I have an unlocked torch and need guidance on connecting it to verizons blackberry service. I receive texts and calls fine. But Verizon uses just firstnamelastname to log in. Everyone else uses an email. Could someone please help! I don't want to get rid of my torch. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-10 05:00 AM
    Verizon uses CDMA/EVDO the torch is a GSM phone it will never work on Verizon's network. They use different technologies. Sorry about your luck.

12-23-10 05:40 AM
    I have an unlocked torch and need guidance on connecting it to verizons blackberry service. I receive texts and calls fine. But Verizon uses just firstnamelastname to log in. Everyone else uses an email. Could someone please help! I don't want to get rid of my torch. Thanks

As Optyx said, Verizon is CDMA, whereas the Torch is GSM, and the two are completely incompatible with each other unfortunately, even if you try a Verizon SIM card out of a device like the 9650/9630, that won't work as it's a Vodafone international roaming sim, not a Verizon sim.
    12-23-10 05:42 AM
    Im using it now....i get my calls and texts. just not able to get blackberry service. would i contact at&t for help?

12-23-10 06:11 AM
    As stated Verizon is CDMA, the torch is a GSM phone, you may be able to make calls and text but you will never be able to get a BIS connection on your phone(use data). Calling AT&T wont solve anything since more then likely they wont even talk to you since your not an AT&T customer. Your best bet is to call Verizon, where more then likely they will tell you the same thing we all have said.

Sorry but your just SOL.
    12-23-10 07:36 AM
    Im using it now....i get my calls and texts. just not able to get blackberry service. would i contact at&t for help?

the only way to enjoy the Full capability of the Torch is to use it with AT&T.
    lif you don't want AT&T, T-mobile is the lesser of 2 evils comparing it to Verizon..
    you will be able to use EDGE with T-mobile but not 3G.. ( so you can surf the net etc.)
    12-23-10 08:04 AM

That's impossable. The Torch is strictly a GSM device, there is no possible way that it can be activated on Verizon's CDMA network.

If you contact AT&T, I'm sure they'll ask you when you'd like to open service so you can use your Torch... if you really have one.
    12-23-10 08:59 AM

I'll mostly agree with everyone else here. But I'll ask a couple of questions.

1) If you open it & take the battery out, is there a sim card in there? If so, the printing will tell you which network you're really on. Because a GSM phone will not ever work on a CDMA network. Different technologies.

2) Is this, perhaps, an early test version of the CDMA Torch that's rumored to hit Verizon in March? If so, you'll need to talk to whoever you got it from or Verizon. A CDMA Torch is not a well used piece of hardware that we all have answers for.
    12-23-10 09:21 AM
    I never said it was cdma, I asked a simple question. I have a Sim card in the phone because I'm not in the USA. So I would appreciate it if u can't answer my question, keep the ******* comments to youself and thanks.

12-23-10 10:11 AM
    The last post really confused me... Ok, what carrier's sim do you have in the Torch? Do you have a foreign carrier's sim in the phone and want to connect to your Verizon BIS account? Does the foreign sim have data access?

12-23-10 10:20 AM
    I don't think anyone on here was being rude in any way. I think everyone is trying to figure out the details on what kind of phone you have and stating the obvious things that come to mind like I can't use a GSM phone on CDMA.
    12-23-10 10:21 AM

I never said it was cdma, I asked a simple question. I have a Sim card in the phone because I'm not in the USA. So I would appreciate it if u can't answer my question, keep the ******* comments to youself and thanks.

so, you are not in the usa and you want to connect to a usa service provider? "wikileaks task force" is going on?
    12-23-10 10:24 AM

With a comment like this, I personally think he can go **** himself and figure it out on his own.

We stated the obvious with the information you provided, if that's not good enough for you then call Verizon.

Don't you just love the people that come here asking for help and when you state the obvious and its not an answer they want were all in fault and get called names and to leave our comments to ourselves. Been a lot of this recently. Bunch of ungrateful a**holes.

And people wonder whats happening to the world, everyone forgot the basics on being polite.

Flame and/or reprimand me if I'm in the wrong here, but this is how I feel as of late.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-23-10 at 10:43 AM.
    12-23-10 10:39 AM

The answer, based on your original question, is you cannot connect to Verizon no matter what you do. I'm sorry you do not like honest answers. Many people have already answered so I really do not understand your hostility.

You could connect to T-Mobile since it uses the same technology as AT&T but you will never connect to Verizon.
    12-23-10 12:45 PM
    Even if you connect to TMO, you only get 2G. If there is a carrier like Orange or O2, which I believe are GSM, then an unlocked one might work. Not many countries use CDMA so you have no choice but to change to a GSM carrier. If you are unable to browse the internet, you have only a phone without the functionality of a smartphone.
    12-23-10 05:03 PM
    I always find it strange when people get on here and DEMAND help. This is not a paid help-line. You are fortunate to have access to individuals who are willing to take the time to share their expertise. There is a certain etiquette practiced here. No one is "required" to solve your problems.
    12-23-10 10:57 PM
    I love it how some people get so angry when they don't get the answer they want.

To the OP: If you're making and receiving both calls and texts, your ona GSM service of some type. Look at your homescreen. I guarantee that you are not using Verizon, as they are a CDMA carrier and the Torch has no CDMA radio. Also, whatever carrier you are on won't let you log into their BB service if you aren't a subscriber.

12-23-10 11:23 PM
    Like other people have stated you cannot use Verizon because they are CDMA not GSM. You should get an unlocked Bold 9650
    12-23-10 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD