I just recieved my torch today and I'm super happy with it! I had to get an unlocked version because I'm on TMobile. BUT I can't use Windows Live Messenger!!!! That was pretty much the only thing I used my BB Curve before I sold it for this phone!!
    I read a bunch of forums talking about service books and what not, but I couldn't understand the instructions at ALL!! plus, none of them were referring to the torch, so can someone please help me?!?!?! It just says "service not enabled for this handheld" ....
    my browser works just fine, and everything else seems to work great too. I only use MSN so I haven't tried the other IM accounts but I'm sure the same thing would happen (because of what I've been reading on other threads). PLEASE HELP!!! this phone costs $600...it'd be a bummer if I couldn't use MSN correctly...I have a Macbook too (incase that makes any difference with the instructions on service books or desktop manager or anything).
    11-28-10 01:47 AM
    I dont get it. Do you have wlm installed on your bb? And if u do, what error message do u get when u try to login?
    11-28-10 06:01 AM
    Windows messenger comes preinstalled on the torch. If you had read the post it states the problem.

I read a bunch of forums talking about service books and what not, but I couldn't understand the instructions at ALL!! plus, none of them were referring to the torch, so can someone please help me?!?!?! It just says "service not enabled for this handheld" ....
    As for the solution... Other then uninstalling then reinstalling it, I honestly have no idea. My messenger works just fine.

Do you have BIS connectivity(the 4 little dots next to your wifi or services icons)?
    11-28-10 06:08 AM
    Sorry didnt read that. Do other msn clients work for u?
    11-28-10 06:40 AM
    Other msn clients?
    11-28-10 07:16 AM
    Other msn clients?
    Beejive, trillian, implus. That kinda programs.
    11-28-10 07:32 AM
    I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it, but the same thing is happening. I'm not sure what you mean by other msn clients...if you mean like yahoo messenger or something, no i havent tried it but i dont think it would work from what I've read on other forums. If you mean an online messenger program, i tried Meebo.com and that worked. But i still can't get windows live messenger working..
    11-28-10 01:59 PM
    Do you have a BlackBerry data plan (BIS)? You cannot use the native MSN app from RIM without one. Generic data plans do not work.
    11-28-10 02:02 PM
    U should have bb service 1st then ur messenger will work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 03:01 PM
    U should have bb service 1st then ur messenger will work

I'm assuming the OP does have a BB plan, as they did mention it working on the Curve they had previously.

11-28-10 11:31 PM
    I'm assuming the OP does have a BB plan, as they did mention it working on the Curve they had previously.

Yes, i do have a BB plan because of my previous BB, the curve. I think it has something to do with it being an unlocked device..i read on a lot of forums that i needed something called service books and to install them on my phone and that it would work. but im not sure how to do that or what it even is.
    11-30-10 02:32 PM
    How about go ahead and delete every single service book. Then try to reload them again. You should be able to reload them by going to your provider's BIS page (place where you set your e-mail etc), and "Send Service Books"

Otherwise, you might want to read this article in how to backup your service books from your curve and reload it to your Torch.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/un...ctions-513408/

- Charles
    11-30-10 08:31 PM
    sorry I haven't answered back in so long, I went on vacation to Mexico ...anyway, while over there I took the phone to get checked out. They said it was probably a hardware problem they weren't sure but they didn't want to open it up because they said it was a really expensive phone and they're positive it's a hardware problem, and since I was leaving soon, they said to take it somewhere in the US to get fixed. So...new question, will TMobile take a look at it even though they don't carry the phone? If not, where else can I take it?
    01-10-11 02:52 PM
    Sounds like a provisioning error. Call the provider and have them check their provisioning and confirm it on the RIM network. They have tools for this.
    01-10-11 04:46 PM
    I just recieved my torch today and I'm super happy with it! I had to get an unlocked version because I'm on TMobile. BUT I can't use Windows Live Messenger!!!! That was pretty much the only thing I used my BB Curve before I sold it for this phone!!
    my browser works just fine, and everything else seems to work great too. I only use MSN so I haven't tried the other IM accounts but I'm sure the same thing would happen (because of what I've been reading on other threads). PLEASE HELP!!! this phone costs $600...it'd be a bummer if I couldn't use MSN correctly...I have a Macbook too (incase that makes any difference with the instructions on service books or desktop manager or anything).
    TMobile does not support BB Torch 9800, therefore, they could not provide the service book to allow your Torch 9800 to work on Tmobile network with Windows Live, also AIM.

Other fellows said their Windows Live or MSN is working is that they are on AT&T network which is the sole operator support the BB Torch 9800.

Myself did run into the same problem you had because I am also on TMobile and I did managed to have my Torch 9800 working with Windows Live, MSN and AIM.

What you need to do is that to load your old service book from your old Curve which also consisting of UMA calling.

Following below link for full instruction on how to make it work:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/un...8/index29.html
    01-10-11 06:58 PM
    TMobile does not support BB Torch 9800, therefore, they could not provide the service book to allow your Torch 9800 to work on Tmobile network with Windows Live, also AIM.

Other fellows said their Windows Live or MSN is working is that they are on AT&T network which is the sole operator support the BB Torch 9800.

Myself did run into the same problem you had because I am also on TMobile and I did managed to have my Torch 9800 working with Windows Live, MSN and AIM.

What you need to do is that to load your old service book from your old Curve which also consisting of UMA calling.

Following below link for full instruction on how to make it work:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/un...8/index29.html

I'm not sure what instructions you're talking about. I went to the link and it's just a forum..I don't really understand much about service books and i already sold my curve and there's no way i could get it back. could you explain this more to me please? right now im using ebuddy and it takes FOREVER. i really miss using windows live msn on my phone
    01-18-11 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD