i just got the torch for my wife. she has had Only 1 bar and sometimes NO signal at her work. her 3g is off. can that cause a bad signal? i do beleive it is a 3g tower right where she works...is that is so, would this cause her issue?

we shut it off to conserve battery life
    02-01-11 03:15 PM
    Yes, that will certainly cause a poor signal. If there's a 3G tower nearby, it won't rob her of any battery life. As a matter of fact, the low signal strength she is now experiencing will drain the battery faster, as the phone will constantly be searching for a better signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 03:26 PM
    yeah, when she had her curve last year she had no issues, BUT, i think i had 3g on..not sure. we are going to try it tommorrow..
    02-01-11 04:03 PM
    A few times I've noticed that only a 3g signal is available. If I selected 2g only, I would lose service. This is rare, and I've only noticed it in tough locations (below ground) but I suppose there may be more typical places with better 3g coverage.
    02-01-11 04:23 PM
    The location of a 3G tower shouldn't have any effect on your phone if your 3G is disabled. The only thing you have to worry about then is your EDGE reception. Nonetheless, poor reception on either network may cause a decrease in battery life, as your phone would constantly be checking for a more suitable tower to connect to.

In your wife's case, if there's a 3G tower close by, she's probably better off just leaving 3G on.
    02-01-11 04:30 PM
    Use the 3G. You will see the same or better battery life and have great reception. The GSM configuration BlackBerry uses is not like the iPhone at all. Turning it off is actually sub-optimal.

X

02-02-11 12:39 AM
    Use the 3G. You will see the same or better battery life and have great reception. The GSM configuration BlackBerry uses is not like the iPhone at all. Turning it off is actually sub-optimal.

X

I completely disagree with this. Turning off 3g has proven to almost double battery life. There are multiple threads agreeing with this concept. To the original poster: have her try changing to 3g, but most towers that do 3g are also backwards compatible with 2g/edge. So if she can get 3g, she should be fine on 2g also.
    02-02-11 04:33 AM
    I completely disagree with this. Turning off 3g has proven to almost double battery life. There are multiple threads agreeing with this concept. To the original poster: have her try changing to 3g, but most towers that do 3g are also backwards compatible with 2g/edge. So if she can get 3g, she should be fine on 2g also.
    yeah, she sees no diffrence in signal. before she had the curve and had a fine signal. i wonder if it has anything to do with the new Leaked OS i put on her torch?i wonder if i installed a diff OS it would make for a better signal?
    02-02-11 07:51 AM
    The only thing I could think between OS versions is if the signal level bars are tweaked or something. Like in the old version full bars = xxx signal level, and now in this version full bars equal yyyy signal level. You can try rolling it back. Does she have problems actually making/receiving calls? Or do the bars just show less signal?
    02-02-11 11:56 AM
    To clarify, most but not all 3G towers are 2G as well. If the closest tower is not, then the GSM module must work significantly harder to achieve connection, thereby using more power than if 3G is turned on.

Further, The technology of your Blackberry differs from an iPhone. When a BB has 3G enabled, it uses the signal(s) in a more intelligent manner (this due to signal pairing and oscillation tweaks). This allows the BB to use less power than iPhone (or others for that matter - not picking on apple). So the only reason or way you would double battery life using 2G only would be if you lived in an area with a significant amount of legacy towers and you used very little data services on your device.

Where 3G presents as being a battery killer is when you have 3G only selected in area with sparse 3G tower coverage - then the same concept applies, the BB has to work harder to maintain the signal. To this point, sparse 3G is quite common still except in certain areas. This sparse coverage creates the illusion that 3G is harder on your battery. If you can, selecting 3G & 2G is the optimal setting. Your BB uses this setting to its advantage.

To the OP - Is it only in this certain area that you receive poor signal or all the time? Is the signal poor on 2G and 3G or just 2G?

If it is poor all time, regardless of 2G or 3G then you have a module issue and the phone should be replaced. If it is only in certain areas and only on 2G then I think you know how to fix it. You may not get quite as good battery life but at least the phone is usable. Hope this helps.

X
    02-05-11 12:12 AM
    Different OSes use different radio files, which can affect reception.
    02-05-11 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD