Ok so I just thought I would share my amazing story. Yesterday I called into Fido (my previous canadian carrier) and asked them if they were getting any new handsets soon and of course they wouldn't give out that info. So I started bragging about how Rogers had better handsets and that's when they offered me to switch to Rogers (still on my fido contract) without penalty since I was a subscriber for over a year. So walked into a local Bestbuy store and asked them if this was true and indeed it was! Walked out with a new Torch for $149 ($75 off), a $150 bestbuy giftcard, a free case and zagg screen protector. Pretty good day eh :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-10 11:48 AM
    Sound like you got a good deal. Good luck with it.

12-24-10 12:02 PM
    of course no penalty, Rogers owns Fido. Fido is pay as you go while Rogers is contract. They prefer contract over pay as you go so no wonder they told you can switch without any penalty.
    12-24-10 12:10 PM
    of course no penalty, Rogers owns Fido. Fido is pay as you go while Rogers is contract. They prefer contract over pay as you go so no wonder they told you can switch without any penalty.
    I knew Rogers owns Fido but just found out yesterday that I could switch without a penalty which is awesome. But unfotunately the upgrade is every 2 years and 6 months ? :s. Don't understand why its that long. But love my new toy though

12-24-10 12:27 PM
    Congrats! Welcome to the Torch family
    12-24-10 01:13 PM
    Congratulations on that fine new phone. Enjoy.

12-24-10 02:44 PM
    That is THE phone! Great choice.

12-24-10 02:52 PM
    Sorry, thats not true. While both networks belong to Rogers, they both offer Paygo as well as contracts. The difference is that they both target a different market and offer different handsets/services.

They allow you to switch over without penalty between both networks, not just from Fido to Rogers...

Enjoy the 9800!! Its a great phone!
    12-24-10 02:57 PM
    Sorry, thats not true. While both networks belong to Rogers, they both offer Paygo as well as contracts. The difference is that they both target a different market and offer different handsets/services.

They allow you to switch over without penalty between both networks, not just from Fido to Rogers...

Enjoy the 9800!! Its a great phone!
    +1 I also mentioned I was on a Fido month-to-month contract. I had an great special plan with Fido but the Rogers $50 student plan tops it minus the 6GB data plan I had. I guess its RIP till next fall. Anyways everything is great with this device so far just looking for good wallpapers so feel free to post any or suggest me where to get them, a link would help too

12-24-10 03:35 PM
    Go to www. Zedge.com for some great wallpapers. Its feee. I down load the wallpaper and use the Crackberry wall paper changer to swich the wall paper.

12-24-10 08:33 PM
    Good deal. Hope you are enjoying Torch. Definantly a fun device and sounds like you got one of the best deals I have ever heard anyone getting.
    12-24-10 09:24 PM
    Go to www. Zedge.com for some great wallpapers. Its feee. I down load the wallpaper and use the Crackberry wall paper changer to swich the wall paper.

Thanks. Found a lot of good ones

Good deal. Hope you are enjoying Torch. Definantly a fun device and sounds like you got one of the best deals I have ever heard anyone getting.
    Yes definitely! Now its even more harder to put it down than my previous Bold 9000 (finally that trackballs out of the way ). Loving every bit of this phone better yet the battery is awesome on this. i'm getting a full day and half of heavy use on one charge, glad I made this choice!
    Last edited by luqman24; 12-24-10 at 09:52 PM.
    12-24-10 09:47 PM
    Congrats, that was a heck of a deal. Enjoy your 9800, I know Im enjoying mine.
    12-24-10 09:55 PM
    Congrats, that was a heck of a deal. Enjoy your 9800, I know Im enjoying mine.
    Indeed I will! but the only pain now is the slider. Its a bit hard to slide up and this unit has a slightly wiggly screen and it worries me to make it worse by sliding it up and down.

12-24-10 11:59 PM
    Btw my trackpad stops working for a bit then starts working again and it does that a lot when my finger is a bit moist, is that a common bug?

12-25-10 02:03 PM
    Btw my trackpad stops working for a bit then starts working again and it does that a lot when my finger is a bit moist, is that a common bug?

That's sort of going to get a mixed response, I've found between two 9700's and a 9650, that moisture can sometimes affect the sensitivity of the trackpad (likely due to condensation). I've never found it too huge an issue, I usually just rub my thumb against my clothing, then my phone, and it's fixed, some will say it never happens, some will say it does, and it's normal, I personally don't think it's too huge an issue.
    12-25-10 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD