^^^ exactly. Now a new question to get the ranters going how does everyone thing the current BB apps will look if they increase the screen res? Once again not jumping up and down trying to get nothing but media but a sharper crisper reading experience would be a big + for any BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 05:51 PM
    ^^^ exactly. Now a new question to get the ranters going how does everyone thing the current BB apps will look if they increase the screen res? Once again not jumping up and down trying to get nothing but media but a sharper crisper reading experience would be a big + for any BB.

Well that's a question on everyone's mind. Are apps from OS6 going to be compatible with 6.1? I'm sure they will..but it still begs the question. Another big question that's been raised is are developers going to want to be developing for OS6 and/or 6.1..when they know QNX is around the corner. Or are they going to hold off and wait until RIM's platform becomes a little more "stable". We all know eventually it will be QNX on all phones (because eventually the older models will get EOL'd)..and so are dev's gonna say "Eff it..i'll just wait til QNX gets released and THEN put in some time". These are questions I think alot of people would like some answers to.
    01-16-11 06:03 PM
    Torch 2 needs to have
    - better keyboard
    - better calling quality
    - bigger display screen & higher resolution
    - lighter & thinner
    - doesn't overheat
    01-16-11 06:11 PM
    Well that's a question on everyone's mind. Are apps from OS6 going to be compatible with 6.1? I'm sure they will..but it still begs the question. Another big question that's been raised is are developers going to want to be developing for OS6 and/or 6.1..when they know QNX is around the corner. Or are they going to hold off and wait until RIM's platform becomes a little more "stable". We all know eventually it will be QNX on all phones (because eventually the older models will get EOL'd)..and so are dev's gonna say "Eff it..i'll just wait til QNX gets released and THEN put in some time". These are questions I think alot of people would like some answers to.
    That's a good point I never really thought of that. I wonder if RIM coming so late into the Webkit OS market are going to be willing to abandon the new platform so soon after adopting it. I expect they will wait until maybe a BBOS7 to run the QNX but that would stop developers in there tracks as far as having to code for two totally different OS platforms when designing the various apps. I guess all we can hope for is that developers will either go back and forth or they will just redo previous apps that are already running on webkit at least giving us a few new options as far as being a BB user. I think I'd personally be ok with just catching up at this point but I don't know enough about QNX yet to really be able to have an opinion. Looks like I have some research to do lol.

01-16-11 06:15 PM
    Just out of curiosity, where has it been said that QNX will be called QNX. Who's to say it wont be called OS 6.1, or os7(I think micro$oft might have a patent on that) for that matter. Kinda blows all the speculation about OS's and whether this will run QNX or not, out of the water. Yes I know mike has said that QNX requires dual core, but I'm sure there are some undertones of QNX in 6.1, would only be logical to not already start to incorporate it into the current BB OS.
    01-16-11 06:30 PM
    Even though a good majority of ppl here love their BB's... What's the problem with people wanting/expecting a little more from RIM, even if their opinion about it.... It's not always about praising with a blind eye, you should be able to objective too. I think it's easy to say a BB is no longer for the corporate user... RIM if they haven't yet, should understand that.

My point is the bickering back and forth is irrelevant for the simple fact that it isn't changing anything.. And what I'm saying is if RIM isn't coming out with what other devices have then move to the device that has what you want.. I don't see the complication in that.
    Like I said people should be focused on what it is and not what it isnt

01-16-11 06:38 PM
    Even though a good majority of ppl here love their BB's... What's the problem with people wanting/expecting a little more from RIM, even if their opioniated about it.... It's not always about praising with a blind eye, you should be able to objective too. I think it's easy to say a BB is no longer for the corporate user... RIM if they haven't yet, should understand that.

I don't think I am praising with a blind eye but I am very realistic when it comes to the R&D of a product. I will never tell someone that they are flapping at their virtual gums just because they say they want this feature or that feature, I just wish that people would think more about what it takes to actually incorporate each feature.

RIM is behind on the consumer smart phone market there is no doubt in my oppinion, but the reason they are behind is because they are not media focused or at least they haven't been so far. The average consumer today will go and look at a bunch of smart phones with all different OS's whether it is BB's OS, and iOS, android etc. And most of the consumers will pick the phone that has the sexiest form factor, the nicest interface, and the coolest looking games/apps. But RIM is by no means out of the running my 15yo niece had the option recently of an iPhone4 and a BB Torch and she picked the Torch (intelligence runs in the family lol) because it had BBM, a touch screen (without " that clicky thing those stormy things did" her words not mine) and because she thought it was the coolest looking phone available. And trust me she is the very trendy type directly out of the iPhone demographic lol.

01-16-11 08:38 PM
    What I would like to see the Torch2 to have is the 800mhz processor, 1gb of ram dual channel if possible and ad- hoc. It blows my mind that BB hasn't ad-hoced yet. My only changes for os6.1 would be have more control over the home screen folders. I only hope the browser has better. User control over the input field when using the touch keyboard. In this browser typing in an input field usually has you typing blind if using the virtual keyboard. Oh can you put me down for a left conveniencce key please

01-16-11 09:55 PM
    And the charging port moved back up PLEASE lol

01-16-11 10:09 PM
    Who cares about specs? As long as the experience is smooth and rich what does it matter in the least bit????

Rickroller and Masahiro like this.
    01-17-11 02:19 AM
    The only reason I am really hoping that BB specs start meeting the rest of the market is so it will become more popular. The more sales RIM makes the more money they have to put into development of the best smart phone out there and that will benefit BB users in a big way. I just hope that they don't decide to stray for more sales as in, starting to use crappy form factors, giving up on the email and BBM and security that we all know and trust just so you can record a video in HD. I still hate that argument as my Brother in law is always bragging about his iphone 4 having a better camera than my 8530, which is very very true, but if I send him an email it sometimes comes in 4 days after I sent it! Anyway not going to rehash the BB iOS debate and keep flogging a dead horse, now I will go back to theme building...... which evidently the halloween theme I'm developing has a tombstone that says..... iPhones SUCK lmao.

P.S. this is the first time in a long time that I am using a desktop computer for the forums and I have to say typing on the BB is so much better
    01-17-11 02:42 AM
    ^^yes, yes it is. Have fun building themes!

01-17-11 04:29 AM
    Ok new question because I'm bored. If the Torch 2 comes out with all the industry standard bells and whistles (1.2Ghz dual core processor, HD display and video recording, etc.) And the thing is like all the iphones I know that have to be kept as close to a power source as possible, would you choose the torch 2 and deal with the battery drain for the sake of entertainment? Or would you go for the less media intensive model and get a good 1 to 2 days of average use from a charge?

Personally I'm stuck with my 8530 for a long time, but when I can upgrade I think I'd rather have the phone that is going to last me all day (which for me can be from 3am to 10pm). I am obviously waiting to see what the torch 2 might be like but if it's another bloody phone that only lasts from 9-5 then I think I will get the downgraded Torch 1.

01-19-11 09:39 PM
    I would guess that the OS 6.1 will optimize device performance. One can only guess that battery life will suffer though probably not to the extent of the i4. The T2 release may slip to Q4 and you may wait to see how feedback from early adopters so getting the T1 now might be a good move since battery life is just fine.

01-20-11 06:02 AM
    Ok new question because I'm bored. If the Torch 2 comes out with all the industry standard bells and whistles (1.2Ghz dual core processor, HD display and video recording, etc.) would you choose the torch 2 and deal with the battery drain for the sake of entertainment? Or would you go for the less media intensive model and get a good 1 to 2 days of average use from a charge?
    Personally I'd be going with the model with all the bells and whistles simply because you can always tweak your settings and/or get an extended battery to help (if needed) but you can't tweak your hardware. As long as your phone is lasting you for the day..then I don't see the need for a phone with a 2-3 day charge..especially in today's world.
    01-20-11 08:03 AM
    As someone who was all set to pick up a Torch v1 this weekend, I was both excited and dismayed to see the rumors of the Torch 2. Excited because it's an upgraded version, and dismayed because it's an upgraded version lurking in the wings (possibly).

As a currently non-Blackberry owner, can I ask what is the general opinion on this alleged Torch 2?

Is it possibly the real deal? Or is this probably just someone's idea of a joke?
    "Ha hey! Let's pretend we have info on an upgraded Torch, with specs better than the Torch v1 but still behind the iPhone & Co."

Now I'm sure RIM are working on a Torch v2. It's been their SOP for several years now to release upgraded versions, and they're certainly not alone in doing this, but this "leaked" Torch 2 is not necessarily the one RIM are working on.

Just for the moment though, let's say it is, and that the projected Q3 Release is correct.
    As someone who was ready to buy a Torch v1 this weekend, are the upgraded specs worth waiting 8 months for?
    All I'm really seeing is a faster processor, which IMO just means the phone runs hotter & battery runs out faster. There's also the higher res screen but I got the chance to compare a friend's Torch with his iPhone4 this weekend and I really couldn't see any difference in the two.

Now, given that the rumors of this Torch 2 are completely unfounded, should I stick with my original plan and get the Torch v1 this weekend?

If I do, will I kick myself when the Torch 2 comes out in Aug/Sept.?

Or will the real Torch 2 probably not see release until Q4?

Come December, I'll have had almost a whole year to enjoy my Torch v1, and by the time my new contract expires in January, 2013, the Torch 2's successor will probably be out.

Hmm, I think I just answered my own questions. Thanks for being a sound board
    01-20-11 02:57 PM
    Glad we could help. You have made a wise decision.
    01-20-11 03:04 PM
    I'm lucky I don't have the hard decision. I'm stuck with my 8530 for 2 more years oh well at least I still have a BB and not a windows phone that thing sucked

01-20-11 03:11 PM
    I'm lucky I don't have the hard decision. I'm stuck with my 8530 for 2 more years oh well at least I still have a BB and not a windows phone that thing sucked

Being one that came from one of those WinMo phones, for me the nice thing was my ignorance: I didn't know what I was missing until I came to BB.

The sad thing for you is you have to wait (unless you have a warranty and "accidentally" drop your phone on the driveway and run over it). But good things come to those who wait. You may be one of the first to get a QNX BB phone!
    01-20-11 03:21 PM
    who cares about specs? As long as the experience is smooth and rich what does it matter in the least bit????

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    + + + 1 1 1
    01-21-11 04:50 AM
    Being one that came from one of those WinMo phones, for me the nice thing was my ignorance: I didn't know what I was missing until I came to BB.

The sad thing for you is you have to wait (unless you have a warranty and "accidentally" drop your phone on the driveway and run over it). But good things come to those who wait. You may be one of the first to get a QNX BB phone!
    I picked the wrong carrier for the "accidentally on purpose" dropping of the phone lol. Bell doesn't offer any kind of handset protection unless you call the smartphone insurance @ $7/month handset protection, but then you have to pay a minimum of $150 to get your phone replaced.

01-21-11 07:43 AM

Why wait? I'll sell you my Torch including holster and bedside cradle for $450 I'll even arrange to drive it up to Calgary for you hehe (I'm from Red Deer).
    01-21-11 07:50 AM
    Why wait? I'll sell you my Torch including holster and bedside cradle for $450 I'll even arrange to drive it up to Calgary for you hehe (I'm from Red Deer).
    Very tempting offer but I can't afford $450 or I'd have a torch by now. Thanks Rickroller, just curious why are you selling it?

01-21-11 09:34 AM
    Very tempting offer but I can't afford $450 or I'd have a torch by now. Thanks Rickroller, just curious why are you selling it?

You need to contact the OP on the thread titled "I Quit". Maybe he will sell you the one that he put in his drawer. Never know till you ask? I would PM him/her.
    01-21-11 09:53 AM
    You need to contact the OP on the thread titled "I Quit". Maybe he will sell you the one that he put in his drawer. Never know till you ask? I would PM him/her.
    I don't think I can use an at&t phone on the bell network (please correct me if I'm wrong I've never had a phone that didn't come directly from the carrier) and I'm sure he's not going to just give it away especially since he's had a few offers put down on his thread. No I will have to sit back and wait patiently and hope the torch comes way down in price in the next couple of years. This is the only time where I hate being a responsible Father & Husband when there is a new phone out lol. Don't ask me why I guess I'm just greedy

01-21-11 10:57 AM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD