I'm (FINALLY) getting my Torch this week. (SO EXCITED!) and I'm trying to decide if I want a white one or a charcoal one.

I haven't had a phone WITHOUT a chrome bezel in the past 5-7 years and the fact that the white one doesn't have one is kinda what's throwing me off.
    TBH, whenever I think of the white one, I keep getting an image of the old Samsungs or LG's Telus was pushing a few years ago and I hated those. They just felt.."cheap"

So I suppose my question is, for those of you who have both or even had both, did you find the build on the white one was as sturdy or sturdier as the charcoal one? Anyone have any issues with the white that they didn't with the charcoal? i.e. keyboard stiffness, lifting buttons etc.

I checked the other posts and it was briefly touched upon in there but not enough to quiet my concerns. I intend to go to the local wireless store and handle one tomorrow but models in shops tend to be "worse for wear" sometimes.

Any feedback is Appreciated
    01-28-11 09:32 PM
    I have a white torch (and typing on the keyboard at this moment). I haven't had one problem with my Torch, as of yet, and don't think I will. I never had the charcoal one, but both devices are made with the same parts. The color, more specifically the white one, doesn't make it unsturdier than that of the charcoal one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 09:48 PM
    I prefer the Black one over the white (that sounded racist lol). I find the white one kind of looking like a toy and cheap. The black one looks more appealing and more professional looking to me but that's my oppinion not trying to ruin your decision for you. I ended up getting the black one and am happy with it till this day (except for the slight screen wobble (n)). Good luck!

Last edited by luqman24; 01-28-11 at 10:39 PM.
    01-28-11 09:58 PM
    I checked out both colours before buying and I prefer the black/charcoal. The black/charcoal looks classier. The white looks cheap to me. If it had the chrome, I think it would have looked better. I had a white 9700 and loved it. I actually preferred the white 9700 over my current black 9700. For some reason the keypad on the white one felt better. I noticed that on the white Torch as well. Maybe it's perception.
    01-28-11 10:29 PM
    I checked out both colours before buying and I prefer the black/charcoal. The black/charcoal looks classier. The white looks cheap to me. If it had the chrome, I think it would have looked better. I had a white 9700 and loved it. I actually preferred the white 9700 over my current black 9700. For some reason the keypad on the white one felt better. I noticed that on the white Torch as well. Maybe it's perception.
    The white Torch does have a chome bezel.

01-28-11 10:38 PM
    The white Torch does have a chome bezel.

My bad. It doesn't have the chrome on the screen part of the slider so that's what makes it look cheap.
    01-28-11 10:47 PM
    My bad. It doesn't have the chrome on the screen part of the slider so that's what makes it look cheap.
    It actually makes the phone look slimmer. Don't assume before you see it and feel it in person that it "looks" cheap. If that's the case then you've made your decision haven't you?

01-29-11 01:20 AM
    There are differences in the battery door between the charcoal and the white ones. I think the charcoal one has a chrome finish on the battery door. But whatever it is on the battery door on the charcoal one, the white, red, etc ones, don't have it.

EDIT: W00T 500th post. I'm officially an addict now.
    01-29-11 01:33 AM
    There are differences in the battery door between the charcoal and the white ones. I think the charcoal one has a chrome finish on the battery door. But whatever it is on the battery door on the charcoal one, the white, red, etc ones, don't have it.

EDIT: W00T 500th post. I'm officially an addict now.
    Congrats on 500 posts.

The charcoal/black one, which I have, does not have a chrome battery door. It's a black rubberized feeling (very nice grip) material.

The word Torch on the back is chrome color, as are the Blackberry "dots" on it. The main chrome is the bezel.
    01-29-11 01:57 AM
    I agree with you. I was kind of dissapointed about how the white one turned out in the end. Oh well as long as I have the black one its all good

It actually makes the phone look slimmer. Don't assume before you see it and feel it in person that it "looks" cheap. If that's the case then you've made your decision haven't you?

Lol I'm sure everyone has seen it in person or felt it by now. IMHO it does look cheap and yes I have seen it in person, infact the last time I saw it in person was 2 days ago.
    Last edited by luqman24; 01-29-11 at 02:09 AM.
    01-29-11 02:05 AM
    I have both and both are same quality. The charcoal does have a higher end look to it though imho. The white rim around the screen dims the buttons and gives it a lower quality look to me. Other than that same. Its a great phone. I put a gelaskin on mine and looks great.
    01-29-11 08:03 AM
    I had the choice of the white and black 9800s and IMHO, the white one looked better. It's all subjective really and depends what works for you. My white one's build quality is pretty good and I never had a problem with it.
    01-29-11 08:11 AM
    I went with the black one because it was all ATT offered when I got mine. Don't personally care for the white, but the red looks cool. To me the black looks sleek and professiobal, but it really is a moot issue if you put an black Seidio Innocase Surface case on it. :-)

01-29-11 09:20 AM
    I just got upgraded to a Torch and I choose the black. The chrome does make it look sharp, classy, and manly. That's important too!

But I don't know if I am ready to make the switch?
    I want to know that you are happy with your Torch?
    Better than your previous BBerry?
    I don't know why, but I am skeptical to plug it in and hit the 'switch device' button.

Any help?
    01-29-11 10:00 AM
    Lol I'm sure everyone has seen it in person or felt it by now. IMHO it does look cheap and yes I have seen it in person, infact the last time I saw it in person was 2 days ago.
    ... And my response wasn't for you.
    Last edited by girlontherun; 01-29-11 at 10:08 AM.
    01-29-11 10:03 AM

I did not assume. Did you read my first post? I checked both colours out before choosing the black one. To me the white looks cheap. If it had the chrome bezel on the top, it probably would look better. Read my posts before you make comments like this.
    01-29-11 02:15 PM
    I agree with you. I was kind of dissapointed about how the white one turned out in the end. Oh well as long as I have the black one its all good

I was disappointed with the white one as well. I thought it would look like the white 9700. Yea, I'm very happy with the black/charcoal one.
    01-29-11 02:18 PM
    I'm (FINALLY) getting my Torch this week. (SO EXCITED!) and I'm trying to decide if I want a white one or a charcoal one.

Any feedback is Appreciated
    Get the black and white. Look to the cookie lol
    01-29-11 02:35 PM
    I have the black one and wife has the Red Torch. As stated, the white wasn't available during the initial release. I still prefer the Black Torch.
    01-29-11 02:38 PM
    I think your only fear should be how long it will stay white. You may need to protect it to prevent it from turning yellow.
    01-29-11 02:56 PM
    I think the white looks more "girly" which is why I got it LOL!

And then to protect it I wound up getting an outer case that is white with various shades of pink florals. I have Barbie issues.
    Last edited by Normamargot; 01-29-11 at 04:27 PM.
    01-29-11 04:21 PM
    So, after my trip to the wireless store today, I'll probably get the white, just for a change
    But I dislike how the backdoor is plastic and not the rubberized plastic the charcoal is. Those of you with the White one, how do/did you remedy this?
    Most of the time I like my phone to go "nude" but I'm not opposed to replacing the door or skinning it, I'd just like ideas o what others are using

Btw Thanks for everyone for their input
    Last edited by Traycee; 01-29-11 at 06:25 PM.
    01-29-11 06:20 PM
    I think the white looks more "girly" which is why I got it LOL!

And then to protect it I wound up getting an outer case that is white with various shades of pink florals. I have Barbie issues.
    I would prefer to say "feminine" instead of "girly" but I agree with your point.
    (and some of us guys have Barbie issues too, but that's for another forum)
    01-29-11 08:28 PM
    I would prefer to say "feminine" instead of "girly" but I agree with your point.
    (and some of us guys have Barbie issues too, but that's for another forum)
    LOL! True that!
    01-30-11 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD