You know those buttons call, menu, escape and end call?
    Well they were so squeaky I decided to fix them with super glue and it has gone horribly wrong. I feel like a complete fool. The red end call button has stopped working and the whole plastic part is ruined. After removing and placing and so forth it is all scratched and stuff.
    I dont care about the plastic but the button part does not work and I dont know what to do.
    Anyone know where I can buy a replacement body or that part?
    I know TELUS wont take it back so I wont even bother with them.
    Does RIM do repairs for $$$?

Any ideas? Feel free to call me anything you want.
    I'll start with moron...
    10-13-10 02:34 PM
    Sh!t happens. I dropped my Torch on day 6 and now it's got a ding (which I covered up). I'm not willing to open it up and void my warranty in order to replace the bezel, but I know there are aftermarket parts out there and videos showing you how to take it apart and reassemble it.

9800 - - Cellular Accessories - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry,

I've used them several times before and had great success with their products and shipping (which is from Hong Kong so it will take a little bit).

Good luck
    10-13-10 02:41 PM
    that is cool info
    thanks
    Are you a moron? Or just really stupid?

As for aftermarket, if you've watched videos and know how to open it up,

sw-box . com (Cheaper than CNN)

is your best choice. Otherwise, I think even Telus might do repairs.

Edit: sw-box doesn't seem to have a good enough stock yet.

truesupplier . com is just as cheap as sw, cheaper than cnn.
    Last edited by Alkajak; 10-13-10 at 02:54 PM.
    10-13-10 02:51 PM
    Are you a moron? Or just really stupid?

As for aftermarket, if you've watched videos and know how to open it up,

sw-box . com (Cheaper than CNN)

is your best choice. Otherwise, I think even Telus might do repairs.
    I don't think you need to resort to name-calling. You may not agree with what he/she said, but as the saying goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
    10-13-10 02:55 PM
    But it's true. I am pretty dumb

Plus. I can end phone calls without that button.
    I can't turn the phone on after turning it off. I have to battery pull.
    Damn it. This really sucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-10 03:06 PM
    Oh man, I even quoted the person I was calling an *****, which was neither of you. I was talking to the person that said

"that is cool info
    thanks "

which was completely irrelevant.

Everything after that was directed at you guys.
    10-13-10 03:08 PM
    Oh man that sucks!
    10-13-10 03:16 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I've always worried about the button panel on my Torch coming off and thought about doing this if it ever did. How much glue did you use? I've read other people have done it with good success.

10-13-10 03:20 PM
    Reading this thread about what you did to your Torch, makes it easier for me to understand why you think screen protectors are useless and ugly as per your other thread.

Apparently you think applying lots of glue to your phone is okay, but a screen protector is not needed and ugly.
    10-13-10 03:25 PM
    Yeah, super glue gets way too hard. Need some glue with a little "give" to it. Maybe clear silicone might have worked.

10-13-10 03:26 PM
    Reading this thread about what you did to your Torch, makes it easier for me to understand why you think screen protectors are useless and ugly as per your other thread.

Apparently you think applying lots of glue to your phone is okay, but a screen protector is not needed and ugly.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this cheap shot. It was like kicking a guy when he's down. Lmfao.
    10-13-10 03:28 PM
    I don't think you need to resort to name-calling. You may not agree with what he/she said, but as the saying goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
    This the normally a good rule to follow but the OP did give prior consent to personal insults to him. Read his last sentence.....

"Any ideas? Feel free to call me anything you want.
    I'll start with moron..."

10-13-10 03:30 PM
    things happen and you shouldn't beat yourself up for it. If you live in the toronto area there's a place called tech know space downtown on front street. They do all kinds of blackberry repairs. They do everything! They carry a ton of replacement parts. Given how new the torch is they might have to order what you need but they can fix it and they're very reasonable. They have a website. Check it out. Good luck.
    10-13-10 03:38 PM
    But it's true. I am pretty dumb

Plus. I can end phone calls without that button.
    I can't turn the phone on after turning it off. I have to battery pull.
    Damn it. This really sucks.

No, he wasn't directing is comment at you.. there was a post that has since been removed...

" Originally Posted by acooshe
    that is cool info
    thanks"

Oh man, I even quoted the person I was calling an *****, which was neither of you. I was talking to the person that said

"that is cool info
    thanks "

which was completely irrelevant.

Everything after that was directed at you guys.
    Yes, I got that. However, that post has been removed for some reason.

This the normally a good rule to follow but the OP did give prior consent to personal insults to him. Read his last sentence.....

"Any ideas? Feel free to call me anything you want.
    I'll start with moron..."

As mentioned, there's a post missing. The comment I was referring to was directed at someone else, not the OP. Granted the comment was, um, pointless, but there wasn't any need for name-calling. It's a forum for helping one another... let's keep it friendly
    10-13-10 03:47 PM
    I hear your pain. I dropped my torch (actually fell out of my Bold 9000 leather pouch) onto the cement.

I need to replace this part here since it's all scratched up now, screen still works great so I guess it could be worse.

EDIT: Order placed with truesupplier . com - Thanks again~!
    Last edited by Bold Lover; 10-13-10 at 04:29 PM.
    10-13-10 04:03 PM
    if u need to get rid of the super glue try some acetone (found in nail polish remover). Acetone is superglue's true weakness. Be careful with it though, I'm pretty sure the acetone may discolour your plastics and I'm not sure what it will do to the electronics.
    10-13-10 04:44 PM
    Some people said they used double sided carpet tape instead of glue. I agree with the glue is too hard comment. I glued my last button panel down on my previous phone, and it didn't have that bounce back anymore, so if I pressed it, it didn't feel like a button. If the piece didn't look scratched and tampered with you could say it is a hardware defect.

My advice is to be careful if you decide to pull it up yourself. The plastic buttons are not so much an issue if you end up breaking the components beneath the panel.

I've noticed the left side of my button panel by the call sign is starting to become slightly raised. It now sits just above the screen, where a month ago it sat below, so I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. Why they chose this design instead of a hard plastic like the storm 1 or touch screen button like the storm 2 is beyond me. I think this design is a major drawback to an otherwise great phone.

10-13-10 06:26 PM
    telus will do repairs as they just send it to RIM. RIM subcontracts to flextronics and their repair rates are actually very reasonable.

ex. to take apart phone and replace motherboard is about $150.
    10-13-10 08:38 PM
    OP...you got some good advice here. As well as some blows to the groin. Look into someone repairing. And please let us, who truly feel ur pain, know how it turns around for you. I'm too chicken to ever try what you did. Just cuz I know I be bummed if I messed it up. Good luck.

10-13-10 08:55 PM
    They do make a super glue remover. It works great. Not sure if it would help your situation but thought I would mention it.
    10-13-10 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD