Are there any problems with buying a Torch from eBay? They are so much cheaper than buying them new from the store.

Some are listed as "Brand New, Unlocked and never been used on a carrier - Direct from RIM"

Others are listed as "ALmost new, Used 1 month, Unlocked".

Do RIM block access to their system if the phone has been used on their system before?

Any advice welcome - I dont want to buy an iPod brick.
    02-07-11 03:23 AM
    I bought mine 'brand new,unlock' from e bay 5 months ago. The seller is from US while I'm from Singapore. I did not bid but bought it straight away as the price was good. So far very happy with my purchase. Please see your seller ratings first, anything below 98% is no good for me. To play safe, the best bet will be brand new to minimise the risk of getting a defective device. You can buy the unlock code on e bay, the instructions on how to do the process is readily available from the seller. And yes, definitely cheaper from the normal retail price. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.co
    Last edited by biznezring; 02-07-11 at 06:31 AM.
    02-07-11 03:46 AM
    Can't speak directly to every BlackBerry available on eBay, but in general, for electronics especially, only buy electronics from a seller inside you own country. It's much easier for sellers to hide behind international walls. Don't be afraid to ask a specific question to the seller and then don't be afraid to pass on a bid if your not sure. Also, only buy from sellers who offer eBay buyer protection. If the seller says it will work it doesn't, then eBay will step in. If you didn't get the assurance, then eBay may say "buyer beware."
    02-07-11 03:55 AM
    On my fifth BB off ebay and can't complain. Recently got a brand new 9800 tied to Orange as I'm an Orange user. Everything still sealed in the box. And over 120 cheaper than O2 / Carphone Warehouse were selling them on PAYG. Just take your time, watch a few beforehand and a bargain will come your way.

To many people have crazy Buy It Now prices or buyers get carried away and bid crazy money. So I ignore those, choose UK only and don't bother with over inflated prices for unlocked ones.

J.
    02-07-11 07:14 AM
    I've personally sold a good one on ebay... The buyer got a good price too... Then I missed it and bought another.... But now I'm contemplating selling this one too with the new dual cores comin out soon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 08:13 AM
    I agree with Biznezring. Watch the feedback rating. I won't bid if the feedback rating isnt in the high 90s. Also, watch out for the ones that have 100% feedback but only have a very low number transactions. Also, don't be afraid to contact the seller and ask if it has any water damage!
    02-08-11 09:18 AM
    i will NEVER buy buy from someone with less than 99% rating and at least 100 transactions. good rule of thumb, i think.
    02-08-11 09:44 AM
    Ebay is def a safe place to buy always use payapl to pay as well for extra security since they backup ebay purchases.

02-08-11 11:12 AM
    your purchase is insured as long as you pay using the Ebay website..
    Don't do western union.. direct money transfer etc.
    and ask questions to the seller, check their feedback numbers and read the feedback as well.
    i purchased and sold a lot of electronics through ebay..
    never encountered a problem.
    Be careful still!
    02-08-11 11:19 AM
    I just sold a blackberry torch today. Well received the money this morning hoping to get it shipped before the day ends.. Whoever gets my white torch should be happy with their purchase

02-08-11 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD