you mentioned the scheduling flexibility thing, which i had learned on my own researching these phones (won't be a factor to me). Can you help and tell me what else in your opinion one would be giving up, say on an Android? thanks.
    Basically nothing.

Exchange ActiveSync (Known as EAS) does 95% of tasks and lacks very little these days.

BES still gives a very good level of control but as an end user it matters very little to you.
    08-22-10 12:14 PM
    The bigger thing was notes not tasks. Critical for meetings and avoiding the need for transcribing when back in the office. Android doesn't sync notes wirelessly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 12:18 PM
    i4 > Captivate
    BB > Captivate
    08-22-10 01:00 PM
    I agree with Savage5, although, I think with the current rate of development, in about a year, Android will surpass both i4 and BB. Android 2.2 is vastly superior to 1.6.

Then again, I don't know what RIM has in store for us with QNX integration moving forward. Hopefully they'll surprise us.
    08-22-10 02:02 PM
    the only thing that caught my eye as a concern is android not sync notes, actually i'm surprised that can't be true. I will look into it.

i wish i could figure things out as easily as savage5 has. good thread i hope it continues
    08-22-10 02:20 PM
    To Lee, saying "basically nothing" is missing from Android is simply inaccurate and is a disservice to the OP who may make an expensive decision only to find that out too late.

as an aside, by notes, to clarify, i mean the "notes" in outlook, not Lotus Notes. I don't know how Android handles Lotus Notes.

Also, Android has very few sorting options for your contacts (i.e., only by first or last name - and I think you need froyo for the option to sort by last name). Copy/paste is implemented in a very limited way. Try to copy text from a gmail email body and paste into a note to yourself. You'll realize the (1) you can't copy/paste across applications, and (2) there is no native note taking application.

Android has the foundation in place, but a lot of building is still needed before you can comfortably move in, especially if you need to rely on it for business.
    08-22-10 02:52 PM
    i found this thread by typing captivate or torch on google

My 8310 is dead and need a change, i found the torch to have what i need (a new browser that work, physical keyboard, BBM (the the killer one since a lot of friends are on it) but the captivate has what i would like : the huge app market, freedoom of custom-rom, more open
    09-16-10 06:13 PM
    android can't sync notes/tasks.. i;ve been testing a htc desire for the past 2 days and that's all i lasted..

even with swype i find i can't type as fast compared to using a real kb

lastly battery life is horrid
    09-16-10 08:09 PM
    I am always amazed despite the wealth of information/user reviews for any smartphone in the markets easily found on the internet and forums people still come in and create a thread asking for advice AAA and BBB which is better...

09-17-10 12:28 AM
    And im always amazed at people saying the Captivate is just a toy. I've never been so productive with a phone as i am with my Vibrant which is basically the same as the Captivate. If its just a toy,then its one h3ll of a toy.

09-17-10 04:34 AM
    I purchased the Captivate the week the Torch launch thinking I would like it more. That was not the case, I was very disappointed with the battery life of the captivate. Also the captivate has GPS locating issues (supposed patch coming in September). I purchased the Torch the day after release and I must say I don't regret the switch. The captivate is a great phone to "play" with, though is doesn't get stuff done like the blackberry.
    +1, i tried the captivate in the attempt to really give android a try and try something new as i was a tad bored with my 9000. traded it in for the Torch 2 days later. the screen is beautiful, the apps are fun for a week, but it doesnt do email like a BB (i am a yahoo user and trying to set that up was horrible!), it doesnt have an LED and berrybuzz is one of my diehard fave apps, i couldnt be without it, and NO FLASH???? come on....the camera on the Torch is lightyears better than the 9000. contact set up is way easier on the BB. and as far as web browsing, sure the captivate was a bit faster, but for MY OWN NEEDS, it wasnt enough to keep me on that phone. and lets not even get started on the battery life with the captivate....wtf? i was entering contacts into the phone for about an hour, and it went from full battery to 50%. why so? in checking the usage stats, the screen was sucking up the battery. can you imagine watching a movie or listening to music or reading a web page or even just trying to do multiple tasks? the screen res sure was pretty, but wasn't pretty enough to justify my phone dying after half a day.

BB does what i need it to do....and i think even if movies and games are what you want to do, the battery power just isnt there, 1ghz processer or otherwise. Torch is where it is at, at least for me.

the calendar efficiency was a dealbreaker as well. i live on the BB calendar to keep my life on track, reminders, things to do, etc. hate that android in general doesn't let you set reminders for 3, 4, 5 days, or 45min, 20min, and so on. why must i only be reminded either 1 hour before or 5 hours before (i dont think that is the correct jump, but point is there was no 2hr option which i find best fits my needs). with OS6, i know have my calendar accessible at the drop of a dime, and i use Later Dude religiously for my all important reminders! the android calendar was just a tad too basic for me...and of course, it is an android limitation, not the captivate...but just look above for all the reasons i PERSONALLY feel the Torch rocks the socks off the Captivate.
    Last edited by phenyx923; 09-18-10 at 11:19 PM. Reason: forgot the calendar...
    09-18-10 11:01 PM
    since this is posted in a Blackberry forum.. obvious answer is Torch..
    post this question again in the Android forum and my answer will be Captivate.
    it's all about Politics these days!
    09-18-10 11:06 PM
    I am always amazed despite the wealth of information/user reviews for any smartphone in the markets easily found on the internet and forums people still come in and create a thread asking for advice AAA and BBB which is better...

I'm amazed that you have nothing better to do than to post this nonsense at 1:30 in the morning.
    09-19-10 01:19 PM
    To the OP, I tried the Captivate and the i4. I chose the Torch. Admittedly, my bias is toward RIM devices having owned three prior to the Torch but I wanted to give both a try. The Captivate is a very impressive device with speed and utility of use. If the choice were between the Captivate and i4 alone, I would choose the Captivate. However, between the Torch and Captivate, I would having tested both devices would have to choose the Torch since it has a superior messaging platform that the Captivate does not have. The Torch has a slower processor and browser as well as less screen resolution but it meets my needs. It does what I need and has pretty decent battery life. You are doing the right thing in asking for feedback but nothing will replace first-hand experience.
    09-19-10 01:30 PM
    I got the Torch, sweertheart got the Captivate- when the Bold trackballs failed (again). She uses the Captivate for different stuff I use the BB for, so it works out well. My Torch crashed after a month, got a new one, but having difficulty pulling my photos off the Bold to load on the Torch. Still like the machine, though, no reason to jump ship.

09-19-10 06:28 PM
    had the captivate for a couple of weeks (rooted, Supper User, MobileAP enabled) - great device (battery life was actually pretty good - lasting me 8-10 hours of regular use), plenty of apps. Didn't feel it was slow, and the UI was actually pretty nice. Great screen (movies on it are awesome!). BUT>>> as a communication device, it was way behind my old 9000 - not as much as a Samsung fault, as a shortcoming of the Android (maybe 2.2 will fix most of the issues, but I couldn't wait for the new release to come out). I returned and exchanged for the Torch because:

1) Searching contact list is awful - can't do a full field search - only the name and first word of the company name are searchable. If you have more than a couple of hundred contacts and can't remember everyone's name or if you have more than a couple of contacts with similar or same names, you are out of luck... No company name shows up on the listing of the contacts - you have to actually see the full details to find out if it is the right number!!!

2) email - I have a personal yahoo account - noticed that sometimes it took well over 12 hours for the email to show up on my phone! Being used to getting push email, 12 hours is an eternity!!
    09-19-10 10:15 PM
    I apologize if I'm sounding too straight forward but what is the REAL review of this phone?
    The one you do yourself...

This is a BLACKBERRY Fourm an more then likely you'll only get options pointing towards a Blackberry. To get a better idea of which device would be better for you you need to do some research - google the h@ll out of both phones and take a trip to an AT&T store to take both for a test drive.
    Last edited by lucky45; 09-19-10 at 10:43 PM.
    09-19-10 10:37 PM
    If you're on the internet a lot, FroYo will destroy the webkit browser
    09-19-10 10:50 PM
    the calendar efficiency was a dealbreaker as well. i live on the BB calendar to keep my life on track, reminders, things to do, etc. hate that android in general doesn't let you set reminders for 3, 4, 5 days, or 45min, 20min, and so on. why must i only be reminded either 1 hour before or 5 hours before (i dont think that is the correct jump, but point is there was no 2hr option which i find best fits my needs). with OS6, i know have my calendar accessible at the drop of a dime, and i use Later Dude religiously for my all important reminders! the android calendar was just a tad too basic for me...and of course, it is an android limitation, not the captivate...but just look above for all the reasons i PERSONALLY feel the Torch rocks the socks off the Captivate.
    That is incorrect, I have not tried the Captivate's calendar but I have the X10 and the alarm settings run in various increment from none to 1 week, including 2 hours, 45 minutes etc. So it is very definitely not an Android limitation.

09-20-10 06:21 AM
    I was torn between the two as well.

09-24-10 11:57 AM
    youre right, i just checked again on my "old" backflip lol. it may not have been the reminders per se, but the calendar just wasnt up to par for me. i'll keep my mouth shut now on the specifics lol!
    09-24-10 02:10 PM
    Is it true that the Captivate doesn't have any email, missed call or text notifications? I thought you could get aftermarket tools for that e.g. noLED or Maildroid?
    10-04-10 12:02 AM
    Is it true that the Captivate doesn't have any email, missed call or text notifications? I thought you could get aftermarket tools for that e.g. noLED or Maildroid?
    The Captivate does not have the hardware for it i.E , there is no light. There are some apps being developed to blink the screen itself but ofcourse that is not the same.

10-04-10 06:07 AM
    lol.......I had the Captivate three different times and returned it. Samsung promissed a gps fix and never came through. I gave up on the Captivate! It is garbage. It has a wonderful screen but it falls short in alot of other areas. It is not even the top five android phone on the market. Verizon has got it on lockdown. I asked three different AT&T reps and they said that they sell alot of Captivates but it's the most returned phone. After my 5th phone I finally got the torch. It is much better imo....Good luck with that captivate! Trust me i have tested all the phones with AT&T. The backflip (garbage!), sony Exsperian x10(horrible!), captivate(would have been good if gps worked!), HTC aria(ok.....no sound through speakers if you want to play music). That's all they have in android phones.
    10-04-10 07:14 AM
    The video quality could have been better for the torch imo.......but it is a good phone overall. The captivate was good as well but being the gps has been broken the entire time I had the phone it gets a thumbs down! Why push a phone to the public when it doesn't operate correctly? Very poor on Samsungs part to do this. Was promissed a fix on September 22 but come to find out the fix did not include gps. LOL......I was really hoping they would fix it and now I really don't think they will anytime soon! All you captivate owners get excited when they say a update is coming but you surely are disappointed when your precious phone still doesn't work 100% Please don't try to defend it! I did my research on the captivate and know that many problems exist.
    10-04-10 07:23 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD