I have a rogers 9800 torch i bought on launch day. My device keeps switching between EDGE and 3G alot, is any one having issues with that ? I used a AT&T torch for almost 2 months and it never switched to EDGE. Is there a fix, a few other ppl i know on rogers are also getting EDGE once in a while.
    10-08-10 01:18 AM
    I'm having no such issues, but it could be caused by weak 3G reception. Keep in mind, a full bar may not mean good reception. As far as I'm aware, if the signal is weak, the antennae is boosted to compensate (hence why a low coverage area will drain your battery a lot quicker). What you can do (if you are using a Rogers 9800) is set the network to "3G Only". This will not work with your AT&T Torch, as you are restricted to "2G Only" and "2G/3G" modes. I can only speculate as to why that is.

Obviously "3G Only" will be a little riskier if you are in a low-coverage area. Once you are out of reception, you are dead in the water until you change the network settings to 2G.
    10-08-10 01:26 AM
    I have a rogers 9800 torch i bought on launch day. My device keeps switching between EDGE and 3G alot, is any one having issues with that ? I used a AT&T torch for almost 2 months and it never switched to EDGE. Is there a fix, a few other ppl i know on rogers are also getting EDGE once in a while.
    Out of the box comes 2g & 3g just go to ur options>networks and connections>mobile network> network mode: choose 3G
    10-08-10 01:27 AM
    I bought mine on launch day as well and I haven't experienced what you have. The phone has been really good to me. The two previous posts were exactly what I would have said. Good luck.
    10-08-10 01:51 AM
    Haven't had any issues yet with 3G reception, and I live in an area in a coverage "shadow."
    10-08-10 01:57 AM
    I bought mine on launch day as well and I haven't experienced what you have. The phone has been really good to me. The two previous posts were exactly what I would have said. Good luck.
    Thanks for the information. I was using 2G and 3G with my AT&T torch and i was on 3G all the time. Maybe my device is screwed up ? I never had to put my phone on 3G to get the 3G service i had my old 9700 on 2G & 3G and i also was on 3G. I understand if the area doesnt have 3G coverage i will get EDGE but in my area i compared my AT&T torch and my rogers torch and at some points my rogers torch would go to EDGE and my AT&T never did lol. so i dunno should i try a software reload if my phone keep switch to EDGE ? Thanks for the help everyone....
    10-08-10 01:58 AM
    I am experiencing this issue now. Except in reverse. I had a Rogers Torch setup to the 2G and 3G and was on 3G all the time. I've just switched to my AT&T Torch setup on 2G and 3G as well, except I have this stupid 3G switching to EDGE problem now with this device. I just did a clean wipe and upgrade/install of 6.0.0.337 from 6.0.0.246 and that did not solve the problem. So I don't know about the software reload working to fix this, so maybe this is hardware related? . Anyone have any ideas on how to fix/solve this? Would replacing the motherboard maybe fix it if it is hardware related? or is this not possible?
    Last edited by Kent9000; 11-13-10 at 12:39 PM.
    11-13-10 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD