Nah... Heat is more an issue of software optimization and radio reception than it is of anything else.
    You don't think a cpu running 2ce the clock is going to generate more hest? Sure more os and app use calls for more cpu useage which = more heat. It might not be an issue. However the other smartphones with 1ghz processors tend to get warm to hot. I've seen this with my own experance. I hope Rim pulls it off just don't have much faith in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 02:14 PM
    You do realize that RIM has one of the more diverse smartphone hardware designs in their portfolio right? Which is one of the reasons they have hardware fragmentation for their applications....

Companies like Apple and HTC have very similar designs across all handsets.
    Yes sirrr... I've been a Blackberry user since the old at&t days (before Cingular)... At the end of the day, these are great upgrades but I'd wish (as do many ppl) that RIM would put out something "NEW" and not just refreshing their styles.... And just like other companies do the same thing as far as reintroducing a better version of a previous design, I don't think this should be RIM's way of doing things considering the bevy of devices being pumped out with even better specs than this Torch 2... But if this is what the people want, then they win. But I'll just sit here and wait for that one device (Blackberry) that will change the game or atleast not look like the one I just bought...
    01-13-11 02:17 PM
    That is simply how hardware cycles run, they get updated every year with something better.

Still for many people, who just bought the device, this is a huge smack in the face. You go from rocking 3 year old hardware to actually getting with the times.
    Indeed.. But it's whatever at this point. People are just stuck on their ways of not seeing the bigger picture...
    01-13-11 02:19 PM
    You don't think a cpu running 2ce the clock is going to generate more hest? Sure more os and app use calls for more cpu useage which = more heat. It might not be an issue. However the other smartphones with 1ghz processors tend to get warm to hot. I've seen this with my own experance. I hope Rim pulls it off just don't have much faith in it.

You can have a 400mhz cpu and draw enough power from the battery to cause the phone to be too hot to touch.

Just something simple like constant radio problems can generate more heat than the cpu itself from battery draw.

The problem is you are comparing a totally different device, so you can't really point and say that it's just the cpu difference that is causing the heat generation.
    01-13-11 02:23 PM
    Lmao the iPhone is the same thing...I m starting to believe that you guys just wanna ***** lol...this is a fantastic phone...if the specs are accurate this will be an amazing device..
    01-13-11 02:26 PM
    I highly think this is not true.
    (Permanent face-palm).
    Lol. The Gospel.......according to ML.
    The fact that you "don't" believe it...... means it "has" to be true.

01-13-11 02:46 PM
    I am not impressed that it only has 512MB RAM. My upgrade is available in May, but nothing I've seen from RIM so far impresses me.

01-13-11 02:48 PM
    Will it be AT&T only? Or will it be available on a real network?

01-13-11 02:54 PM
    Will it be AT&T only? Or will it be available on a real network?

I see what you did there.
    01-13-11 03:01 PM
    What about Wifi? That would be a deal breaker for me.
    01-13-11 03:04 PM
    Of course it has wifi
    01-13-11 03:07 PM
    how will this look in late september when it is released?
    01-13-11 03:15 PM
    Of course it has wifi
    Wifi is mentioned for the 2 other phones but not this one. Why would I make assumptions?

01-13-11 03:16 PM
    how will this look in late september when it is released?
    well it wont look like that picture, because that pic is a pc generated render from BEFORE the torch (or is that now torch 1) was announced.
    01-13-11 03:19 PM
    The 1300 on my current Torch has been fine for me. It lasts the 18 hours I'm awake each day so that is all I need. My Bold 9000 had a bigger battery but it didn't always make it a full day. You can't really compare to older phones as newer tech usually runs more efficiently.
    Mine lasts even longer than that! I follow a strict regimen: turn all connections off, turn the screen way down and keep it holstered. And just to be safe - recharge every night.
    01-13-11 03:32 PM
    I don't know what rim can do to impress you guys lol
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-13-11 03:54 PM
    I don't think this is worthy being called "Torch 2"... It looks identical.... How about putting this CPU into a NEW device with a bigger and better screen....

You want the device to be bigger & heavier than it already it?
    How about we make the Torch 2 the same size a playbook & call it Torture?
    01-13-11 03:55 PM
    Hit the gym if the Torch is heavy for you... Lol.
    Bigger doesn't mean heavier....
    Last edited by escobar973; 01-13-11 at 04:15 PM.
    01-13-11 04:12 PM
    Hearing this news and being it Might be released in Q3, makes me wish I had waited.

Although the first gen torch is nice, having the better specs is what it should have been released at. Kinda surprised its OS6.1 and not a QNX OS. makes me wonder if it will be able to handle QNX when it is released on a handheld?
    01-13-11 04:48 PM
    You can have a 400mhz cpu and draw enough power from the battery to cause the phone to be too hot to touch.

Just something simple like constant radio problems can generate more heat than the cpu itself from battery draw.

The problem is you are comparing a totally different device, so you can't really point and say that it's just the cpu difference that is causing the heat generation.
    We're not talking about raising the band width from 360 to 400 mhz or 400 mhz to 600 mhz. We're talking twice the band width in the same case with same battery. That cpu is going to be doing 2ce the work in the same cyclic. Of course its going ti draw more heat. I've read on here some people heating up the Torch in hand now. The only way running siftware can build heat is the working of the processor and the drawing of power. Same device 2ce the work very well can mean more heat.

01-13-11 04:55 PM
    Yes sirrr... I've been a Blackberry user since the old at&t days (before Cingular)... At the end of the day, these are great upgrades but I'd wish (as do many ppl) that RIM would put out something "NEW" and not just refreshing their styles.... And just like other companies do the same thing as far as reintroducing a better version of a previous design, I don't think this should be RIM's way of doing things considering the bevy of devices being pumped out with even better specs than this Torch 2... But if this is what the people want, then they win. But I'll just sit here and wait for that one device (Blackberry) that will change the game or atleast not look like the one I just bought...
    First you're complaining that they're upgrading a device that's only a few months old, then you say they never come out with anything new. Which is it? Or are you another one who just likes to complain about everything RIM does? (Oh, right ... you're not complaining, just posting an opinion ... the same negative opinion. Again.) Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe they're not refreshing their styles because those styles work just fine as they are? I think it's stupid to change the look of something simply to change its look. I'd much rather see improvements under the hood, and RIM has done exactly that.

The Torch is the first BB with a slider, and it's only 5 months old. The Torch was also the ONLY smart phone with a slider on AT&T when it was introduced. I mean, wouldn't you be REALLY pist off if you bought their flagship phone right when it was released, and only 5 months later they introduce ANOTHER flagship phone? Everybody complained that it only had a 624 mhz processor (which works absolutely flawlessly for most of us, despite its 'meager', outdated specifications). Now they've announced an upgrade to 1.2 ghz, a better display and oo-gatz memory that you'd think would maybe pacify some of the spec sheet nuts. But no; it's the same phone with a crappy upgrade, or 1.2 ghz is still too slow, or it's not a dual-core, or it's still OS6, or it doesn't make my dinner, clean my clothes or wipe my but t when I p o o p. Does Android do that? No???? Well then Google must be doomed, too.

I like it. When my Torch 1 plan is up for renewal, its nice to know that this phone will be available.
    Ditto that. In the mean time, my antiquated, featureless, irrelevant Torch is humming along just fine, doing all I need it to do better and more reliably than any other phone I've owned and several that I haven't. But it's nice to know what's coming when its time is up.
    01-13-11 05:12 PM
    Hearing this news and being it Might be released in Q3, makes me wish I had waited.

Although the first gen torch is nice, having the better specs is what it should have been released at. Kinda surprised its OS6.1 and not a QNX OS. makes me wonder if it will be able to handle QNX when it is released on a handheld?
    I kinda doubt it; my understanding is that QNX pretty much needs a dual-core processor. I would guess that they're releasing this to hook the folks who were mid-contract when Torch 1 was released to hold them over until a significant assortment of QNX phones comes out. If when my Torch's time is up they don't have a QNX device in this or a similar form factor, I'd have no problem jumping on the Torch 2.

We're not talking about raising the band width from 360 to 400 mhz or 400 mhz to 600 mhz. We're talking twice the band width in the same case with same battery. That cpu is going to be doing 2ce the work in the same cyclic. Of course its going ti draw more heat. I've read on here some people heating up the Torch in hand now. The only way running siftware can build heat is the working of the processor and the drawing of power. Same device 2ce the work very well can mean more heat.

I believe you would be incorrect there, sir. My phone gets much warmer on a long call than it does running apps and stuff. I can have several apps running, multiple browser tabs, mail, text, whatever, and I never notice any heat; but it's definitely warm on a call that's more than 10 minutes. Not saying a faster processor won't make more heat, but isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion that it will, either.
    01-13-11 05:28 PM

This may or may not be true. It all depends on the processor design. Look at the current Intel lineup. They have processors with TDP's ranging from 35-130W. Just because the processor is faster, doesn't mean it will put out more heat or use more power. It all depends on the processors architecture.
    01-13-11 05:34 PM
    First you're complaining that they're upgrading a device that's only a few months old, then you say they never come out with anything new. Which is it? Or are you another one who just likes to complain about everything RIM does? (Oh, right ... you're not complaining, just posting an opinion ... the same negative opinion. Again.) Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe they're not refreshing their styles because those styles work just fine as they are? I think it's stupid to change the look of something simply to change its look. I'd much rather see improvements under the hood, and RIM has done exactly that.

The Torch is the first BB with a slider, and it's only 5 months old. The Torch was also the ONLY smart phone with a slider on AT&T when it was introduced. I mean, wouldn't you be REALLY pist off if you bought their flagship phone right when it was released, and only 5 months later they introduce ANOTHER flagship phone? Everybody complained that it only had a 624 mhz processor (which works absolutely flawlessly for most of us, despite its 'meager', outdated specifications). Now they've announced an upgrade to 1.2 ghz, a better display and oo-gatz memory that you'd think would maybe pacify some of the spec sheet nuts. But no; it's the same phone with a crappy upgrade, or 1.2 ghz is still too slow, or it's not a dual-core, or it's still OS6, or it doesn't make my dinner, clean my clothes or wipe my but t when I p o o p. Does Android do that? No???? Well then Google must be doomed, too.
    So your response to my opinion is by offering yours...? Classic. I guess this forum is to only praise RIM and not want and expect a little more out of them, am I right? If you like what you see in what this "possible" Torch 2 is going to come out with, then homie good for you.... I've rocked a Blackberry since the 7280c and I've seen Blackberry come from a blk/wht screen, the trackwheel, trackball, trackpad and touchscreen... So yeah, RIM should step their game up because BBM and push email can't be their selling point forever... Blackberry isn't just the "corporate man's device" anymore.... Consumers will always want more.... Not just me.
    01-13-11 05:35 PM
    Lol honestly people, when RIM releases refeshed devices its a problem and everyone has a fit about it. But when Apple (yes the iPhones are refreshed devices, think beyond what SJ calls "NEW") or HTC do it, its either no one cares or its totally fine. The reason why RIM is doing this is because they know they have sold a great amount of units which means everyone either loves it or is satisfied with it and want to give them more. Imagine if RIM did not release a Storm 2 and everyone who had the Storm 1 were stuck with a slow and crappy touch screen. They've listened to out wants and concerns and are doing something about it. I myself would get it as a replacement in a heartbeat because its better than what my current Torch has and hopefully better build quality. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to get it. Not everyone thinks or wants the samething that's why we all have options. I bet if the Torch 1 was discontinued and everyone had the choice to get the Torch 2 as a replacement (like the Storm 1 and 2), no one would complain. Now quit bashing RIM for doing their thing cuz I sure hope this rumor becomes true.

01-13-11 05:49 PM
127 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD