The foam size is not an exact science...I started with a small piece and then tried to carefully push it down with a laminated business card. At first this required more force than I was comfortable with, so I trimmed back until the foam slid in with enough force that I felt the fit was snug, but wasn't toooo much if you know what I mean. Really mostly a feel thing. I don't think you can do too much harm with foam and a business card. the phone should withstand such things, the card would probably fold before you could apply too much pressure. As for getting it out, I'm not overly concerned, it's a tiny piece of foam. That said, I would like to know where exactly the top of the phone is wired to the bottom, if anyone knows, to avoid intentionally messing in that area.
    Yeah I understand, thanks OP. I think I'm just a little bit too paranoid for my own good. Absolutely loving this phone though. Apart from that and a creaky bezel (which is also kinda annoying, but I bought it off eBay and I'm using it in HK so I can't exchange), this is a huge step up from my iPhone 3G for the things I want my phone to do.
    09-10-10 01:33 PM
    Want to do the fix, but looking at my device, I can't imagine how anything let alone a small piece of insulation will/could fit between the two pieces. You talk about the size of pencil eraser, but how thin is the slice? I tried sliding a piece of paper into the opening and could barely get that to fit. So am confused about how to do the fix.
    09-10-10 01:55 PM
    Want to do the fix, but looking at my device, I can't imagine how anything let alone a small piece of insulation will/could fit between the two pieces. You talk about the size of pencil eraser, but how thin is the slice? I tried sliding a piece of paper into the opening and could barely get that to fit. So am confused about how to do the fix.
    A tiny piece of foam can be compressed down to a slice the width of paper, even then it IS a tight squeeze. As I said, this "big" problem is caused by extremely small tolerances.
    09-10-10 05:41 PM
    Is this like the business card fix for the wobbly screen on the Storm or the scotch tape fix for the leaning trackpad on the 9700.. I swear RIM makes some of the sloppiest hardware in the industry. At least they're being consistent.
    09-10-10 06:02 PM
    Nah, it's us! I am a gadget freak, and in basically every gadget there's a group of fanatics who go on message boards and obsess over details that most general users would not detect. I collect watches, for example, and there have been dozens of threads over the years about displays in Casio G Shocks (one of the best built electronic items of all time, IMHO) being slightly off center (much better now, BTW). Getting the "perfect" one by going back to the store and having the clerk pull out every one to get the "best" is just like the wiggle issue. Most people would not detect either issue as a problem, but we do. I handled my G Shock issues the same way as the wiggle, by fixing it myself....after all, there was nothing worse then getting a perfect G Shock display only to arrive home and question whether the alarm was as loud and the backlight as bright as the one returned!
    09-11-10 06:40 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure why "wiggle" is considered a problem. Every slider I have has "wiggle". My palm pre "wiggles". My mytouch 3g slide "wiggles", my MDA (htc wizard! Old school) "wiggles". It's the nature of the form factor I'm afraid. The only "fix" is to take the thing apart and tighten the mechanism. I surely won't be jamming things down the back of my phone and if you watch the youtube teardown video you'll see where those things end up if it goes wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-11-10 at 07:48 AM.
    09-11-10 07:45 AM
    You ppl are saying that I have a rubber antenna, yet you have to rely on duck tape! Very funny man!!!
    09-11-10 08:08 AM
    You ppl are saying that I have a rubber antenna, yet you have to rely on duck tape! Very funny man!!!
    lol ya .. atleast our fix doesnt change the whole look of the phone ... and atleast its not mandatory .....
    09-11-10 09:15 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure why "wiggle" is considered a problem. Every slider I have has "wiggle". My palm pre "wiggles". My mytouch 3g slide "wiggles", my MDA (htc wizard! Old school) "wiggles". It's the nature of the form factor I'm afraid. The only "fix" is to take the thing apart and tighten the mechanism. I surely won't be jamming things down the back of my phone and if you watch the youtube teardown video you'll see where those things end up if it goes wrong.

My foam insert hasn't budged since installation, and given the nature of the material, I doubt it ever will. If I ever need to tweak my installation I would probably cut the foam into a VERY thin strip about 1.25" long, that way it would be impossible to get into the ribbon hole, which is the only area I can see this causing any trouble.
    09-11-10 09:48 AM

Moto Droid doesn't wiggle.
    09-11-10 09:48 AM
    My wife's old LG Shine was a rock solid slider... still is......
    The whole phone was built of metal....... great build quality in a $50 phone.....

Much more solid than my Torch in every way. And a smoother slider...
    09-11-10 09:57 AM
    lol ya .. atleast our fix doesnt change the whole look of the phone ... and atleast its not mandatory .....
    FYI:
    Not mandatory on the iP4 either.
    Most users don't have a problem.
    09-11-10 11:21 AM
    Although I'm not having w problem with wiggling (I just don't care much about a small wiggle) if it feels tighter I might have to give this a try. Keep us posted!

09-11-10 11:29 AM
    Of course there is also no keyboard. It's truly amazing to me how the so-called experts panned the Torch based on processor speed and screen resolution when 99% of people in the market for a smartphone would have thought these were just fine on the BB...and did not emphasize the near perfect integration of a touchsreen and keypad, which 99% of the same people would appreciate. Business people with heavy email use are kidding themselves that a pure touchscreen is acceptable, it's not, and most younger folks use text more than the phone. To me, using pure touch is like using chopsticks instead of a knife and fork...kind of cool at first, but annoying as **** later. It's a real shame that so many people will avoid this phone based on tech specs that are generally irrelevant to them...and equally foolish that RIM tossed the experts a softball to save a few bucks.
    +1 -- Exactly the way I feel. Could not have phrased it better. I keep checking out the iPhones and the other all touch screen devices in the stores and wondering what is wrong with me? Why can't I see that this is the ultimate way to interact with a device? Not sure what the word is, too imprecise for me. Sorry, just cannot bring myself to make the jump to all touch. And I feel like I am standing in the way of progress of humankind. lol
    09-11-10 11:34 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure why "wiggle" is considered a problem.
    I love everything else about this phone, and if "fixing" this "problem" (for free, and without damaging or mucking up the phone) can make my phone feel more solid, then I might as well do it to make my phone even more awesome to me.
    09-12-10 10:13 AM
    Actually I found the perfect fix today... I got the iPhone 4 and there is no wiggle whatsoever. LOL!!!

wow thats great idea! how is the bes or bis connection working for you? how do you like typing in the bbm on the touch screen and is the appworld working for you? what size of the microSD cards are supported ;-)
    09-12-10 11:13 AM
    wow thats great idea! how is the bes or bis connection working for you? how do you like typing in the bbm on the touch screen and is the appworld working for you? what size of the microSD cards are supported ;-)
    lmaooo nice
    09-12-10 11:54 AM
    @maara
    I never used bes!
    Apps are better on the iphone!
    I had 4 gigs of memory on my torch, now i have 16!
    I never used bbm. I always did a dm delete of that app.
    So as u can see, i dont have a problem regarding that stuff.
    If youre trying to say the torch is better bc of that, then is not better!
    But on the downside, i can take amazing pics and videos, webpages look amazing, there is soooo many things compatible with the iphone that the comparison vs the torch is funny. So dont try to say the torch is better phone, because its not...

09-13-10 07:23 AM
    @maara
    I never used bes!
    Apps are better on the iphone!
    I had 4 gigs of memory on my torch, now i have 16!
    I never used bbm. I always did a dm delete of that app.
    So as u can see, i dont have a problem regarding that stuff.
    If youre trying to say the torch is better bc of that, then is not better!
    But on the downside, i can take amazing pics and videos, webpages look amazing, there is soooo many things compatible with the iphone that the comparison vs the torch is funny. So dont try to say the torch is better phone, because its not...

16 gb of memory? sad you had to use itunes to upload **** to it .. POS
    o and by the way ... 4gb is internal memory on the torch ... its expandable to 32gb .. which means 32gb + 4 gb = 36gb ...

and your the i"phone" is better then the torch? yet it does all those things other devices does .. like take pics and **** like that ... but hey .. isnt the i"phone" suppose to be a phone???

lets see it make a proper call you ******

go buy yourself a pink bumper with bumps on it .. turn the vibrate on .. and shove it up your *** ...
    09-13-10 07:46 AM
    here are some pictures of the wiggle fix...

Wiggle fix | Mobile Phone Files Download
    09-13-10 09:57 AM
    FYI:
    Not mandatory on the iP4 either.
    Most users don't have a problem.
    Correction, ALL users have the problem, it's just most aren't in a situation where it will effect them.
    09-13-10 11:10 AM
    Correction, ALL users have the problem, it's just most aren't in a situation where it will effect them.
    I don't follow you logic. If it never happens to someone, how can it be considered a problem?

That's like saying humans have structural bone weakness that manifests itself when a piano falls on your head.
    Would we go around talking about the 'Piano Death Squish' issue?
    Would piano manufacturers institute a free helmet program?
    09-13-10 02:59 PM
    My whole team has a wiggle on our torches that we got about 3 weeks ago. I got a new one in the mail today for a user and has ZERO wiggle.
    09-13-10 03:07 PM
    I don't follow you logic. If it never happens to someone, how can it be considered a problem?

That's like saying humans have structural bone weakness that manifests itself when a piano falls on your head.
    Would we go around talking about the 'Piano Death Squish' issue?
    Would piano manufacturers institute a free helmet program?
    Does a tree that falls in the woods make a noise when no one is around? The problem will always be there, whether or not the user is causing the problem or not.
    09-13-10 03:11 PM
    Alright, so I just did the fix. Found some Styrofoam and cut a long strip (about an inch long, and a thickness of maybe 4 sheets of paper, and about an 1/2 of in inch wide)

I compressed the small sheet until it became thin but maintained the 1.5" length. Centered it on the back of my screen with the screen raised and used a business card to gently slide the piece between the phone screen and the back. I closed the screen a bit as doing it to help ease the piece of Styrofoam down. I get VERY little wiggle now when my screen is closed, and NONE when it is open. I did not really feel an issue with the slide, and it still slides great!

Sorry for the crude drawing, but I hope it helps shed some light on what I did and make things easier to understand.
    09-13-10 04:25 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD