Looks like the Torch is down to 49 bucks (for the AT&T peeps)

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)
    Last edited by jastevenson; 10-19-10 at 10:17 AM.
    10-18-10 12:44 PM
    Geez, and I thought i had a good deal when it was $99...
    10-18-10 01:12 PM
    But not for family upgrades - Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. and Cell Phones for free with Cell Phone Plans from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless are doing $49 offers and they allowing family plan upgrades for 49
    10-18-10 02:37 PM
    Great Deal
    10-18-10 04:13 PM
    wow a price drop so early, i wonder why?
    10-18-10 04:33 PM
    I couldn't care less if they give away the Torch. It doesn't affect my phone's day to day performance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 04:36 PM
    wow a price drop so early, i wonder why?
    To remain competitive with the Droid 2, now free on a two year plan with Verizon? Or maybe the Droid Incredible at $39.99 on Verizon? Or maybe because of the Samsung Captivate on AT&T at $29.99?

All above prices at wireless.amazon.com with zip code NY 10012.

(I suspect that you were not expecting that answer)
    10-18-10 07:34 PM
    To remain competitive with the Droid 2, now free on a two year plan with Verizon? Or maybe the Droid Incredible at $39.99 on Verizon? Or maybe because of the Samsung Captivate on AT&T at $29.99?
    Yup, if you visit the link in the OP and just change phones to the Droid 2, you'll see it's free. The Droid Incredible is free too.

RIM has to price their phones competitively.

Looks like the Torch is down to 49 bucks (for the AT&T peeps)

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)
    10-18-10 08:12 PM
    RIM is not pricing these... These are not price dropped by RIM at all. These are subsidized discounts offered by the retailer ONLY
    10-18-10 08:15 PM
    RIM may not be setting these prices, but the carriers still have a formula when it comes to pricing subsidized phones. I find it hard to believe that such a sharp price decrease would come about without some sort of a reduction in wholesale pricing. A better indicator would be the no-commitment price.

10-18-10 10:34 PM
    Nope, which is why the handset value has not really been reduced. Its just an additional subsidy from the 3rd party retailer, which is why AT&Ts prices don't even reflect this.

10-19-10 12:48 AM
    just buy one yesterday from lets talk.com for $49.99 with free shipping.
    10-19-10 09:29 AM
    I have another 6 months on my ATT bold contract. The Torch at amazon says I'm eligible for an upgrade, and can buy it at the price shown..$49.99.
    I check with ATT, they say I can upgrade with an $18.00 early fee and get the phone for $199.99.
    so can i do the amazon upgrade? or am i just going to get stuck with two phone plans??
    10-19-10 03:17 PM
    You should be ok. AT&T is expensive 'cause they're just..expensive.

I have another 6 months on my ATT bold contract. The Torch at amazon says I'm eligible for an upgrade, and can buy it at the price shown..$49.99.
    I check with ATT, they say I can upgrade with an $18.00 early fee and get the phone for $199.99.
    so can i do the amazon upgrade? or am i just going to get stuck with two phone plans??
    10-22-10 05:10 PM
    Just do the Amazon upgrade.

10-22-10 05:17 PM
    Agreed.

QUOTE=mark_rivers19;5702177]Just do the Amazon upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]
    10-26-10 04:25 PM
    I am super disappointed. I bought this damn phone for $200 and now I see, a month after I bought it, it's $50. SMH. : ( Oh wellz.
    10-26-10 04:50 PM
    I am super disappointed. I bought this damn phone for $200 and now I see, a month after I bought it, it's $50. SMH. : ( Oh wellz.
    This is the price we pay for wanting the first, the latest and the greatest device..
    if you buy the iphone 3G 16GB now, it's about $99..
    i remember paying $299 2 years ago and a renewed contract with AT&T
    10-26-10 05:35 PM
    RIM is not pricing these... These are not price dropped by RIM at all. These are subsidized discounts offered by the retailer ONLY
    And almost certainly clawed back over the life of the contract. No such thing as a free lunch
    10-26-10 05:41 PM
    And almost certainly clawed back over the life of the contract. No such thing as a free lunch
    Unless you count my 9800, which was a free warranty upgrade AND I was
    allowed to keep the 9700.
    10-26-10 06:08 PM
    This is the price we pay for wanting the first, the latest and the greatest device..
    if you buy the iphone 3G 16GB now, it's about $99..
    i remember paying $299 2 years ago and a renewed contract with AT&T
    I absolutely agree. If you want a cheaper price on a phone, wait a while and it'll come down.

I bought the iphone 3GS 32GB a year ago at a higher price. Then I wanted to come back to BB so paid more for my Torch. I wanted it so badly and thought that since I couldn't get an early upgrade price on a phone anyway, I might as well splurge this time and get the one I really wanted.

I paid more but I made the decision to jump to the Torch when I did. No regrets. Well....it would be nice to have that money, but I wouldn't have waited anyway. I'd have stuck with my decision still.

Sorry for rambling.
    10-26-10 10:14 PM
    Only if it says you can.
    12-24-10 06:37 PM
    Here is another thing. I dont trust Walmart or Bestbuy with the ATT contracts. Att uses point of sales programs when doing an upgrade and 99.9 percent of my complaints from customers is that they purchased the phone there and the people working on the account changed there rate plan there texting packages didnt waive an upgrade fee things like that watch what you walk into becasue those people arent actual company certified reps.
    12-24-10 09:27 PM
    Here is another thing. I dont trust Walmart or Bestbuy with the ATT contracts. Att uses point of sales programs when doing an upgrade and 99.9 percent of my complaints from customers is that they purchased the phone there and the people working on the account changed there rate plan there texting packages didnt waive an upgrade fee things like that watch what you walk into becasue those people arent actual company certified reps.
    Bingo. There is no way I would get a contract phone and a plan set up by a walmart employee. For explaining things or going into the details..would be like asking a piece of rock. One thing that you would never find in Walmart and that is IQ.
    12-24-10 09:44 PM
    Bingo. There is no way I would get a contract phone and a plan set up by a walmart employee. For explaining things or going into the details..would be like asking a piece of rock. One thing that you would never find in Walmart and that is IQ.
    I completely agree and I am not only saying this becasue I work for ATT but it is just from personal experiance. I also have secret shoped a few places and they have no product knowladge
    12-24-10 09:55 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD