Hello all,

I have a new torch. upon switching devices using DM, i realized I couldn't find my bb icon. I downloaded a new version from blackberry but still couldn't find the icon. I went into app manager and saw two different versions of BBM. I deleted one and tried to delete the other to do a fresh install, I cannot delete the other version! I've wiped all data of the phone, still no joy with the icon and I still cant delete.

Ideas anyone?
    11-21-10 03:59 PM
    Click the menu key and select "show all", then look around and you'll probably find it, and if you do then press the menu key and select "hide". If this doesn't work, then go to the app world and download BBM from there.
    11-21-10 07:00 PM
    BBM is native to the torch and cannot be deleted like on previous devices. As Jean-luc stated it is probably just hidden. or in your applications folder and hidden also.
    kizasoze likes this.
    11-21-10 07:08 PM
    this is a known issue. to clear the issue, do a full security wipe. after recovery send service books, sync and configure bbm. if bbm restoration fails, do a selective restore of only bbm data from a known good backup. rebuild your device app wise from there.

i had this iisue once myself and this is what i did...
    Last edited by shansmi; 11-21-10 at 08:34 PM.
    kizasoze likes this.
    11-21-10 08:29 PM
    Click the menu key and select "show all", then look around and you'll probably find it, and if you do then press the menu key and select "hide". If this doesn't work, then go to the app world and download BBM from there.
    Captain Picard, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I did all that already. Clicked show all, barely had anything hidden as its a new blackberry, no joy there. Perhaps Geordi can suggest a workaround? I appreciate the help
    11-22-10 06:54 PM
    Captain Picard, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I did all that already. Clicked show all, barely had anything hidden as its a new blackberry, no joy there. Perhaps Geordi can suggest a workaround? I appreciate the help
    Got a laugh out of me with the "Geordi" comment!

BBM would typically be found either in the All section or in the Instant Messaging folder.

One sure-fire way to see if a functional BBM is on your device: hold down MENU to open the App Switcher. If BBM is present and functioning it will always be shown here. Is the BBM icon in the App Switcher?

Also I'm curious, have you tried re-downloading BBM since deleting the duplicate? (I'm going to guess you haven't.)
    If the duplicate is gone but you still can't find BBM anywhere, go to App World and download BBM again. It should replace your current version with the exact same version number, but that will switch BBM's status in your app list from "Required" to "Optional."
    You would be prompted to reboot after the download, since BBM was replacing itself. After reboot, check to see if you can see BBM now. If not, you should be able to delete it from your App Management list. You'll have to restart again. Re-download BBM again and should be properly present and functional.

This was my experience anyhow. A hassle? Uh-huh. But it worked for me. And I'm always up for a hassle...
    kizasoze likes this.
    11-22-10 07:56 PM
    Elite1, You were right, I hadn't downloaded it again after deleting the duplicate version. Thanks a lot. It works now.
    11-27-10 05:43 AM
    Elite1, You were right, I hadn't downloaded it again after deleting the duplicate version. Thanks a lot. It works now.
    Whoops, I missed your reply...

That's great to hear, and you're welcome a lot.
    11-29-10 06:26 PM
    BBM is native to the torch and cannot be deleted like on previous devices. As Jean-luc stated it is probably just hidden. or in your applications folder and hidden also.
    I haven't tried personally with BB6 (I like BBM!), but in the more recent versions of OS5 where BBM was listed as a Core App (same as Required with BB6), you could still delete it by re-downloading it. Go to App World and download BBM. It will ask if you want to replace version 5.0.1.41 with 5.0.1.41 (same version number). Select Yes (or whatever the affirmative choice is) and it will over-write itself with the identical app with only 1 difference: that it is now an Add-On (OS5) / Optional (BB6) app and therefore deletable.
    Again I haven't confirmed this is still how it works with BB6, but my guess is it would.

PS Of course, you can always just pull out all the cod's and *poof* bye-bye BBM...

PPS Why don't some of you guys want BBM? Haven't you seen the TV commercials?!?
    11-29-10 06:35 PM
    LOL! What is BBM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 09:14 PM
    LOL! What is BBM?
    It lets you take pictures of low-profile cars or haircuts, plus you can surf!

It's wicked-cool!
    11-29-10 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD