I recently lost my torch, which i paid full price for and later unlocked it to use with my service provider. So I fight with the phone insurance people to send me a phone, any phone and I get a BB bold. Its not bad but its not my torch. So i check my voicemails when I get my new phone a one of the messages is "I found this phone outside a near by bank, so i turned it into the bank reps". Who does that!!!! So i go to the bank and ask around and no one has any idea what I'm talking about.... Of course! I would like to know if anyone knows of a legit way to trace/track a phone using its IMEI.
    05-14-11 11:37 AM
    You cannot track a device by the imei... Perhaps law enforcement can, but its doubtful... Call back the person who left the voicemail. Did you file a police report when it was lost, or let your carrier know? Ythey would be able to somewhat block it from being activated...

I would suggest installing blackberry protect on your new device...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 11:50 AM
    I would imagine the right person could track by the PIN, could they not? Or a mac address (I assume it has one as it can connect to a wireless network).

There has to be ways to track a phone these days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 11:56 AM
    Let your carrier know they might be able to, doubtful. Blackberry Protect also works to help track your phone. Good luck getting it back. I had my Curve stolen and lost my Bold. I never got my Bold back. I feel your pain.
    05-14-11 01:50 PM
    Your Network should be able to give you some idea where the phone is by which cell mast etc its using,and using three masts they can be more accurate.
    The police in the UK use that to find missing persons and for offences by people so they can tell where they have been i heard.What about using Google maps or similar on BB app world but that only works with the cell number.
    05-14-11 02:01 PM
    best thing to do is to call your provider. they will be able to assist you better than we can. they can see if your phone was activated on another account and is being used. file a police report for your lost/stolen phone. bring a copy of the reciept and or the IMEI and PIN for the phone. that way, if it is being used by someone else, your carrier can possibly suspend their account once they have a copy of your police report.
    05-15-11 12:03 AM
    If you had Smrtgurad on your phone, you WOULD be able to track it, and WIPE it if necessary.
    05-15-11 08:27 AM
    police and phone networks definitely can, if a phone is stolen in uk the device is remotetly cut off by the network by tracing the imei
    05-16-11 04:57 AM
    Well it was mentioned that he purchased the full at full retail price and was 'unlocked' to use it under the carrier he currently has....

Since that's the case I believe his current carrier can't really do anything, but then again who knows... everything can be tracked these days
    05-17-11 12:17 AM
    These folks can help you track your lost or stolen Iphone if you still have IMEI: https://www.facebook.com/Iphonetrace or iPhonetrace.com: Track iphone by imei
    02-13-14 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD