Hey guys, haven't been on the forums in awhile, have had some personal issues to attend to. My apologies in advance if this has been posted before. The reviews seem mixed on the Torch IMO....I trust the actual crackberry members and actual torch users. My situation: I have had blackberry's for almost 5 years now, recently dropped my bold9000 from arms length and the screen comp went on the device. I am eligible for an upgrade and am using a samsung blackjackII (absolutely cannot stand this device). I am getting a blackberry from work (new bold on verizon) but am eligible on AT&T for my personal phone.

My question: I'm not loving strictly touchscreen and don't want to leave blackberry for an iphone just yet...so Torch users, is the Torch usable, how are you liking the new OS? Is the keyboard as nice as we're accustomed to. What have been your biggest pros/cons? I'd appreciate anyone who takes the time to inform me. I'm going to be using for many of the same reasons you all do, e-mail, internet, bbm, and taking pictures from time to time. Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks all, glad to be back on the forums a bit now that everything is all set.
    09-06-10 01:03 PM
    Hia!

I use the device a lot and like it a lot.

For me, the experience could be better but I expect it to improve with updates to the OS. My main issue with it is the lag sometimes. Other than that, I've had no hardware issues or anything of that nature (minus my q-button not being very sensitive but AT&T gave me a new one).

I like the keyboard, but liked the one on my 9000 better. It just seemed more natural to me. The touch keyboards are pretty nice as well, but I'm a big guy (6'2) with big hands and I frequently miss the key.

The browser works very well, however I do experience some difficulty in trying to find non-mobile versions. Facebook is my main complaint, I'm not able to get the full website I'd see on my computer screen.

Email factors into the browser a lot, and works very well. You can read full HTML email without a problem. However, I still can't figure out how to make my signature HTML. But email is an excellent experience. BBM is still awesome as well.

The sleep button on top is very very sensitive. Slipping it into my short's pocket will often turn it back on and then bumping against my leg will open up random screens, etc. However you can work around that by using a password.

Overall? I like the device, but do sometimes miss the quickness and simple efficiency of my 9000.

Would I go back though?

I really like the upgrades the 9800 offers compared to the 9000. Better camera, autofocus, much better web browsing, and touch screen. So, I see myself sticking with the 9800.
    09-06-10 01:20 PM
    No one can tell you what you will like or dislike about the Torch. My suggestion would be to stop by AT&T and play with one for awhile, that would answer some of your questions. Coming from the 9000 myself, I really like the Torch. The multiple inputs and touchscreen are very nice upgrades. I do miss the 9000 keyboard but have gotten used to the torch's. The only other "con" I can say is the speakers are not as nice. So in summation, I would go take one for a test drive, if it feels nice to you I can offer no reason not to get it.
    09-06-10 01:32 PM
    I think Najo hit the nail on the head - the best thing you can do is go and try one out for yourself. I mean you do have the thirty days to make sure it's a good fit for you. I am digging the phone and I moved from a 9700. I do still use the 9700 from time to time, but as time goes on, the 9800 will be the only one I will use.

Best of luck!
    09-06-10 01:39 PM
    thanks guys, just wanted an idea of your pros and cons from using so far!
    09-06-10 08:06 PM
    Hia!

I use the device a lot and like it a lot.

For me, the experience could be better but I expect it to improve with updates to the OS. My main issue with it is the lag sometimes. Other than that, I've had no hardware issues or anything of that nature (minus my q-button not being very sensitive but AT&T gave me a new one).

I like the keyboard, but liked the one on my 9000 better. It just seemed more natural to me. The touch keyboards are pretty nice as well, but I'm a big guy (6'2) with big hands and I frequently miss the key.

The browser works very well, however I do experience some difficulty in trying to find non-mobile versions. Facebook is my main complaint, I'm not able to get the full website I'd see on my computer screen.

Email factors into the browser a lot, and works very well. You can read full HTML email without a problem. However, I still can't figure out how to make my signature HTML. But email is an excellent experience. BBM is still awesome as well.

The sleep button on top is very very sensitive. Slipping it into my short's pocket will often turn it back on and then bumping against my leg will open up random screens, etc. However you can work around that by using a password.

Overall? I like the device, but do sometimes miss the quickness and simple efficiency of my 9000.

Would I go back though?

I really like the upgrades the 9800 offers compared to the 9000. Better camera, autofocus, much better web browsing, and touch screen. So, I see myself sticking with the 9800.
    The lag is gone on the latest O/S (.214)
    09-06-10 08:19 PM
    Just thought I'd also confirm there is a lot less lag in the new OS .214. Things are smoother. I'm sure if this was the OS that came with the Torch on release date the reviews would have been much much better.
    09-06-10 08:57 PM
    I love my torch, my only complaint is I have issues syncing with outlook. Another issue I have is I can;t put it down, I was at the beach this past holiday weekend and instead of swimming I sat there fiddling with it,...seriously though you won't know untill you try it.
    Kevin
    09-06-10 09:12 PM
    Hey guys, haven't been on the forums in awhile, have had some personal issues to attend to. My apologies in advance if this has been posted before. The reviews seem mixed on the Torch IMO....I trust the actual crackberry members and actual torch users. My situation: I have had blackberry's for almost 5 years now, recently dropped my bold9000 from arms length and the screen comp went on the device. I am eligible for an upgrade and am using a samsung blackjackII (absolutely cannot stand this device). I am getting a blackberry from work (new bold on verizon) but am eligible on AT&T for my personal phone.

My question: I'm not loving strictly touchscreen and don't want to leave blackberry for an iphone just yet...so Torch users, is the Torch usable, how are you liking the new OS? Is the keyboard as nice as we're accustomed to. What have been your biggest pros/cons? I'd appreciate anyone who takes the time to inform me. I'm going to be using for many of the same reasons you all do, e-mail, internet, bbm, and taking pictures from time to time. Any input/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks all, glad to be back on the forums a bit now that everything is all set.
    First question, is the Torch usable? Yes, this device does it all! There is no doubt that this is the best BlackBerry ever made. It has a great touch screen and an amazing keyboard. The UI is definitley improved and more fluid.

To give some background on me! I use the Torch and Verizon Bold at the same time. One is personal the other is work. The Bold was such an amazing phone until I got the Torch, now it just seems old and outdated.

The Torch will make you happy, trust me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 09:52 PM
    I think I'm gonna give it a shot!
    09-06-10 10:26 PM
    I think I'm gonna give it a shot!
    Great, let us know if we led you astray!
    09-07-10 05:03 AM
    i upgraded my bold 9700 to the torch and i absolutely loev it ...for me the best addition is by far os6 ...a lil laggy but so easy to use oh **** it even looks better when you browse thru your phone ...i hate touch screen phones but i ve seen myself increase the usage of the touch function ..its very helpfull ...also i like the keyboard not a major difference from my 9700...now phone is a little laggy and hopefully there is an official os upgrade (dont wanna use an unnoficial release of os i had a bad experience ) that would adress that ... also the web browser is awesome but sometimes it lags a little also ...at its worst day the browser its 10 better than the previous bb browsers ...i love this phone so much i havent picked up my htc d2 since the 3rd day i had the torch and for me that a big step...i hope you give it an honest try ...i absolutely love the phone
    09-07-10 05:36 AM
    Upgrade the OS to the .214 version. It will be a 100% improvement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 08:00 AM
    I don't know what version OS I have. My lag went away when I removed some programs I would never use. Then you have some 3rd party memory boosters and task cleaners that also resolve that issue. I went from a 8900 Curve to the Torch and couldn't have made a better move.As for the touchscreen, I rarely use it but the option is there if I choose to.
    09-07-10 08:04 AM
    I will admit. The Torch is really neat phone. It does so much. Go ahead and get one.
    09-15-10 09:57 AM
    Let me start by saying that my job requires me to carry a blackberry...it has to be a blackberry because nobody else has quite got the encryption right yet, but they are getting closer. Second, I don't want to carry two phones.

I've had every model of berry and by FAR the torch is my favorite. It took some adjustment, but now that I am used to it, I'm actually faster on it than any previous model. I really think it's a great phone. If it's a blackberry you want, I highly recommend the torch.
    09-15-10 10:30 AM
    I'm very glad to hear some of the responses coming out here. I currently have a samsung captivate and am about to receive my 3rd replacement. i have the option at this point of getting a different device and have really been considering the torch. i was using my old 9700 for a bit, but was having a really hard time adjusting to the screen size. going from an iphone 3gs to a 4 inch captivate back to the 9700 can give you fits! LOL but the new torch has a larger screen and that brings me comfort! i'm just so torn. i have a great screen right now and HD video. but with the BB i get push on everything and thats really awesome. i'm going to have to go play with one at the store again and see what happens.
    09-15-10 12:59 PM
    I and my wife own the Torch and we love them. I like it the best of all of the BB's that I have owned. I nor my wife have had no issues with the Torch and it works great. Good reception, love OS6. I use mine for my business and I heard 1300 customers around with it. Best BB yet. IMHO
    09-15-10 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD