Here's the deal though- I am a nursing student and have a TON of apps on my iphone- the majority of which were free. I dont want to have to pay to get the same apps that were free. Simple things like Lab values and such.

I'm kinda torn. I've had a BB before and left because of the apps that were available...and now I wanna come back with the AppWorld. I just dont know though. What do you think? Anyone make the switch and happy they did?

I dont know if this is "taboo" here, but I"m also a big fan of Installer on the iPhone...I DO pay for apps after i've tried them if I like them...is there something like that for the BB? I know some of the apps offer a trial period, but not all of them especially the more expensive apps.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    01-23-11 03:59 PM
    Well, the BB appworld is nowhere near the scale of Apple's. If you are bored with apps on Iphone, I'm not sure if you'll be happy with BB either. I am not huge app user myself but I use BB since it meets/exceeds my communication needs. Not sure if I correctly picked up your need for wanting to switch to Torch, but if it is the apps - don't think you'll be satisfied.
    01-23-11 07:27 PM
    I wouldn't go from iphone to BB if apps are very important to you. If you want a good reliable communications device yes. If you are bored with an iphone with a ton of apps, i don't see how a BB can keep you "entertained".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 08:53 PM
    You didn't say which version of iPhone you have. If it is the iPhone4 then I don't think you should switch.

You need the Torch if:
    1) most of your friends and family are on BBM
    2) you need a slide-out keyboard
    3) Apps aren't important to you
    4) multi-media experience is not a huge priority
    5) you already have an iPad or iPod touch
    6) you mainly use it for messaging and phone calls
    7) you are more fond of your friends and family than the device you use to stay in touch with them.
    8) you don't mind a slightly larger and heavier device.

The primary reason people switch from BB to iPhone is they are bored and want MORE. If you are bored with the iPhone you are looking in the wrong place for salvation.

There is an app in App World called Nursing Combo for $6.99 (Vimukti) which is probably akin to the one you mentioned.
    Edit- Lab values is also there for $3.99.
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 01-23-11 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added footnote
    01-23-11 08:59 PM
    Appworld has gotten a little better but is still no where near what the Apple app store has. The only thing a Blackberry can offer you is a better messaging/communication experience. If you're looking for lots of apps, then you're better off staying with the iPhone
    01-23-11 11:47 PM
    I don't know. Apple has a lot of the same things. At the end of the day you pretty much can get most of the same working app on BB as you can for the ips. My wife also is a la vet. And a RN. She got her RN while she was in vet school. She has an ip4 and has those nurse tool on her phone. She even has a stectoscope. She keeps asking me to get some nurseing apps on my Torch. I don't cause I believe if I do she'll steal it. Bahaha.I think you'll enjoy the Torch. Don't worry I get it. I can understand how you can bored with a iphone. Its so much work keeping em up. Can't do anything to em with a computer. Anyway your tradeing off a good device for another good device.

01-24-11 12:55 AM
    I have both (iPhone and Torch). The torch simply does not have the Free Apps that you will want. Some scouring will find you some though - lab values for example. I do however find the $$ apps (medically speaking) better, but they are expensive.

What I can tell you is that when I first was given the iPhone (our health region switched to them) I really liked certain things (smooth UI for one) but there was a lot I missed about my BB. Now that I have both, I use the BB Torch almost exclusively and find that there is really very little I miss about the iPhone. Butwhen it comes to apps - iPhone is the winner.

X

01-24-11 01:11 AM
    Try to look at app world in the web and you'll see for yourself the amount and quality of the medical apps for the BB platform. I had an iPhone 3g before and now I have the Torch and as a Physician I miss some very good apps (medical and no medical) in my iPhone, but in the other hand the BB is a good communication device, the keyboard is excellent etc. choices, choices...
    01-24-11 10:23 AM
    I use a Torch and an iPhone 4. the iphone is for my media (Netflix, music, etc) and internet browsing and my Torch is pretty much for everything else. I love a real keyboard. I had a hard time picking between the two so I figured, why do i have to pick anyway?
    01-24-11 11:30 AM
    I'm returning to BB and the Torch this week. I'm coming from iPhone 3GS. I am a huge fan of both Apple and RIM. They both bring things to the market that everyone else has tried and not been able to copy. My reasons for switching back to BB and the Torch is that I work in a small company. We have to fund our own mobile devices. Everyone is on BB except for me. So I know I miss out on some information / fun stuff with BBM. Yes there is What's App as cross platform, but its still not the same as BBM. With BB I will save on data, as I won't have to spend as much with it being compressed.

I also just purchased a Torch for my wife, tried it out, and was 100% impressed with the hardware and OS6. They have clearly evolved the OS to the point where you're not having to reset the phone all the time, and the App World is improving too.

I know there will be things about iphone that I will miss, however I have and iPad and can get my app fix there too.

Best of luck with your decision.
    01-24-11 12:06 PM
    to the OP i am in a similar boat i have a 3gs and i used to travel a lot for work but have since been promoted so now i am in the office so my device needs shifted form entertainment to communication. i have used many bbs in the past and also have an htc surround which is nice but wp7 is too early for it to be stable yet. if you want apps perhaps consider the samsung captivate or an android device. I personally love blackberrys but their strength is not in their apps. so if you need a keyboard/great messaging go bb otherwise look into wp7/android or upgrade to an iphone 4.
    01-24-11 12:15 PM
    I have the iPhone 4, Blackberry Torch and The Android platform Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant.

If your bored with an iPhone which is strange to me as theirs always something new for it if your an app junky. You will not, and it will not please your desires going to a blackberry. The vast majority of people have a blackberry like already stated because data is a little cheaper with it, it's easier to communicate via Blackberry Messenger (Remember text messaging? lol). And it can be argued the e-mail experience in terms of getting them is faster.

Without those two, having worked in Telecommunications industry for 8+ years, not a lot of users would even care to have a blackberry.

SO my advice, I wouldn't do it, based on what you want.
    01-24-11 12:35 PM
    I have the iPhone 4, Blackberry Torch and The Android platform Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant.

If your bored with an iPhone which is strange to me as theirs always something new for it if your an app junky. You will not, and it will not please your desires going to a blackberry. The vast majority of people have a blackberry like already stated because data is a little cheaper with it, it's easier to communicate via Blackberry Messenger (Remember text messaging? lol). And it can be argued the e-mail experience in terms of getting them is faster.

Without those two, having worked in Telecommunications industry for 8+ years, not a lot of users would even care to have a blackberry.

SO my advice, I wouldn't do it, based on what you want.
    You completely missed the mark for me. The iphone drives me crazy cause you have to have a computer to take anything off of it. You have no fileing system. There's more to the world than apps man. If you would give me a list of 10 must apps that you can't live w/ out and I'll see if I can put them on my Torch. I bet yes. People get bored not being able to do anything w/ the iphone. Its a pita to install stuff on it OTA then have to get to a machine to remove it. I'm haveing a blast w/ my torch. I'm even downloadong and running apps on it just for giggles. Bubble popper is fun. Doesn't help out emailing but still.

01-24-11 03:57 PM
    I'm not a huge app junkie...the main apps I use are facebook, tapatalk, twitter, FML, wikipedia, the calendar and the camera.

So, here's the delema...

1- with the calendar on the Torch, can I synch to google calendar? My husband and I both use the google calendar to keep eachother up to date on what's happening with our schedules so that's important.
    2- I used to have a BB and purchased apps from handango, they should still be good right?
    3- I'm not too big on watching movies and stuff on my iphone...and we have an old iphone i can load movies onto if I want.
    4- I kinda miss the keyboard.

I'm a huge "new" person. I want new things because I get bored with the old. And as ******** as this sounds, my friends daughter got a torch and i've been playing with it (pretty bad when I steal a 9 year olds phone every time she comes over) and I really do like it! I have to admit, I enjoy jailbreaking the iphone, but man, there's just nothing new to jailbreak anymore and apples making it more and more of a pain.

So i guess I just answered my own delema...guess I'll be hunting craigs list for a torch. LOL
    01-25-11 01:28 PM
    ^ to address that dillema. why don't you just buy a blackberry and an android..
    sell them when you get bored and then buy the next thing..
    it's not a practical approach, but if it will satisfy the "itch" you have then Go!

if you're looking for the BEST phone.. you will be disappointed.
    every phone has it's own strengths and weaknesses.
    01-25-11 02:06 PM
    OK....got the torch. So far so good, just trying to figure it out! LOL!
    01-25-11 10:24 PM
    Give it a good try for as long as possible before deciding how you really feel about it. There are numerous threads of owners keeping it a few hours to a week before giving up. Since you are already familiar with RIM, it should not be a big adjustment.
    01-25-11 11:15 PM
    I have both (iPhone and Torch). The torch simply does not have the Free Apps that you will want. Some scouring will find you some though - lab values for example. I do however find the $$ apps (medically speaking) better, but they are expensive.

What I can tell you is that when I first was given the iPhone (our health region switched to them) I really liked certain things (smooth UI for one) but there was a lot I missed about my BB. Now that I have both, I use the BB Torch almost exclusively and find that there is really very little I miss about the iPhone. Butwhen it comes to apps - iPhone is the winner.

X

Why not sell the iPhone and get an iPod Touch lol (unless u you the iPhone as a phone as well). Could save u a couple $100s :P

01-25-11 11:19 PM
    i stand with my recommendation... which i have been saying for the years..
    get yourself a blackberry for a phone... and if you NEED a purely multimedia device.. get an ipod touch (same facetime feature if you're into that, retina display etc etc) OR an ipad.
    01-26-11 07:39 AM
    I left my iPhone 3G for the Torch two months ago and so happy I did. My iPhone, while fun, just wasn't as great as I expected. Yes, there are a ton of apps, but I didn't use many of them. I missed the physical keyboard (I used to have the 8100 before the iPhone) and the LED notification is just crucial. I also hated that the iPhone didn't have a folder system for their pictures, that seems like such an easy, basic thing a phone should have. I'm glad to be back to BB.

Here are the current apps I use frequently with my Torch:
    - Mobile Checkbook
    - Twitter
    - Facebook
    - Foursquare
    - Smiley Pack
    - Calorie Counter
    - Amazon MP3 Player
    - BeBuzz

I really don't need much more than that.

Best of luck!
    01-26-11 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD