchased the Captivate the week the Torch launch thinking I would like it more. That was not the case, I was very disappointed with the battery life of the captivate. Also the captivate has GPS locating issues (supposed patch coming in September). I purchased the Torch the day after release and I must say I don't regret the switch. The captivate is a great phone to "play" with, though is doesn't get stuff done like the blackberry.
    08-21-10 11:13 PM
    I have both. I'm much more productive on the Torch. I pretty much put it away and only use it when my Torch is being charged.

08-21-10 11:15 PM
    If you want a REAL Android phone, you pick a carrier that's not AT&T.
    They chop down most of their Android devices.
    TouchWiz on the Captive isn't that great either.

Torch all the way!
    I'm not saying Android is bad, just that certain device and carrier don't mix.
    08-21-10 11:15 PM
    Well, I haven't used a captivate other than plain with it at the store, but I use an iPhone 4 as my main phone. The torch when navigating the main menu and into messaging was pretty snappy with the ocational lag. In other programs such as the maps and web browser it would get very laggy depending on which website I would go to and stuff. Overall it wasn't too bad, the ui wasn't as smooth or as fast as my iPhone, but for what the phone was ment for (a communications device) it felt alot better than my iPhone.
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments, too.
    08-21-10 11:28 PM
    I purchased the Captivate the week the Torch launch thinking I would like it more. That was not the case, I was very disappointed with the battery life of the captivate. Also the captivate has GPS locating issues (supposed patch coming in September). I purchased the Torch the day after release and I must say I don't regret the switch. The captivuate is a great phone to "play" with, though is doesn't get stuff done like the blackberry.
    I agree! I tried the Captivate first and took it back the screen scratches very easy and the battery life was awful! Sure the screen was vibrant but nothing compares to the Torch! I love this phone having tried both it would be hands down the Torch!
    08-21-10 11:41 PM
    Some good replies here. Glad I read this before I made my own thread about this haha.

08-22-10 12:27 AM
    I hear people complaining about the screen resolution not being high enough? Really? I'd worry about screen resolution on a television set rather than on a 3-4 inch CELL PHONE screen.
    Once you get used to a higher rez screen, it's tough to go back to a low rez one. I use the browser a lot, and with 960x640, the text is sharp enough on webpages that I don't have to bother enlarging it. When I tried out my 3GS again, it looked fuzzy. For example, this website.

This is a subjective thing I think. Some people don't care. It's not a make or break thing, but it's nice to have.
    08-22-10 02:12 AM
    I agree! I tried the Captivate first and took it back the screen scratches very easy
    Are you sure you've had the Captivate for a substantial amount of time?? Because one of the strong points were it's strong and resilient screen. I've had the phone since day one and have never used a screen protector and put it in my pocket with coins, keys, and pens and not a single scratch. Even on youtube, there are scratch tests where an individual puts the phone in ziplock bag filed with keys, screws and coins. He then shooked the bag and not single scratch on the screen so what is your opinion that the Captivate scratches easily based on?
    08-22-10 07:34 AM
    To each his own. Again, we are comparing two different platforms. If you want an entertainment device only, then the Captivate is your choice. If the choice is for a device for a business professional, then the Torch wins. The Captivate can't be used for tethering, no physical keyboard as a backup if the virtual one fails, and no video sharing. It is not UMA capable as the Torch is, although you can't use it on AT&T. The Torch also has a proprietary business communication platform that Captivate lacks. The Captivate does have great resolution, but who, IMO, buys a phone with a scratch resistent screen as one of the criteria for purchasing a PHONE.
    08-22-10 07:50 AM
    To each his own. Again, we are comparing two different platforms. If you want an entertainment device only, then the Captivate is your choice. If the choice is for a device for a business professional, then the Torch wins. The Captivate can't be used for tethering, no physical keyboard as a backup if the virtual one fails, and no video sharing. It is not UMA capable as the Torch is, although you can't use it on AT&T. The Torch also has a proprietary business communication platform that Captivate lacks. The Captivate does have great resolution, but who, IMO, buys a phone with a scratch resistent screen as one of the criteria for purchasing a PHONE.
    Captivate can't be used for tethering? I was under the impression tethering works via the USB and there are some free apps or froyo for wireless tethering? Have I got it wrong? I've seen the captivate tethering that much is for sure but didn't think to ask since I've got a Nexus one on froyo that does it all out of the box.

As for virtual keyboard failure, well that means the whole phone is broken and the 9800 is also severly handicapped in the same scenario so it's a bit of a non-starter.

Also I will argue the captivate is a good business tool running EAS over SSL. It certainly does everything the BB can do with the added bonus of rendering emails brilliantly.

Also what do you mean by no video sharing? The captivate can share videos in any number of ways, maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

This isn't aimed at you but anyone who calls the captivate a toy as I've seen countless times on here should be discounted IMHO since it pretty much matches the Blackberry for business tasks in different ways (although of course each has some stuff the other doesnt do).

Just because it can play games and act as a great media centre doesn't make it any less serious of a business device. Same goes for the Iphone, most use them for consumer tasks but again EAS over SSL offers a good level of security and it handles all business tasks well.
    08-22-10 08:24 AM
    Are you sure you've had the Captivate for a substantial amount of time?? Because one of the strong points were it's strong and resilient screen. I've had the phone since day one and have never used a screen protector and put it in my pocket with coins, keys, and pens and not a single scratch. Even on youtube, there are scratch tests where an individual puts the phone in ziplock bag filed with keys, screws and coins. He then shooked the bag and not single scratch on the screen so what is your opinion that the Captivate scratches easily based on?
    Well since you bypassed all of the other comments in response to your question and jumped on to defend the negative comment about the Captivate, I guess your mind is made up! I hope you enjoy the Captivate.
    08-22-10 08:33 AM
    As some of the others here, I have both. If browsing, media, and apps are your thing, the Captivate is definitely your choice. If messaging, stability(not saying the Captivate isn't), communication, great keyboard, with a good(not great in comparison) browser with good(not great) media functionality is your thing the 9800 is what you want. It just comes down to you and what you need the device for. Different devices suit peoples needs differently.
    08-22-10 08:33 AM
    I'm really torn on this too and am interested in the comments that have been made. One of the the differences that I've read elsewhere is that the email client isn't that great on the Captivate. I can't remember the exact reason but it doesn't seem to have the same great level of functionality that the BB has. Comments?
    08-22-10 09:11 AM
    The BB email platform, based upon my needs, would tend to win. I don't know a single business contact whose company uses the Captivate for business communication. Again, as CX stated, it comes down to your needs. If the Torch meets your needs, then buy it. I personally don't need a warp speed browser and processor as they kill battery life which is key to a business professional. I do have to say that the Captivate does have pretty decent battery life.
    08-22-10 09:19 AM
    I had a Bold 9700, and I loved it except for the browser. But I wanted the larger screen you can get with a touch screen device.

The Torch was not yet available, but the AT&T store had one I could play with. They also had a Captivate and I played with both. I decided that the Torch was not that different from my Bold so I bought the Captivate.

One thing that you will not like going from a BB to a Captivate is the number of settings you can adjust. BB has lots and Captivate has very few. You have to like the way the Captivate works or get used to it. I could not get used to it and after 4 days I returned it and picked up the torch.

The other thing I learned is that I cannot live without a physical keyboard. The Captivate had cool software to correct my touch typing errors (and it worked really well) but I need to feel the keys click under my thumbs.

Is the Torch perfect? No, but I am 95% happy with it, which is really pretty good.
    08-22-10 09:25 AM
    I'm really torn on this too and am interested in the comments that have been made. One of the the differences that I've read elsewhere is that the email client isn't that great on the Captivate. I can't remember the exact reason but it doesn't seem to have the same great level of functionality that the BB has. Comments?
    I was used to seamless integration with my free Yahoo mail with my Bold 9700. Captivate has Yahoo client, but it does not pull the messages down until you click on them and depending on where you are it's very slow. It got better when I paid $20 got Yahoo Plus and was able to set up the Captivate to pull from the POP mail server, but it was not as good as what I was used to from the BB.

I ended up returning the Captivate and buying a Torch.
    08-22-10 09:31 AM
    Well since you bypassed all of the other comments in response to your question and jumped on to defend the negative comment about the Captivate, I guess your mind is made up! I hope you enjoy the Captivate.
    i didn't bypass the previous comments, I just pointed an obviously incorrect statement in Iase anyone else is in the same boat as me.
    Last edited by Lalanik5; 08-22-10 at 10:09 AM.
    08-22-10 10:07 AM
    my work encourages android and in particular the captivate for business communications and has been discouraging BB's ...but everything i read online says otherwise. But that is just it....they just say that. BB have their own business communication platform, but please know that isn't a 'pro' to all business folks. this Captivate from what what i've seen is a serious business tool, many coworkers use it heavily for that, but it swept under as a 'toy' often and from what I've researched that doesn't look fair at all.
    08-22-10 10:39 AM
    if you are busy and take part in meetings regularly (especially ones that need to be rescheduled often), Android and iPhone are non-starters. I actively looked to switch from BB to one of those platforms when the Torch specs were released (I was unhappy with the screen resolution and lack of HD video recording). After seeking advice from Android forums and iPhone forums learned that essential business functionality like checking free/busy time for your coworkers while creating a meeting invitation is not possible on a device other than BB or win mobile. Until that can happen, BB is the only choice. there are a couple other BB only features as well that came into play.

What it comes down to is that you can, from a business perspective, do EVERYTHING on a BB that you can do with Android and iPhone, but there are some things you can do on a BB that you can't do with Android and iPhone. In other words you give up nothing productivity/business related with BB, but you do have to give up some things with the other major platforms.
    08-22-10 11:27 AM
    you mentioned the scheduling flexibility thing, which i had learned on my own researching these phones (won't be a factor to me). Can you help and tell me what else in your opinion one would be giving up, say on an Android? thanks.
    08-22-10 11:38 AM
    We also have to use MS Office Communicator as our IM tool (everything else is firewalled out) and need it running in the background all the time. Android can't run it (there is an iPhone app for it, but it can't run in the background so it's pretty much useless). Another major thing is full Exchange wireless sync. From everything I read, you can't sync outlook notes/tasks seemlessly, instantly, and wirelessly with Android (or iPhone). Finally, on the administration side, there are a bunch of security/admin features not possible with android (things like robust remote wipe, app distribution and control, etc).

There actually were a bunch of other things that were a step back (unified inbox functionality, contact sorting options, etc), but the above with calendar scheduling made it not even worth exploring further.
    08-22-10 11:48 AM
    I came from BB 9000 to Captivate. First Android phone and was impressed. When the Torch came out, I exchange in the Captivate. I was torn for a week since I missed the Captivate. As of right now, I ordered the Captivate back. Not sure if I'm going to keep both, but deff want the Captivate.

Like everyone else has said, Captivate is more for fun and is compatible for work, if needed. I use my phone for primarily emailing and texting. Torch is great for that. Captivate is decent for that, plus has all the personalizing apps to make it more fun. Battery life isnt as good on the Captivate vs Torch, but they're two entirely different devices. I'm in the habbit of charging my BB nightly (whether needed or not, just habit) so as long as the Captivate gets me through 12-15 hours of moderate useage, I'm ok with it.

Comes down to what you want the phone for - work or play?
    08-22-10 12:08 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD