Guys, this is probably my first post. I'm a hardcore blackberry user and like all adicts love to get my hands on any new devices that RIM launches. I recently bought a torch and was loving it until this evening. I was on a call and noticed that the phone started heating up so when i checked the screen, the display colors had gone (something like starting windows in SAFE MODE). I finished the call and restarted the phone by pressing alt+shift+del. After that my phone is DEAD! I have tried everything but to no avail. Anyone has an idea what might have happened. I had bought my phone from secondary market so no warrenty as well. Please help....
    11-24-10 01:07 PM
    I assume you've done a battery pull. Have you plugged in the charger? Does the charge light come on? If you have a volt meter, may want to check the battery voltage, maybe it crapped out?
    11-24-10 01:13 PM
    Yes i did the battery pull and when i connect the charger, the red indicator light comes up for about 10 seconds and then nothing happens. Do you think i need to change my battery? I dont understand why the phone lost the display colors and why it heated up so much. Thanks much
    11-24-10 01:18 PM
    If you have another battery, it wouldn't hurt to try.
    11-24-10 01:20 PM
    Yes i agree, i will buy a new battery tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks
    11-24-10 02:24 PM
    Post your results
    11-24-10 02:30 PM
    hope it all works out for you!
    11-24-10 02:59 PM
    Lithium batteries have a built in safety circuit to prevent damage from a run away discharge. If not, there would be a risk of serious overheating and even an explosion with they fail.

Swap in a known good battery to confirm the diagnosis. You can try leaving it on charge for an extended time, members have reported success on occasion.
    LaughingBandit likes this.
    11-24-10 03:03 PM
    It sounds like the GPU got fried from overheating somehow. That's my guess if a swapped battery doesn't work. Either way, it's probably dead at that point if the new battery is ineffectual.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 03:23 PM
    Here are results, i bought a new battery, charged it for like an hours but the phone did not come back to life. I then thought of taking it to a repair store who called me back just now saying that the main board is gone and is beyond economical repair. I'm bit annoyed with RIM on the quality of their new devices. RIM is surely going down. I remember the old bold 8800 falling in water 3 times and yet it stayed with me for more than a year or so. Think i'm gonna try a 9700 now.
    11-25-10 07:58 AM
    Why not take it back to your carrier and say "wtf?". There should be no reason your main board is fried..and they should issue you an exchange.
    11-25-10 08:06 AM
    This phone was without any warrenty so basically im screwed. Wish i had bought it from the carrier would have been easy. Now i have a throw a nice looking almost brand new phone in the garbage. What a shame this...
    11-25-10 08:10 AM
    Just wondering does this happen quite often or its just me. Any good phone is supposed to last for atleast a month right. Especially when you pay a good price for it.
    11-25-10 08:16 AM
    This phone was without any warrenty so basically im screwed. Wish i had bought it from the carrier would have been easy. Now i have a throw a nice looking almost brand new phone in the garbage. What a shame this...
    even though you may have bought it from a private party, its been out less than a year, so your carrier should still do a swap under warranty for you -
    it's worth a try.

11-25-10 09:04 AM
    Here are results, i bought a new battery, charged it for like an hours but the phone did not come back to life. I then thought of taking it to a repair store who called me back just now saying that the main board is gone and is beyond economical repair. I'm bit annoyed with RIM on the quality of their new devices. RIM is surely going down. I remember the old bold 8800 falling in water 3 times and yet it stayed with me for more than a year or so. Think i'm gonna try a 9700 now.
    So have you ever bought a used vehicle and then find out it had issues and the seller said sorry I'm done...???

Never been disappointed with a business decision you've made in the past huh so now RIM is going down due to your failure to accept life and its daily mishaps and consequences......which is why one buys Ford and other buys chebby etc and so on......if you feel like you've been burned then accept it and move on.....otherwise it really......sucks to be U....
    11-25-10 09:12 AM
    Just wondering does this happen quite often or its just me. Any good phone is supposed to last for atleast a month right. Especially when you pay a good price for it.
    Take a walk into any shop....from experience...I've been in the Mercedes shop in Houston and their bays are full...from regular maintenance to major repairs...guess what......stuff happens........its called life....... we all make bad decisions suck it up and move on.......here let me cry in your beer......we have a large furniture store going out of business and we buy a bedroom suite for 2200 bucks we walk in the NEXT day to ask some questions and the set is now $300 less......so what, I made my deal and accept it for the best deal at the time.....ok...have a great Turkey days folks....enjoy.....
    11-25-10 09:17 AM
    I'm done with my phone here boys and I'm not the one crying. I just have an opinion about RIM so just said what I felt. So if you have a problem with that, I'm sure if you were in my place you wouldn't be taking things easy. Anyways enjoy your torch while you can cause it can burn anytime without you knowing about it. Keep a good back up is my advise.

11-25-10 12:55 PM
    I'm done with my phone here boys and I'm not the one crying. I just have an opinion about RIM so just said what I felt. So if you have a problem with that, I'm sure if you were in my place you wouldn't be taking things easy. Anyways enjoy your torch while you can cause it can burn anytime without you knowing about it. Keep a good back up is my advise.

you're Torch is less than a yr old..
    regardless of what the Seller told you..
    you have 1 yr warranty with RIM the company who made the phone.
    and you can call them and send it for repair.

if you're in the states, and the Torch has an AT&T branding on it
    you can take it to them and they will send it to RIM
    even if you didn't buy the phone from them.

NOW, there's a problem if the Torch you have is a Pre-release device..
    something that shouldn't be SOLD at all..
    where did you take the torch for repair? same place where you bought it?
    11-25-10 03:11 PM
    My Torch blacked out on me like last week. It happened 4 freaking times. Couldn't B!^# about it coz its a given for electronics. Not saying all are screwed but... It happens to anyone. Just move on and buy a NEW one or save for it again. To top it all of.. I still love looking at my dead Torch. LOL. Just my 2 cents bud.
    11-26-10 01:48 AM
    Also a little worried after being on a 15 minute phone call my torch got very warm. Hopeing this isn't a sign of my device possibly dying on me considering it's on a week old.
    11-26-10 05:14 AM
    LOL

One post about a "warm" phone dying, and now everyone is going to think because there phone gets warm its going to die.
    11-26-10 05:36 AM
    I love blackberry's. Nothing beats it. I'm just worried owning a device which dies off middle of an important business call. I mean where is the reliability we associate RIM with. Did they start manufacturing devices in China now?

11-26-10 08:34 AM
    I'm on Bold 9000 which I had saved. Its close to one year old and still rocks. If this one fails, I'm going back to 8800 which is still with me.

11-26-10 08:37 AM
    you're Torch is less than a yr old..
    regardless of what the Seller told you..
    you have 1 yr warranty with RIM the company who made the phone.
    and you can call them and send it for repair.

if you're in the states, and the Torch has an AT&T branding on it
    you can take it to them and they will send it to RIM
    even if you didn't buy the phone from them.

NOW, there's a problem if the Torch you have is a Pre-release device..
    something that shouldn't be SOLD at all..
    where did you take the torch for repair? same place where you bought it?

I'm not in States, can I send you this phone so that you can get is replaced from the factory? This device is not pre released. Thanks

11-26-10 08:39 AM
    Never heard a bb crap out like that in all my years of bb friendly usage / friends. Seems like an anomaly to me.... That being said....Most of the time, I don't trust the 'secondary' markets...

~LB
    11-26-10 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD