This may or may not be true. It all depends on the processor design. Look at the current Intel lineup. They have processors with TDP's ranging from 35-130W. Just because the processor is faster, doesn't mean it will put out more heat or use more power. It all depends on the processors architecture.
    I understand this. I made a simple statement that I wasn't so sure anout the cpu upgrade for hear reasons. I didn't say there would be heat problems. I expressed true concerms and reasons for them. I dont see the cpu not drawonf more power or creating any more heay we'll see.
    18to12fifty no I'm not wrong. I never said that running software created heat. That woild be papped. What I said was the softwares time sjre on rhe clock caused the heat or draw on power. Now this is what I'm saying. We want a faster processor to speed up what we are doing right now in the same cyclic. By doubling the bandwidth we will work ir even harder. We will saturate the procosser. Now I believe that with the upgrfe beinf in the same case and using the same battert heat will an issue. Again we will see. I sure hope rhat Rim has this figired right and works out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 05:58 PM
    Rumors are just rumors, just have to wait till the final release! My upgrade will be right on time for the torch 2! Bring it on!
    01-13-11 06:26 PM
    Look ugly with the silver matte or just because the low-res of the picture.
    01-13-11 07:24 PM
    I am betting that the release slips to Black Friday 2011. I would definitely pick the Torch 2 over the proposed Dakota. The bar form factor is great if it meets your needs but the larger screen real estate makes for a better experience.
    01-13-11 07:58 PM
    1.2GHZ cpu!!!! Thats top of the line ..there aren't any dual core out only announcements about dual core ...I hate the souble standart people have with rim ..this is a GREAT phone if they do indeed drop this phone ..

01-13-11 08:21 PM
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would be interested in the new torch. I owned the original, and hated it. When and if this phone becomes available, I may take a look at it.
    01-13-11 09:08 PM
    RIM proposes to increase screen resolution, faster processor and browser and still the RIM critics are not satisfied. Why does RIM have to be a carbon copy of android or Apple? If RIM does not produce the device you want, move on. I suppose that you are ignoring the improved infrastructure that is being assembled by RIM as evidenced by the acquisitions and partnerships that have occurred shortly before and after the Torch was released in August of last year.
    01-13-11 09:17 PM
    Lmao the iPhone is the same thing...I m starting to believe that you guys just wanna ***** lol...this is a fantastic phone...if the specs are accurate this will be an amazing device..
    +1. Apple has put oiut the same damn device for the last for years with minor upgrades and not one person has bitched about that.Not to mention that they just got a damn flash on the phone a year ago. Rim does the same thing and its called a refresh, give me a break. What phone is not a refresh these days.

G1/G2, HD2/EVO/HD7, Droid/Dorid2/Dorid Global, and as mentioned all iPhones are all refeshes with hardware chages and even OS changes but these phones are called innovative and all of RIM's devices all called stupid. Get your heads out of your asses and wake up cause there has not been any cazy new ways to pull off a new design that has not already been done. Oh and the dumb statment that this model should have been what the first was not is also stupid, cause the next one you will say this is what the last model should have been. Sometimes you have to look at the glass as half empty instead of complety empty.

01-13-11 09:29 PM
    1.2GHZ cpu!!!! Thats top of the line ..there aren't any dual core out only announcements about dual core ...I hate the souble standart people have with rim ..this is a GREAT phone if they do indeed drop this phone ..

Yep. Ditto. I'm in for the long haul on the Torch. (If your ear's not flame retardant, then try a headset or bluetooth).
    01-13-11 10:05 PM
    Look ugly with the silver matte or just because the low-res of the picture.
    like i said, this is one old old old picture, PRE torch 1 release!
    01-13-11 10:05 PM
    1300 mAH battery! even the 2 year old Bolds have a higher capacity. Already not interested thanks
    Thought exactly the same way. This is the reason why I do not believe these sudden leaks. It says 1.2Ghz processor, which means even a shorter battery life.
    Somebody, if not RIM, has been making these leaks (new Bold with fancy specs too) in order to discourage jumping the ship. Spec look too fancy and "timely".
    Smell of bogus.
    01-13-11 10:37 PM

There aren't any dual cores out, only announcements about dual core? You are screaming about a double standard but your argument only has one little flaw...This is only an announcement, it's not out either. And those dual cores will be released long before this one is. Bet on it.
    01-13-11 10:43 PM
    There aren't any dual cores out, only announcements about dual core? You are screaming about a double standard but your argument only has one little flaw...This is only an announcement, it's not out either. And those dual cores will be released long before this one is. Bet on it.
    That, 67tucker, is a valid point. I do not see the need for the smirky sunglasses emoticon but your argument is solid.
    01-13-11 10:47 PM
    Just adding my .02 cents to the "refresh/re-build" argument. Granted, it is nice to see new form factors and revitalized designs... however, it is not in RIM's (or any other carrier for that matter) to totally redesign a phone each year.

Annual upgrades ARE going to happen to keep up with rapid tech changes. It is cheaper/wiser to ramp up a popular form factor with improved "internal functionality." Developing a new prototype annually, new testing on newly fabricated parts would be costly and take more time than impatient consumers want to wait.

I love the Torch form factor, would love to see it come to CDMA this year (in my dreams lol). I don't need to see the ALL NEW BlackBerry Flame-Thrower!

These are smartphones, functional and solid. Not dumbphones with a GREAT body!

Just my opinion...
    01-13-11 11:16 PM
    Why does RIM have to be a carbon copy of android or Apple?
    Cause they like the BB's os and dependability and Rim specific features but want android and apple's play pretties.

01-14-11 12:22 AM
    I got to say that I am pretty interested in this phone. Been looking at Dakota and wondering how Torch will work out.

Definitely looking for this update and see how it works (and if it is worth to buy one!)
    01-14-11 10:30 AM
    That, 67tucker, is a valid point. I do not see the need for the smirky sunglasses emoticon but your argument is solid.
    That might be the FIRST time anyone on this forum has ever said that about one of 67tucker's posts.
    01-14-11 08:24 PM
    Ditto that. In the mean time, my antiquated, featureless, irrelevant Torch is humming along just fine, doing all I need it to do better and more reliably than any other phone I've owned and several that I haven't. But it's nice to know what's coming when its time is up.

What makes you think this upgrade will make the Torch's life span will be longer?
    The Torch's been out for a few months... and no new stuff for it that makes it different from the rest of the blackberry line up. Do you really think this new phone will be totally different from the last one? Are we going to have super apps dedicated only for Torch 2? Specially when RIM try to keep all apps compatible and even between their phones!

This fills (financially speaking) RIM's gap between the Torch and the Torch's successor. Not much more than that.
    01-15-11 09:56 AM
    Of course this is a refresh people. How long has the Torch been on the market? Only a few months and I can see why they held off on the specs for this release. RIM built this phone for AT&T because they said their market research showed that this is what the people want (and I happen to agree as I love this design) but still how well could RIM have anticipated the sales on the phone? The Torch could have easily bombed and left RIM sitting on a stock pile of phones no one wants so in the first release you scale back to cut the costs of development down and see how the product does. Now they can see that even with outdated internals people still jumped at the chance to get one, so now they can put more into the development of the Torch brand and they know they will benefit from it down the road. Now that being said it was a bit of a risk to not have the up to date internals in the first Torch release as it could have gone the other way and the public ignored the phone because of the specs. I think RIM has done a great job so for in their attempts to bring the BB world to the average consumer, but remember the corporate world gave them the chance to flourish so as far as form factor I'm betting the sleek and sturdy designs are here to stay, or at least I hope they are because my old BB 8530 might not be the sexiest or the fastest but it's the best damn phone I've ever had and I can't wait to get my hands on a high end device like the Torch or Torch 2.

P.S. Sorry for the post coming across as an "I am Canadian" style speech but hey I am Canadian and so is RIM so it works lol.

01-15-11 11:08 AM
    This is so stupid. BGR is a spoiled iphone drooling fanboy, nothing they say has merit without someone else confirming it. These specs aren't bad, look at the torch specs and how smooth and luscious it is... We'll be doing great on these specs!

01-15-11 11:17 AM
    What are dual-core processors without better battery life? | PhoneDog

01-15-11 11:39 AM
    Wise move by RIM if they are going to the keep the same model and up the specs and software on a yearly or so basis.

In other tech industry many companies dont change the casing and much of the hardware if its possible as anyone knows the more that is tried and tested hopefully the fewer problems..
    01-15-11 11:51 AM
    Now they can see that even with outdated internals people still jumped at the chance to get one

This new things are the same story. To make the phone a little better? Make it competitive or just leave it as it is. There is absolutely no point to upgrade from torch 1 to torch 2, I repeat.
    01-16-11 12:45 AM
    I never said to upgrade from a Torch 1 to a Torch 2 that would be ridiculous however for someone like me who hasn't upgraded yet the Torch 2 is just a better option than the Torch 1 to keep up with the technology. New internals in an existing form factor is also more cost effective than making an all new design keeping the costs down for the consumer and right now that is where RIM needs to focus because the cost has been one of the biggest reasons the Blackberry name has been associated with corporate and commercial instead of consumer. Blackberry started the smartphone game but they let it get away from them by not becoming consumer friendly from the start.

01-16-11 12:58 AM
    I see your point, then of course it's more than obvious to get the Torch 2. But still you talk about new internals... It's kinda like a frankestein phone... a new cpu.. but same old stuff to go along with it.
    Hopefully I'm wrong and the torch 2 proves to be a huge improvement over the original torch, but I hardly doubt that.
    01-16-11 06:27 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD