Like some I wasn't sure I had a problem until visiting this forum. The dimension of my wiggle issue was limited to the use of the touch screen when the Torch was closed. As best described, it felt like the touch screen was giving a tactile response (like the Storm). I also saw the Post-IT note fix, but I wanted a little more elegant solution. I hit my garage for some insulation foam, the kind you buy in strips to seal doors and windows (home depot, Lowes, etc). I cut the tiniest piece, less than the size of a pencil eraser, and carefully inserted (pushing the foam with a business card) down the middle between the back of the extended screen and the base until the foam was just out of sight. The unit is now solid as a rock, really, and that tiny piece of foam won't move at all upon opening and closing the screen. I cant see this causing any harm as lint etc is bound to get into that dead space over time anyway. If anything, the tiny bit of foam probably adds some needed support to the screen and will likely prevent the wiggle from getting any worse. As a kicker, the back of my unit had a barely noticeable bit of play...so I put a similar size piece of foam on top of the battery and closed her up. Perfect!
    09-09-10 08:57 PM
    We call that southern engineering. Good job!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 09:17 PM
    Nice work! Keep us posted on how it holds up.

09-09-10 09:29 PM
    can u post some pics please??
    09-09-10 09:37 PM
    Nice work! Keep us posted on how it holds up.

Thanks guys, I learned my lesson in trying to get that "perfect unit" by return and replacement. Sometimes it works, sometimes a worse problem crops up in the replacement. This problem was so minor that seeking an exchange seemed unwise given that everything else was working fine. By the way, now that I think about it, in some electronic items that small piece of foam is SOP between the battery and cover...if you look at the inside back of torch battery cover you will see a spot where it sure looks like there was a spot intended for some foam!
    09-09-10 09:48 PM
    Actually I found the perfect fix today... I got the iPhone 4 and there is no wiggle whatsoever. LOL!!!

09-09-10 09:55 PM
    Actually I found the perfect fix today... I got the iPhone 4 and there is no wiggle whatsoever. LOL!!!

Hilarious. Enjoy short battery life.
    09-09-10 10:00 PM

congrats i would have called you when i found out but you woudlnt have gotten it so i figured why bother hope you enjoy everything but a phone
    09-09-10 10:04 PM

I tried to email you about that but never heard back. Hmm ... I guess your email push on that toy is a little slow ROFLMAO

OP glad you found a fix. Keep us posted on how it holds up.
    09-09-10 10:11 PM
    LOL at the responses.

I am pretty certain that they will all develop more "wiggle" as time goes on. I just exchanged mine this week. The screen only moved a small amount but the lower bezel had a spot that was loose. The two issues combined resulted in a "creaking" sound when I used the touchscreen. The new one feels tighter but for how long I don't know. If it becomes a nuisance I will eventually take it apart and attempt to come up with a mechanical fix. I'm sure it's a simple design so it shouldn't be hard to figure out. I love the phone and this one isn't going back unless something else goes wrong.
    09-09-10 10:14 PM

Too bad you can"t rely on it as a phone...LOL!
    09-09-10 11:31 PM
    Too bad you can"t rely on it as a phone...LOL!
    Sure you can, as long as it has a rubber antenna... LOL!!!
    09-10-10 04:49 AM

hhhmmmmmm?
    09-10-10 04:54 AM
    Hilarious. Enjoy short battery life.
    I got the iphone 4, and it was THE WORST battery life ON EARTH (better than iphone 2g, 3g, & 3gs tho! Lol). I actually had it for 5 days and sent it back. I charged it every 6 hours because it got below 10% from usage on EDGE .... ufff....

I went back to my BB and HAMMERED on it all day (15 hour day) and when I went to bed at 2AM it was at 43% battery. God I love BB. I know the Torch will be worse than my 9700, but i HOPE it's better than the Storm2 which showed me 8 hour battery life.

On the other hand, I'll tell you, the iPhone is a FUN os. it makes me feel all.... user friendly. Lol. I prefer the customization of the BB .
    09-10-10 05:13 AM

Of course there is also no keyboard. It's truly amazing to me how the so-called experts panned the Torch based on processor speed and screen resolution when 99% of people in the market for a smartphone would have thought these were just fine on the BB...and did not emphasize the near perfect integration of a touchsreen and keypad, which 99% of the same people would appreciate. Business people with heavy email use are kidding themselves that a pure touchscreen is acceptable, it's not, and most younger folks use text more than the phone. To me, using pure touch is like using chopsticks instead of a knife and fork...kind of cool at first, but annoying as **** later. It's a real shame that so many people will avoid this phone based on tech specs that are generally irrelevant to them...and equally foolish that RIM tossed the experts a softball to save a few bucks.
    09-10-10 05:30 AM

I know this dead horse has been beaten, and I normally don't even bother with comments like this... But seriously, who logs on to CB from their Iphone just to post useless responses?? Are you that bored?
    09-10-10 07:06 AM
    It's a real shame that so many people will avoid this phone based on tech specs that are generally irrelevant to them...and equally foolish that RIM tossed the experts a softball to save a few bucks.
    Very well said and true,

09-10-10 07:20 AM
    Are you that bored?
    He shouldn't be... there's got to be an app for that.
    09-10-10 07:35 AM
    couple of thoughts here

i used the electrical tape fix for my wiggle on my second torch.. have since turned that in for another torch and the wiggle is better but its still there... will never find a perfect torch.

the iphone 4 has great battery life, my wife just upgraded from the 3gs and the battery life is much better.
    09-10-10 07:42 AM
    couple of thoughts here

i used the electrical tape fix for my wiggle on my second torch.. have since turned that in for another torch and the wiggle is better but its still there... will never find a perfect torch.

the iphone 4 has great battery life, my wife just upgraded from the 3gs and the battery life is much better.

I suppose I should have put this in my original post, but the foam should be a fundamentally better fix because of the ability of the foam to expand and contract as needed to stabilize the screen. I think the "problem" is caused by extremely tight tolerances...the screen must move freely, yet be tight. I don't buy the idea of loose screws or a defect at all. The slightest bend, expansion, contraction etc of the unit's parts based on temp, humidity, using the mechanism etc can all cause there to be a tiny space between the base and screen, causing the wobble, which also can be better/worse on any given day. I also believe that with this design all Torch's, indeed all sliders, will have this issue to some degree, either now or later. The foam solution should work for a good long time, if not the life of the phone.
    09-10-10 09:04 AM
    too bad you can"t rely on it as a phone...lol!
    qfmft!!...
    09-10-10 09:32 AM
    Shattered Dreams

Apple Says "We Have Enough Fart Apps," Here's Why That's Wrong

09-10-10 11:13 AM
    This seems like a great idea, thanks OP. Can you please let us know how it's going after a few days? (i.e. does the wiggle come back, was the slide action affected in any way)

Can you please give a rough estimate on how small/large the piece of foam was? I realize that you said it was smaller than a pencil eraser, but I'm just a little paranoid of stuffing something into that space, and not being able to get it out or making the mechanism looser. Was it about half the size of a pencil eraser, or a bit smaller? I apologize if this is kind of vague and petty but I want to do this right and not have to think about it again.

The reason I ask is because I did the Post-It fix a few days ago and it wasn't the greatest. It fixed the wiggle a little bit, but it's still there. I suspect that the closer to the "top" (near lock button, versus the mouthpiece - "bottom") you have your "wedge" (in my case, the Post-It; in yours, the foam), the less wiggle there is (since the "top" of the phone is now propped up while the bottom is "forced down" by the slight elevation at the "top" of the phone). I think what happened when I nudged my Post-It was that it basically fell to the bottom of the phone (inside the slide), where there was already some space (hence a wobble when I press my Send/Home/Back/End keys), so it didn't do as great of a job wedging the top.

When I did the Post-It fix and I slid my phone open for the first time afterward, I think the Post-It was caught on the mechanism, so the screen kinda came "up" a bit and the slider opened with much difficulty. I panicked, but after a few more slides, the Post-It fell into place and my slider slides normally, but there is still a slight wiggle.

In any case, I would like to try this but I want to make sure this method holds for you after some use, and I want to do it right. I'm a bit nervous shoving more stuff in between my slider; what are your thoughts?

I know this sounds kinda petty but I actually LOVE this phone, and the wiggle is honestly the ONLY thing bugs me about it (I'm used to one-piece phones, and the wiggle makes the phone feel a little cheap).
    09-10-10 12:02 PM
    This seems like a great idea, thanks OP. Can you please let us know how it's going after a few days? (i.e. does the wiggle come back, was the slide action affected in any way)

Can you please give a rough estimate on how small/large the piece of foam was? I realize that you said it was smaller than a pencil eraser, but I'm just a little paranoid of stuffing something into that space, and not being able to get it out or making the mechanism looser. Was it about half the size of a pencil eraser, or a bit smaller? I apologize if this is kind of vague and petty but I want to do this right and not have to think about it again.

The reason I ask is because I did the Post-It fix a few days ago and it wasn't the greatest. It fixed the wiggle a little bit, but it's still there. I suspect that the closer to the "top" (near lock button, versus the mouthpiece - "bottom") you have your "wedge" (in my case, the Post-It; in yours, the foam), the less wiggle there is (since the "top" of the phone is now propped up while the bottom is "forced down" by the slight elevation at the "top" of the phone). I think what happened when I nudged my Post-It was that it basically fell to the bottom of the phone (inside the slide), where there was already some space (hence a wobble when I press my Send/Home/Back/End keys), so it didn't do as great of a job wedging the top.

When I did the Post-It fix and I slid my phone open for the first time afterward, I think the Post-It was caught on the mechanism, so the screen kinda came "up" a bit and the slider opened with much difficulty. I panicked, but after a few more slides, the Post-It fell into place and my slider slides normally, but there is still a slight wiggle.

In any case, I would like to try this but I want to make sure this method holds for you after some use, and I want to do it right. I'm a bit nervous shoving more stuff in between my slider; what are your thoughts?

I know this sounds kinda petty but I actually LOVE this phone, and the wiggle is honestly the ONLY thing bugs me about it (I'm used to one-piece phones, and the wiggle makes the phone feel a little cheap).

The foam size is not an exact science...I started with a small piece and then tried to carefully push it down with a laminated business card. At first this required more force than I was comfortable with, so I trimmed back until the foam slid in with enough force that I felt the fit was snug, but wasn't toooo much if you know what I mean. Really mostly a feel thing. I don't think you can do too much harm with foam and a business card. the phone should withstand such things, the card would probably fold before you could apply too much pressure. As for getting it out, I'm not overly concerned, it's a tiny piece of foam. That said, I would like to know where exactly the top of the phone is wired to the bottom, if anyone knows, to avoid intentionally messing in that area.
    09-10-10 12:35 PM
    And now, a public service message from:

Keep haytin peeplz!

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 09-10-10 at 12:44 PM.
    09-10-10 12:36 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD